ZR-1 after ACR ring record

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dodge needs to concentrate on the new car. Put the money there. ACR is old news as it fought a great battle and won. It doesn't have to prove anything to anyone. Old fighters like Ali and Foreman don't have to prove anything to anyone. New car can set the records. Vette can have a few years. New Viper will obliterate it.

Last edited:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dodge could send a '10 ACR to the ring, knock ten seconds off the record time and it won't sell a single car...why bother.
Gen 4's are history.
They need the NEW one to do it.

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New one won't do it. Gen4 ACR will always be the fastest Viper.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is the most idiotic statement I have ever heard. GEN IV will be the fastest, are you for real?

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mentioned several times that Dodge intends to first release a standard Gen V and follow up with a enhanced ACR model more track tuned.

ACR is now the ring champ. Ball is in Chevy's court. Up to them to see what they can do.

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Performance Traction Management (offered on the Z06 for the first time in 2012) is an advanced system that optimizes traction for greater and more consistent on-track performance. The system also integrates traction control, active handling and selective ride control systems to enhance race track driving consistency and overall performance. When full throttle is applied upon exiting a corner, it automatically manages acceleration dynamics.

Basically the nannies are wringing the last 5% of the performance out of the car for you. :smirk: Some things never change with Chevy.

Why don't they just build a full size remote control version and run it around the track utilizing a mapped out computer program instead. I bet they could make it reeeaaaly fast then.

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm surprised they don't list a front splitter on the Corvette with the addition of the wing. Does that mean the car is more balanced, or less balanced than the Viper? I'm just going off the info stated on pg 1.

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Basically the nannies are wringing the last 5% of the performance out of the car for you. :smirk: Some things never change with Chevy.

Why don't they just build a full size remote control version and run it around the track utilizing a mapped out computer program instead. I bet they could make it reeeaaaly fast then.

Faster is faster, if Chevy manages to be faster than the Viper with "nannies" they will still get the record.

I don't mind the technology, just make sure I can turn them off! :)

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm surprised they don't list a front splitter on the Corvette with the addition of the wing. Does that mean the car is more balanced, or less balanced than the Viper? I'm just going off the info stated on pg 1.

ZR1 already has a splitter, the wing would be new.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting to see them mention that in testing the 2012 ZR1 on VIR was 3 secs faster than it's old time. Interesting because that 3 secs and a few tenths just happen to be how much the old 08 ACR beat the ZR1's time at VIR albeit not on same days. I think it will beat the ACR's Ring time easily as the ZR1 was developed on the Ring afterall. So it's already geared and suspension tuned for the Ring, unlike the ACR, but now it will have ACR-like go faster parts to boot. Can't see it not shredding that 7:22 time especially since it wasn't the best the ACR could do given the short time and problems it had consequently.

I'm unbiased and like both cars but I do favor the snake a bit more so I would like to see a 2010 ACR VS 2012 ZR1. That is more relevant than comparing the updated ZR1 to the older trim ACR. Pit both updated platforms against each other. The older c6 ZR1 could NOT match the older ACR that's a fact. Should be no contest for the updated ZR1 vs the old ACR's 7:22 IMHO. If it's not a walk over then it should go anywhere near the 2010 ACR.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see a meeting with the guard rail or an excursion off the track given the pressure to push it to the limit (and probably beyond) just to try to raise the bar.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see a meeting with the guard rail or an excursion off the track given the pressure to push it to the limit (and probably beyond) just to try to raise the bar.

Won't matter, if they are going for the record they'll have months of prep and multiple cars and drivers ready to go.
They won't be winging it with a couple of engineers on a half day schedule like Dodge did.
If they do go for it, they can't fail.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is already dated news.

While the Vette can be fitted with updated Michelin Run Craps, Michelin has already released an even higher performance Pilot Super Sport conventional tire that approaches the performance of the current Cups.

These new tires in 19 and 20" sizes are already in the marketplace, and are lighter, faster, longer lasting, and newer technology than the previous Pilot Sport 2's.

Newer Vette is having the 5th and 6th gear ratios raised for additional fuel economy, while the Vipers are being lowered for better ring performance. (no more need to bump rev limiter).

Viper also runs larger rubber, and the last run of Viper X's came with 295 (up from 275) front tires to reduce understeer.

To me, the Viper still holds the edge.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not the point since we are supposedly comparing factory stock (off the showroom) production cars.
That's what holds the record.
Not cars with aftermarket tires.

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is the most idiotic statement I have ever heard. GEN IV will be the fastest, are you for real?

Well not counting the ACR-X. So this new Viper will be lighter and have more horsepower with all-wheel drive? I highly doubt that unless the price is greatly increased.