Z06 smokes Viper 0-60 in 3.4 seconds

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trying to get the best 0-60 with a stick is very tricky business. Road surface and driver ability become the major factors with a really fast car.

Didn't the GNX way back do a 3.9 0-60??? and something like "high 13"/100mph quarter mile? This was an automatic.

When you start dealing with cars that can do a decent hole shot, the road surface becomes ultra critical.

Just compare concrete -v- tarmacadam (I love the propername for that crap!). You can actually break drive train parts w/concrete road surface - especially if you discover you have wheel hop on concrete!

Then there is driver ability. (Anyone remember when Ronnie Sox test drove that 6-pack SuperBee? He smoked the car mag editors by something like 0.5 seconds. Of course, this was a 4 spd.)

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seriously....Viper or Vette...thats the bottom line...you can make either one faster than the other....I have had 3 Vettes, C3, C4, and C5....NONE of them compare to the Viper...Even if the Z06 IS faster stock....The Viper is a Viper....and a Zo6 is a Vette....Thats just like buying a mustang and putting 1,000 horse into it...would you rather have that or a Viper? Your call.

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't buy pressure development on an open ended pipe that is vented to atmosphere; the system restriction is the cat. It is neither a performance nor emissions issue. It just sounds better, to some.

A few things that I can think of.

First the OEM has to meet emissions over the life of a car and not just when new. So take aged cats, higher emission ouput engines (piston ring and valve leakage ...), etc and then pass emissions. Also, emissions tests require that cars be run to high mileage using more normal customer usage cycles. That takes time and causes minor changes to take considerable time.

Lower back pressure means less exhaust gas in the catalysts at all times (remember PV=nRT). Less gas means the exhaust spends less time in the cat. Therefore less time to allow for chemical reactions. That CAN affect emissions.

I would guess than darn near every possible change could impact emissions, especially the emissions that occur before the cats are fully heated.

I would say that 15 years ago the OEMs would have said it would be impossible to make 500+ hp cars emissions capable. But they have and will continue to do so. I am sure that more and better things are in the future for us, no matter what the Washington people do as the engineers will find a way to make us power :)