Your kids and your viper !!

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No freakin' way. If the kid is mature for his age he will totally understand. Then he will respect your decision and let it go.

I am an old fart, and I worked my ars off to provide for my children. There is no way I would chance something like that, just so they could show off in front of their friends.

Midwest Muscle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I drove a '77 Camaro with a nitrous-injected 396 big block when I was 16. But the "Dad rules" were incredibly strict, and I knew better than to break them.

Don't know what I'd do about the Viper driving request. It really depends on the kid asking. Some I would trust, others I most likely wouldn't.

Mike M

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Peer pressure is an adolescent's kryptonite.

My son recently attended the funeral of one of his high school buddies that hopped into a car (not even a sports car)that another kid took without their parents permission. They then picked up 2 more kids. Sometime after midinght they were involved in a terrible accident. 2 dead 2 still in the hospital in critical condition.

I trust my son to a point, that's why I keep the keys hidden.
jmo

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm only 24 and dont have any kids, but I agree peer pressue COULD be a problem for someone pulling up in a Viper to the local hangout place. The only person to ever drive my car without me in the passenger seat was my dad (who's a lot more mature and a retired fire truck driver) and I still called him and checked on the car lol. Vipers just have the "drive me hard" image and you have to be pretty mature to know where you're limits are in respect to the performance of the car. If I was a dad and really trusted my son/daughter, I think I'd let him take it to the prom, but not to the A&W. I think peer pressure to drag race and act stupid would be higher at the A&W. Plus I'd want the car back home before they went to any after-prom parties. I wouldnt mind them taking it to the prom and making a nice entrance in it, but prom parties can get too wild and could potentially become as bad as the local hangout when it comes to pressure to showoff.

Larry94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My son's are now 21 and 24. But when I first bought my viper in 1994 they were only 9 and 12. From the start they showed an interest in the car and enjoyed riding along. After they got their licenses I let them drive with me in the passenger seat. As they got more familiar with the car, I let them take short excursions on their own. This led to a respect for the car and what it could do. As a consequence, for the past 2 years I have taken each of them to several Viper Days events where they ran in the novice group while I ran in the intermediate group. Believe me, there is nothing more satisfying than spending a weekend with your son or daughter doing something that you both have a passion for.

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately the day is coming for me...I have 2 boys Austin 10 and Parker 7. I'm not quite sure how I would react to such a request thankfully I have some time to stew it over.

1BADBITE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My daughter was hesitant initially until her peers at University constantly
haggled her - did you drive it ? did you drive it yet ? Finally she succumed to my driving lessons. Little did she realize the attention that accompanies a Viper. I've created a monster !

4721LINSVIP-med.jpg

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great pictures everyone. I do not have any kids but I let my younger brother drive it a few weeks ago for the first time. He is 17. I was VERY hesitant at first but then said I would let him after him hassling me for the last few years. :) . He knows how to drive stick and I trusted that he would not do anything crazy so we took it out. It was only a few short miles but I think it made his day. He was very nervous but he got the hang of it after a few minutes. I was worth it since he was going back to private school the next day. It was my good deed. :)

Now the debate on if younger people should drive these cars. To answer it, I would say it all depends on the driver. If you feel that they are ready, then you should let them but if not, then keep them far far away. LOL! Age should not be the only determinant, it is responsibility, trust, and experience.

Wild Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd have to say no.

When my wife and I went to Viper Days we were told that 15% of the Vipers were wrecked in the first 30 days of ownership (I think that was the percentage) and more people had been kiiled as a percentage of cars made in a Viper than any other car.

Several years ago here 2 young adults were killed on their first drive home. Going to fast, hit a tree....DOA

To me it just is not worth the risk to my child.

JMHO

Bill

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting discussion. I'm somewhat fascinated with why so many owners/fathers feel it is necessary that their sons drive their car? You all speak of it as if it's virtually child abuse NOT to allow your child to drive a Viper. As if their adolescence would be categorized as "deprived" without a drive to the prom or the local burger joint in a Viper.

I'd suggest some of you consider YOUR NEED to shower your child with this particular gift. Seems a bit bizarre to me that this should become such a necessitated rite of adolescence. A Viper in the hands of virtually any young adult (let alone adolescent) is EXTREMELY dangerous! Yes there are a few sons and daughters that might have the self control to idle around the neighborhood.....but that is contrary to EVERYTHING the Viper represents. It's dangerous in the hands of most mature adults. It's an accident in the making in the hands of a young adult. It's a death trap in the hands of an adolescent.

Why would any parent be so needy for their child's approval (call it acceptance, love, friendship, etc.) that they would feel so compelled to put there child in such real danger? I was a city kid, so maybe that's got something to do with it. But with my 6 year old, I'm constantly vexed and challenged with the difficulty of saying "no". It ain't easy.....but it IS necessary.

Some one please explain the adolescent hardship of missing out on driving your dad's Viper until you could afford to buy one for yourself.

Apologies in advance for my tangential view.

M

mclean

I let my little brother take the Viper to his prom his junior year...with the following rules.

1. I will be following you the entire time - I was not right behind him, but a few cars back to give him a feeling of being alone. If I see you do anything I don't like, I pull you over we trade cars.
2. While at dinner prior to Prom, he could drop off date at front entrance to restaurant and then meet me in the back parking lot where I parked next to it to keep an eye on it (the restaurant was near a large mall-very crowded and taking no chances).
3. Once at Prom he could show it off for a while, but then we traded keys and I drove the Viper home and he took his old blazer home after prom.
4. You get a ticket, you pay for it and for any resulting increase in insurance.
5. You wreck it you buy it.

He was the talk of the school for a few days!

The cool thing is that I offered to see if he wanted to drive it - he never asked - so it really blew his mind that I would offer, especially since we still had the new plates on the car - it was not even a month old yet.

I must say that he was very respectful (scared maybe?) of the car and has since asked about it, but never asked to drive it. I believe that there was just a little too much in it for him at almost 18. He is now almost 21 and I think I might offer it again around his birthday if I hear that he wants to take out current girlfriend.

Just my 2 cents - you need to trust your feelings. The above rules helped quite a bit, especially # 1, 4, and 5.

jk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would agree. One of the hardest things for a parent to say is NO. Parents want to make their kids happy, see the joy on their faces, but it is the parents responsibility to determine the limits. That responsibility rests on your shoulders and is certainly not to be taken lightly. We all have to let go as parents and it is a perilous road for each of us. We must individually determine the limits, for individually we bear the responsibility of the consequences. My children as my most precious gift, as I am sure we all feel. I can't say to say yes or no for anyone else, and I couldn't make that decision for myself today. My son is 11, and I hope I have the wisdom when the time comes.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some one please explain the adolescent hardship of missing out on driving your dad's Viper until you could afford to buy one for yourself.

You are asking the world's biggest collection of "look-at-me" types why they would want the same for their offspring? :)

Seriously, though, I think there is one important point to consider beyond what has been discussed above. That point goes beyond the maturity of your child, his resistance to peer pressure, and his driving skills. This other factor has to do with the environment of teeenagers' social situations and how they differ from those of adults.

How many posts have you seen on this forum where somebody tried to box a Viper in on the freeway, followed on his bumper trying to get him to race, or slammed on the brakes in front of him? How many posts about cars getting keyed, sat on, poured crap in, or worse? Gee, ever been pulled over in your Viper for no apparent reason (no? well, you're the only one!).

So what do you think it will be like for your son at the A&W? Adults respectfully admiring your car like when you are at the dealership? Try punks looking to "one up" your son, push him around, try to pressure him into a race, maybe damage your car out of spite or envy. How about other kids getting their testosterone going, doing burnouts, racing, etc to prove their still men with your Viper sitting there getting all the attention. What about all the attention the local law will be giving him? Hard enough to avoid a ticket as a businessman in a suit, what about when you're 17?

The risks of driving are not just internal, most are external and beyond your control. Driving a Viper is pouring gasoline on those flames each and every day, for us and more so for your kids. There's just no factor in the positive category of this argument, except for maybe giving your son an ego-boost. There is just NO WAY that result justifies those risks. Doesn't matter how mature your son is or how much track time he has. Kids will be kids, yours and every other one out there.

Bo knows

Enthusiast
Reaction score
mclean,

Hats off to you for the way you handled the "Can I take the Viper to the prom question?" You said yes with reasonable restrictions. He got to enjoy the Viper experiance and status and you got to be the worlds greatest big brother. Nice job!

Bo

AMong

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man I love these threads, and ussually keep my mouth shut but...

bottom line is: we have no idea what his boys are like, what driving experience they have, who they hang around, or thier intentions with the car.

Its not fair to say things like: " giving a viper to a young person, is like giving a gun to a 2 year old " or " its like gasoline on a fire " - thats compete bullshsit .

If my father had that attitude when I was younger, I would never be where I am today.

Now I dont want this to be another " Im young and better than you, with a viper" thread. But FYI - Im 19 - with over 10k miles on my viper, 20k on my Z06 and over a 1000 1/4 miles passes with my racecars ranging from 10sec , working all the way down to my 6 second blown alcohol car.

Now thats how a real 2 year old handles a gun.

Teach them and Let your kids drive your viper - They will have a passion for cars forever, hopefully instead of drugs and partying. 2cent

OP
OP
V

vinnieviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
had to chime in one more time on topic. this is almost like polotics and religion ! i have to totaly disagree with city snake. i think he missed the post by a mile.. it was not trying to buy, bribe or do anything to get my sons approval. i have that and they have mine.. and i know it was not intended as a remark towards me or anyone personally. but on good topics different opinions spark good debates. im looking at it from a the view of things my sons will remember..

now i know they may not remember it but on the nice sunny days when im out cleaning waxing detailing my viper and my son helps. its a great feeling for me. we just have hour or so just hanging out doing something to a car .. and thats all i feel it is a car. and that hour or so to me is something i wont forget.. just as i think that time that i trust him out in the car is something he wont forget either.

they know the power of the car and i have told them rules when driving it.. as far as speed, leaving it unattended, having others in the car, and calling when they arrive and when they are leaving. and always a time frame on how long out.

every one has there own rules with the car and there children. there not laxed just because you would let your son drive the car. you know your kid better than anyone and some as my 16 yr old has alot of growing up to do before he would ever be allowed to drive that car alone. but my 18 19 yr olds i know i can trust.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
had to chime in one more time on topic. this is almost like polotics and religion ! i have to totaly disagree with city snake. i think he missed the post by a mile.. it was not trying to buy, bribe or do anything to get my sons approval. i have that and they have mine.. and i know it was not intended as a remark towards me or anyone personally. but on good topics different opinions spark good debates. im looking at it from a the view of things my sons will remember..

now i know they may not remember it but on the nice sunny days when im out cleaning waxing detailing my viper and my son helps. its a great feeling for me. we just have hour or so just hanging out doing something to a car .. and thats all i feel it is a car. and that hour or so to me is something i wont forget.. just as i think that time that i trust him out in the car is something he wont forget either.

they know the power of the car and i have told them rules when driving it.. as far as speed, leaving it unattended, having others in the car, and calling when they arrive and when they are leaving. and always a time frame on how long out.

every one has there own rules with the car and there children. there not laxed just because you would let your son drive the car. you know your kid better than anyone and some as my 16 yr old has alot of growing up to do before he would ever be allowed to drive that car alone. but my 18 19 yr olds i know i can trust.

Thanks for the cordial reply Vinnie! Appreciate you're understanding that my reply was general in nature.

Maybe it's because I don't have an adolescent son that I can't relate...or the fact that as a city kid, driveways and car washing weren't part of my childhood. Maybe it's due to my own "problematic" childhood. But I just can't see any need, bearing the risk/reward balance in mind, for this particular element of father/son bonding. I guess I'll have to revist this post when, in 12 years, my daughter is asked to her prom in her date's father's Viper. LOL

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some idiot will pull up in a camaro and insist on racing. Sooner or later the word "chicken" comes up and it's on!
As Warfang said, a race will be inevitable. In the wrong hands, it's very easy to lose control of a Viper. Most posters are worried about the car. If it were my son, I'd be worried about him getting killed or the consequences of an accident. Unless you know he's not an adrenaline ******, it would be a leap of faith.

