ZR-1 after ACR ring record

boy wonder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This was sent to me today. I just had to share this..............

Robin
:)

expect to see the 2012 ZR1 return to the Ring with the optional Pilot Sport Cup tires. And watch it beat the Viper ACR lap record by 4-5 seconds if not more. You heard it here first.

Highest Regards,

John Hennessey
OFFICE:
MOBILE:

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score
Send the 2010 ACR to the ring and watch it beat the modified ZR1's time :)

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If its modified by John I would be surprised if it even made it through the first lap.....

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Vette forums are all abuzz about the '12 ZR1 having optional Sport Cup tires, they think it will make all the difference between the times. He's not referring to a modified car, it's the stock car with stickier tires.

Alabaster Mamba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, referring to stock Zr1. The Z06 and ZR1 will both have the option for MPSC tires. Too bad we haven't put a 2010 ACR with the new gearing and winglets on the Ring. GM wouldn't even want to spell Ring.

troublemaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no doubt that GM would love to see this happen. They have a huge stake in still trying to sell more cars. I am actually surprised a third party is doing it and not the manufacturer itself. I would love to see Dodge send a 2010 ACR over, but they have nothing to gain by it, production of that model is done.

If its modified by John I would be surprised if it even made it through the first lap.....

There is obviously more to this.

srt4evah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Neat, I for one hope the new ZR1 sets a new ring record for the stock production vehicle class. It should be able to hold the record just long enough for the 2013 Viper to ****** it back... LOL!

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Smart move for the ZR1 (I will stay off the pilot issue).

ZR1 is currently in production. Better OEM tires cannot but help its time and I do not think it was much behind the Viper with the other tires.

Just like the Viper, the ZR1 is a great car and I am glad they made it. Cockpit adjustable suspension is a good feature. It really needs better seats--hopefully they will address this issue.

A new ZR1 Ring Record will give Dodge further incentive to do a killer job on the Gen V Viper.

SSSSE YA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry guys to get off the subject a little bit here, but in regards to Hennessey Performance I just received an invite through Facebook to his “Grand opening” to his new 10,000 square foot facility out here in So Cal. I was little surprised to tell you the truth.

dipapa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Henessey showroom/ installation facility has been in Lake Forest, CA a couple years. So that shop is expanding?

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is he running a customer's car? I wonder if the customer will know. LoL

So, the Aztecs were right, they saw this ZR1 coming, 2012 is the end of the world.

Seriously though, I agree that's down right brilliant for GM. I bet they get bigger marketing bang out of it too ... like their current commercial about de-tuning the ZR1 so Porsche etc havea chance in racing, whatever. They're actually using their halo car for pretty strong marketing, I've seen the "america still builds rockets" vette commercial a hundred times. 2013 will be very interesting .. if we're all still here.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys are jumping the gun.

NOWHERE has it been stated that Chevy is going to take the '12 ZR1 to the ring as an official factory sponsored attempt at the record.
Someone noticed the option of better tires being offered on the '12 and took off from there that it will now demolish the ACR time.
At least they are hoping so, as it's the only excuse they have been using for years now.
This is just "what if" chatter for the moment.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I can see the headlines now, " After 4 full years Corvette is finally able to break the Viper's record !!"" Pundits question whether the Chevrolet could beat the improved ACR version since it's record at Miller Motorsports Park was annihilated by a newer Viper ACR and not the 08 that has held the record for so long."

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no doubt that GM would love to see this happen. They have a huge stake in still trying to sell more cars. I am actually surprised a third party is doing it and not the manufacturer itself. I would love to see Dodge send a 2010 ACR over, but they have nothing to gain by it, production of that model is done.

I think they would have a lot to gain. The advertising is for the normal Joe. You and I know what to look for and ask about. The normal Joe would hear "Ring" and "New and even better than the Gen IV that still holds the Ring record" and run out and buy one just for bragging rights with buddy with his Vette.:D

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ZR-1 is a phenominal car. On a track with few high speed corners and long straights I feel it'll beat the ACR. If it comes factory with Cups it'll certainly be faster.

Of coure I'm still pulling for the Viper but if they can beat it, they've really accomplished something.

Good for them - but they have to do it! Talking about it doesn't actually achieve it.

Greg

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Corvette’s greater performance for 2012 begins with the new, optional Michelin Pilot Sport Cup Zero Pressure tires, which are available on the two highest-performing models, the lightweight, 505-hp (377 kW) Z06 and the maximum-performance, 638-hp (476 kW) supercharged ZR1. They are competition-oriented tires, optimized for warm, dry conditions to increase cornering and handling capability.

When combined with the Corvette’s exclusive Performance Traction Management (PTM) technology – which manages torque delivery for maximum performance – the tires are expected to help set new benchmarks for Corvette performance. Engineers estimate an 8-percent gain in maximum lateral acceleration, to more than 1.1g, and improved braking distance. Testing at Virginia International Raceway has demonstrated improvement of approximately three seconds per lap.

The Cup ZP tires were developed by the same Michelin engineers who develop tires for Corvette Racing in the American Le Mans Series and are essentially street-legal versions of a racing tire. They are included in the optional Z07 performance package on the Corvette Z06 and a new PDE performance package on the ZR1. The 285/30-19 (front) and 335/25-20 (rear) tires are matched with all-new aluminum Cup-style wheels in satin black or machined finishes. They are about five pounds lighter (2.2 kg) and stronger than the 20-spoke wheel offered in 2011.

Performance Traction Management (offered on the Z06 for the first time in 2012) is an advanced system that optimizes traction for greater and more consistent on-track performance. The system also integrates traction control, active handling and selective ride control systems to enhance race track driving consistency and overall performance. When full throttle is applied upon exiting a corner, it automatically manages acceleration dynamics.

A full-width racing-style spoiler for improved aerodynamics is also included in both the ’12 Z07 and PDE packages. The Z06 model will now offer Magnetic Selective Ride Control, the world’s fastest-reacting suspension technology – an innovation Corvette pioneered several years ago. And as before, Brembo carbon ceramic brakes will be a part of the Z07 chassis package (they are standard on ZR1). Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tires remain standard on the ZR1.

A carbon fiber hood will be an available option on 2012 Z06 models, while the standard manual transmission for ZR1 will include taller gearing in fifth and sixth gears, for a 2-mpg improvement in highway fuel economy.

aries

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't trust that ***** with my Craftsman lawn mower. Especially after hearing all the stories of the people he ripped off.

stranger355

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly, the ZR1 is an incredible car. The ACR is made to be incredible on the track, but not on the street. If the ZR1 can do both then that is an accomplishment. I love the Viper for what it is, but I got nothing bad to say about the Vette.

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doesn't matter if it beats the Viper, it won't get the record held by Gumpert.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen 5 Viper had better deliver a knockout punch.
I have faith it will, at least in ACR trim.

troublemaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think they would have a lot to gain. The advertising is for the normal Joe. You and I know what to look for and ask about. The normal Joe would hear "Ring" and "New and even better than the Gen IV that still holds the Ring record" and run out and buy one just for bragging rights with buddy with his Vette.:D

Can you explain this further, I don't know if we are agreeing or disagreeing. I have no idea what the expenses of getting a car and driver over there are, but I would be willing to bet it's more than Dodge is willing to shell out. I think if it was worth it to them, they would have already done it.

We have all seen the Ring video, and most if not all would agree that the driver and car had more to give, but the gear ratios being what they are and bouncing off the rev limiter shows that this was a less than perfect run. It was a hell of a job by the driver, but he could only do the best he could with what he was given.

Maybe if the ZR1 does beat it, we will see a 2010 over there, who knows, I'm just speculating.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang