You know your Viper is "really" detailed when . . .

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know your Viper is \"really\" detailed when . . .

. . . the inboard sidewalls of the tires have dressing on them! :D Follow my lead here guys.

Well after the noob mistake of spraying into the rear vents during my basic wash job and getting the rear carpet wet, I spent another 10 hours detailing the wheel-weels and four corners of my 98 GTS. Looks great (the control arms actually look like aluminum now!) and no big problems discovered. A few small ones though. I need new sway bar end links as the little rubber boots that hold the grease for the ball joint are all blown, and I think it was aggravated by my larger-than-stock diamter rear tires, but the lower rear inner fender panel that creates a corner of the battery enclosure came away at its upper-inboard attachment point and the tire wore a huge hole in the side so that the battery was expose (I suggest everyone check this in their car - you can see and feel it while the car is whole). More stuff to order from Dodge. Biggest diappointment is that a previous owner hit/drove in some goop with the driver's side and made a big mess. It is light colored so not tar, and is a little bit flexible so I think it is paint rather than dry wall mud of plaster. You cannot see it from outside, but both wheel wells and the entire underside of the sill are covered. It comes off, but what a pain (hard to scrape the concave fender liners). I think workmen who let 5-gallon buckets of paint fall off the back of their truck should be tortured. Other thing I saw is that the exhaust is horrible (touches the frame - goes from 3" to 2.5" - worst welds you have ever seen) and I hope Lou Belanger can get me in this week to get it sorted out (yeah my little mini-sig is premature).

Thanks for listening to my "weekend in hades detailing blog" (it was close to 110F all weekend - so hot my pool got up to 96F). I will continue to work on my budget GTS so it is an acceptable member of the breed.

WickedV

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: You know your Viper is

If I may ask, how much did you pay for it, since you call it your 'budget GTS'?

OP
OP
PhoenixGTS

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If I may ask, how much did you pay for it, since you call it your 'budget GTS'?
I bought it about three weeks ago for $40k. It had the HREs and brand new Michelins (the wheels and tires were probably around $8k new). I was definitely going to put wheels on any GTS I bought so the wheels had a big value to me, even considering I plan on refurbishing the wheels (I'm hoping $500 on the refurbishment). The car has been neglected, but the following should get it to acceptable spec:

1) Clean it (interior/exterior/four corners of undercarriage done);
2) Quiet it down (de-squeaked the interior already, hope to get it to Belangers this week to have the exhaust sorted, and plan on installing some insulation materials under the carpeting);
3) fix all problems (have many parts on order like shifter boots and interior trim pieces that are needed, now have to do sway bar end links and some inner fender liner pieces;
4) straighten out questionable aftermarket stereo install;
5) refresh body (plan on repainting front and rear facia and side sills and wheel centers);
6) short gears and if budget allows, maybe a VEC2.

My goal is to get it straight for less than $45k total and hopefully the market will come back to us owners and the car will be worth more than I have into it. Would like to be done when our monsoon season is over and the weather breaks (so it is more fun to drive).

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I guess the first step is admitting you have a problem.

My GTS is detailed like that. I do drive it, but several times a year it gets the full treatment, wheels off, etc.

I had a '94 RT for about year that I bought from Bill Pemberton and later traded in to Bill...and he told me it was the first time a car came back better than it left!

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I take my wheels off 2 times a year and clean the hell out of the wheel well, all of the suspension parts, and the back of the tires and wheels. Anal......maybe, but who cares; makes me feel good and I spend quality time with my Viper! :D Never found anything wrong like you did so maybe it isn't such a bad thing to do.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dang, and I thought I was anal for cleaning my hood pad. I've cleaned my suspension but NEVER the inboard side of the tires!