Josh M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would, if its a big deal they'll want to get every last bit of enjoyment possible out of it. If its not a big deal and a more ordinary occurance then it won't be any different than driving their honda civic. My dad when I was younger had a 94 RX7 twin turbo. I thought it was the sweetest car ever. He actually taught me how to drive stick in it, let me tell you...........when you are a short asian guy trying to learn stick with an aftermarket pressure plate and clutch it ain't easy :laugh:

Anyways, after I got my license my dad let me take the car as long as I asked 1st. As time wore on it became just more of a hassle of not wanting something to break (rotary engine afterall) and I just as soon take my own car rather than have to ask him and worry about breaking it. I grew up fine and I just let my dad drive my Viper GTS

kpham

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't have children yet. If I do I would probably let them drive it as much as they want but not to the prom or hangout places. I would love to have them enjoying the car, enjoying the driving, but not to grab attention for driving Dad's nice car. Occasionally surprising a friend might be fun but it doesn't have to be at dangerous places :)

When I graduated high school, my dad didn't even have $ to buy me a gown so I skipped prom and graduation ceremony completely. I know that he would give me everything that he could and that's what I will do to my children. But children do need to earn that self-confident above what they drive/wear -- that's when they'll have self-control. I think letting them drive more often in non-important occasions is better.

Face is really important for a teen. Now that I'm old (30) and it doesn't matter so much what people see me driving. When I was in high school, my brother bought me a bicycle at the flee market for 15 bucks. I rode it for a whole junior year only to realize that it's a girl's bicycle. I bitterly refuse to ride again and start walking 40 minutes (one way) to school and back every day for my entire senior year. For a teen it's really important to grab attention (that they interpret as admiration :) ) Let them grab some in other controlled environments.

jk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any car is as deadly as a loaded gun. Granted, the Viper may be the 44 magnum and any other car a 22, but either can wreck your life after a poor decision. If a kid is going to be irresponsible or succumb to peer pressure in Viper, I would also worry about any other car he/she drives.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any car is as deadly as a loaded gun. Granted, the Viper may be the 44 magnum and any other car a 22, but either can wreck your life after a poor decision. If a kid is going to be irresponsible or succumb to peer pressure in Viper, I would also worry about any other car he/she drives.

Agreed, you should worry about any other car he/she drives. Period. Enough kids die every year driving Civics. That's the nature of driving. We should be doing everything we can to minimize risks to our kids, not offering up the .44 when the .22 is bad enough.

I'll say it for the last time, then let this thread die: your kid can get killed despite good driving skills, responsibility, not caring about peer presure, staying off drugs/alcohol, etc. The road is a dangerous place. Giving the keys to a Viper to a teenager is in no way going to reduce these risks!

BOGOTA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No kids yet, but when I do have kids I will have to triple padlock the garage. These high horse power cars are deadly.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No kids yet, but when I do have kids I will have to triple padlock the garage. These high horse power cars are deadly.
Considering their father, I'd padlock MY garage from your offspring! :D LOL

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i have 2 kids, son who's 2 and my girl who's now 4, time sure does fly by. my son is soooo addicted to cars i love it!!! cant wait to take him to all the drag race events and car shows. he sits in my viper everytime it is out of the garage. it makes me smile to see how happy the car makes him. trust takes a long time to instill in your kids, example, would i allow my son at his current age to play near the viper with his bike NO WAY, would i let him take it to his prom, YOU BET! by then he will have been trained, in a way, the respect both a father and a car like this deserves. the same way i respected my father at 1-18 and would never do anything to upset the trust he gives me. you know your son, if he is a good kid, give it a shot, if he's a wild child who has some accidents and tickets under his heavy foot belt, then explain why not. i know if i had an accident or 2 and maybe a speeding ticket or 2 prior to prom day and asked my dad to take his viper, he would have said no for these reasons and me being a logical person wouldnt be happy, but totally understanding why i coulnt take it. what ever you do i wouldnt rent one or another exotic alike, think about the message your giving your son, hey bud, no problem you want a fast sweet prom ride, ok, dad is going to rent you a z06, 0r ferrari, or viper... your just not good enough to take mine.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...When I graduated high school, my dad didn't even have $ to buy me a gown so I skipped prom and graduation ceremony completely...
...I rode it for a whole junior year only to realize that it's a girl's bicycle...
...For a teen it's really important to grab attention...
If you had gone to the prom on your girl's bicycle wearing your gown, you would definitely have grabbed a lot of attention. :D You would not make prom queen but drag queen would be a definite yes. ROTFL.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drock187