Zaino vs. Einszett - wax wars

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me give you a little history on my car. I purchased it new in January of this year. It is a 2001 Sapphire Blue ACR. It sat on the showroom floor for about a year and a half, within touching distance of everyone. Needless to say it has plenty of micro-scratches. In an effort to minimize the appearance of these I followed the instruction to the letter for Zaino. I washed the car in dawn dishwashing liquid, applied the z-1 (polish/cleaner), 5 coats of z-5, then five more coats of z-2, all over the course of about a week or so. I did clean the freshly waxed car with the z-6 after each coat...with the exception of the z-1. I love the slick feeling of the wax, but I am incredibly unhappy with the still quite apparent appearance of the micro-scratches.

Zaino

Most everyone knows about these products. Largest problem with product: Poor distribution methods and no paint prep products (for the exact problem I am having). Zaino assumes your paint is perfect already...which is not the case typically.

Einszett

This product is fairly new to the US market. They are a German-based company who has been in business since 1938. Their products are synthetic polymers based on organic composition. They are designed to emulate the gloss and depth of a carnuba while providing the wear of an acrylic synthetic. Just like Zaino.

Why am I trying these products? Again due to my unhappy results with Zaino, and also my friend is opening a car care products website ( Detailer's Paradise.com, which officially opens this Friday). He tried this on one of his own cars with astonishing results. He will be carrying it along with quite a few other products...like microfiber, P21s, etc... Please help him out. ;)

Results
I am still using the products as we speak, but I am elated to say the least. I am using a mild abrasive wax to start (with a Porter Cable Buffer). The system has three levels. The more abrasive stuff…which I am forced to use, due to my needs. The less abrasive stuff with more wax than abrasive and finally the wax alone. Don’t get me wrong, the stuff that has the most abrasive it still extremely safe. It is only mildly abrasive, so it has yet to leave any marks in my clear coat while I am using it, but it has removed a very, very large amount of the swirling and spider-webbing marks. I am still deep in this process, but I just had to share my results thus far.

I will try to take some pictures this evening to show the results of the cleaning process. I will also take pictures of the spider-webbing that I have not worked on yet.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm beginning to think that Z5 is snake oil! I keep putting it on and putting it on and I'm not seeing alot of scratch reduction! It's shiny as all get out, but the swirls don't seem to go anywhere!

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm beginning to think that Z5 is snake oil! I keep putting it on and putting it on and I'm not seeing alot of scratch reduction! It's shiny as all get out, but the swirls don't seem to go anywhere!

Z5 ain't gonna remove/hide any swirls/scratches...

For your Red ACR...to hide clearcoat imperfections...Use Meguires No 7 Show Car Glaze...with Zaino Z6 applied immediately after each coat...You'll be able to "hide" 90% of minor clear coat imperfections...

And after about five coats, you'll have the Reddest ACR on the planet...

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use Zaino's products and beleive that they are the best. But...considering how thin an actual coat of any polish is...it would take many applications...depending on how deep the scratches are. Furthermore, bear in mind that when you get rid of scratches, you are bringing the rest of the paint down to the level of the scratch.

They are many products, for example by 3M that will get your finish looking right before you apply the Zaino. A good coat of hand glaze will make a major difference.

OP
OP
C

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was tried of trying to hide the micro-scratches, that's why I decided to remove them. When you have a dark color on your car it's ten-times worse. If you hide them they will return!

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was tried of trying to hide the micro-scratches, that's why I decided to remove them. When you have a dark color on your car it's ten-times worse. If you hide them they will return!

Which is why tis better not to induce swirls/scratches...and removing them only gets into a fraction of your Viper's clearcoat...Not removing them looks like hell, and annoys me to no end...I can also tell you that BLACK RULES!!! :cool:

OP
OP
C

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately the scratches were beyond my control. Dark colors look best...clean, but dayum they show the scratches and dust.

snowmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Zaino results are not as good as other polishes, but I use them for 2 reasons...

1) Shine lasts longer (not as shinney as others, but lasts a long time)

2) Does not mess up the paint in the long term.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1.) Wash car thoroughly with strong detergent (Dawn).

1.) Clay entire car until smooth as glass.

2.) 3M Swirl Mark Remover with Porter Cable. White or orange pad from Classic Motoring Accessories.

http://www.properautocare.com/

3.) Zaino Z1 then Z2

4.) When extremely minor swirling begins to appear from driving, etc... - 1 coat of Z5 'may' do the trick. Anything beyond an extremely minor swirl, Z5 ain't gonna do sh*t. Use the spray after wash for that 'freshly' detailed look.

I've found Zaino to be very reflective, but the deep/rich shine or a good carnuba is better on some colors (darks), IMO. Although I really like Zaino on my Silver/Blue GTS.

That being said, I have yet to find a product that last as long as Zaino. Collinite Wax is a close second.

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've had the same luck with z5...late last year there were was some minor spiderwebbing on the SS hood (black) and it finally worked after two thick coats. Worked really well, but I had no luck up to that point with multiple thin coats...

brianflynn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go to walmart and buy the electric polisher MVP Superline for $20 bucks and save your arms it is a 2600 rpm random polisher comes with the extensions cord and two pads one soft and one that is a bit more course. It will get a better job done in a lot less time.

I had an auto repair shop and a detail shop, I just did some testing for a company for their wax, polish, the stuff works great it is AG2000. you can order it from www.sportomotoring.com it's only 49.95. it comes with everything to detail the car, do not use the shammy that comes with it, it ***** but the rest of the stuff is great.

I have used this stuff on five different cars and it is great stuff.

The guy wanted an honest, independent testing he did nothing but send me the kit and want my honest review.

The only part I changed was buffing off the coat of paint protectent insted of washing it then buffing it.

Venom 1000TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VOI-7

Didn't any of you go to VOI-7 Nashville?? It's amazing but the only one giving a seminar on scratch removal was Meguiars! Not Zaino! No Zaino around! I wonder why? Because you will only get professional results from a machine and Zaino does not work with a machine! That means using a rotary buffer that can only generate enough heat to break down the products that they will work as they are intended. Then an orbital to apply polish & wax. For deep scratches you're going to have to wet sand & then go thru the process. I use Meguiars 100% and get great results all the time! IMHO!

Venom 1000TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Edward! It's still a work in progress. I'm putting on side-splitters & a custom windshield banner. I'll post some pics when finished.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Venom 1000TT,

I agree - No substitute for professional products (Meg. or 3M) and a rotory. Problem is, you can burn threw the paint if you not careful/experienced. I think Zaino does hold a place along side these products. A FINAL coat of Zaino is a great finishing touch. Provides a nice shine, last a long time, water beads like crazy, and easy on/off.... I agree though, Zaino is not much else than a finishing product.

P.S. - I have found the ONLY orbital buffer powerful enought to actually work with the 3M compounds is the Porter Cable. Not as efficient as a rotory, but will work.

P.S.S. - What rotory buffer to your prefer, and what Meg. products? Your Viper looks great! I plan to finally step up to a rotary soon, after having a professional show me the ropes. I will practice on my 1989 Buick Park Avenue before touching the Viper. Any tip are appreciated.... And yes, I did say a 1989 Park Avenue. Been in the family for 14 years - can't seem to part with it..... :cool:

OP
OP
C

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I finished the Viper polishing on Saturday. There is no substitute for hard work. I used a Porter Cable 7336sp (Lowe's $109 and I use the Porter Cable polishing foam pads). My wife used my friend's Porter Cable. The Einszett is so safe that as you can see I would let the wife buff on it with no worries. The results are as good as the pictures I posted.

BTW there was an exotic car show this weekend in Denver. After all the work we did on the Viper I was shocked at how bad other cars looked. There was not one car in the show that wasn't riddled with micro-scratches. My sapphire blue Viper looked better than any other paint in the entire show. I really do love these products. I did finish the process with P21s. It is the best carnuba wax out there. It is just pure wax. Wipes on and off very easy...only problem it is only lasts a couple months (high altitude and super intense sun here). But that's the difference between carnubas and synthetics. I will add the Einszett synthetic wax later for a longer lasting shine, but for now I just enjoy polishing the car. I will probably polish the car a couple more times before I "seal" it with a synthetic. The results are far more enjoyable than the work. Happy waxing.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cardude...you mention that Einszett is "pure wax". It can;t be "pure caruba"...but is probably "pure wax". Most likely, parafin with caruba. Caruba is simply too hard and too yellow to be used straight. It must be blended with parafin or itwill not spread or dry.

If I get any kind of hairline scratches, I use Blue Coral's scratch remover or 3M hand glaze, and finish up with Zaino.

OP
OP
C

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...I really do love these products. I did finish the process with P21s. It is the best carnuba wax out there. It is just pure wax. Wipes on and off very easy...only problem it is only lasts a couple months (high altitude and super intense sun here)...

I was referring to P21s. It is a pure wax. A blend of carnuba and beeswax...no dyes, perfumes, or "fruity" additives. I had already researched it on their website.

Venom 1000TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
onerareviper,
At that seminar in Nashville I mentioned,that tech held the rotary on the panel for over 25 seconds on high speed, no burn marks, to prove it's alot safer than you think. I totally agree to practice on something else just to get your confidence level up & then just try small trouble sections to get your results.
Yes I use the Porter Cable Orbital for polish & wax.. great buffer. I use the Dewalt DW849 with Varispeed Rotary but there are certain steps to go thru depending on what you need to get done. If the scratch is deep but not into the paint, then you have to wet sand 1st, then red pad with Diamond Cut, then yellow pad with Swirl Remover,knowing what speed to set it at, etc. But if you're not careful on washing & especially drying & waxing you'll end up putting back on the swirls again. I use the Meguiars Micro-fiber towels for all buffing steps for removal. I still have a long way to go on the car for I was 2nd owner & obviously the 1st one didn't know about car care. I've also used 3M products when I had the Vette's with good results. I tried the orbital with all the different products but still had the swirls. You gotta generate the heat!
Good luck!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang