ZR1 goes AGAIN to the 'ring... and yet can't beat the ACR's time

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think SRT should practice like GM did and then take the ACR back over there and turn in a much faster lap as well. Then we would be talking about more than .3 seconds.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now, They have to bring the ACR back for a 7:18, to keep the spread... I have to believe that if the driver found the sweet spot between rev-limiter and shift points. That 7:22 could get better... And even just taking the 2 missed shifts out, changing nothing else. I bet thats good for :02 right there..

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ya if gm knocked off 4 seconds the 2nd time around I'm sure SRT could do the same especially because of the missed shifts in the viper on that record run thats seconds right there.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GM is bleeding a billion dollars a month. They send a team over to the ring with a limited production car to beat the ACR's time when they will soon merge with Chrysler. Both cars will then be produced by the same company. Morons.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And you know they prepped the **** out of that car and driver because it had only one purpose, to beat the ACR's time.

Failed.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GM is bleeding a billion dollars a month. They send a team over to the ring with a limited production car to beat the ACR's time when they will soon merge with Chrysler. Both cars will then be produced by the same company. Morons.

Although it would be nice to have #1 and #2 in your stable, no? :smirk:

If I'm playing the eternal optimist... a possible benefit of the merger would be that GM will stop complaining about how much better the Viper is and campaign for all those stupid restrictions in racing to be lifted.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And you know they prepped the **** out of that car and driver because it had only one purpose, to beat the ACR's time.

Failed.

I doubt it. Obviously the engineer that drove the first time made several mistakes.

There is no need to get defensive here, we all know there is a LOT of time in the bag for the ACR, but it may or may not be able to reach all of it with the gearing issue.

Still, pretty amazing for PS2's. I imagine GM will only need to have a sport set of tire with MPSC to break well into the teens.

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ya if gm knocked off 4 seconds the 2nd time around I'm sure SRT could do the same especially because of the missed shifts in the viper on that record run thats seconds right there.

The ACR should go back again then and show what it can do... :drive:

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember some boo-hooing from the vette camp about how SRT used a "pro" driver. No disrespect to the fellow that earned the record for the ACR, but I believe the "ringer" GM brought with them is probably a better driver. Yet STILL lost. Too bad so sad. I wonder if the GM engineers footed the bill on this like the SRT guys?

Jan Magnussen - Corvette Racing

both drivers sucked balls...:rolleyes:

I have yet to see a video of ANY car that has done the ring without any sort of misses or near perfect driving. 7+ minutes of perfect driving is impossible...period.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I doubt it. Obviously the engineer that drove the first time made several mistakes.

There is no need to get defensive here, we all know there is a LOT of time in the bag for the ACR, but it may or may not be able to reach all of it with the gearing issue.

Still, pretty amazing for PS2's. I imagine GM will only need to have a sport set of tire with MPSC to break well into the teens.

That wouldn't be stock would it? :rolleyes:

ViperGal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much time/how many laps did they take to try to beat it? I recall the Viper ACR did a net 4....

:drive:

btw: was it independently witnessed?

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That wouldn't be stock would it? :rolleyes:

It will be if they make an optional set of tires and wheels for it.

It's not too uncommon to have a sportier set of optional tires for sports cars.

Considering GM seems intent of fighting this ring war, I wouldnt put it past them to offer a 19 inch wheel set with MPSC down the road. Since there isnt going to be anything > ZR-1 they will have to do something to keep up.

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Considering GM seems intent of fighting this ring war, I wouldnt put it past them to offer a 19 inch wheel set with MPSC down the road. Since there isnt going to be anything > ZR-1 they will have to do something to keep up.

GM does not offer a tire option for 2009 on the ZR1...I doubt it they will change anything for 2010, that is if they decide to keep the ZR1 for a second year...

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

99 and 44/100% correct!!! They are trying to buy. Very bad idea.

In addition, how many zr-one's are they going to have to sell just to pay for the "Ring Runs?"

Is Lutz going Nutz??

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:dunno:

Doesn't it already have a different gearing that the regular 08 Viper...? Still long as gears, but I thought they maxed it at 170mph...

Everywhere Ive read said it has the same 3.07 as the regular Viper. From my understanding that gearing was chosen for gas milage purposes to avoid a higher gas guzzler tax. My feeling on the ACR is that its pretty much a streetlegal racecar so who cares about gas mileage. It should have it own appropriate gearing to make the most of its downforce enhanced performance.

http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-srt10-coupe-discussions/607996-vca-srt-very-proud-present.html

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ACR has the same rear gears. The top speed is 177MPH because of the effect of the splitter and wing. They produce great down force for the track but, in exchange, some speed at the top end is lost. Based on the Ring results, the amount of the loss is not of any importance. I am sure that the SRT engineers figured this all in when they created the best production track car, for the least dollars, that has ever existed on planet earth.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would be interesting to hear if SRT would have liked to give the ACR shorter gearing but were handcuffed by cost/gas mileage constraints...Eitherway its still the Ring king and the badest street racer out now.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GM does not offer a tire option for 2009 on the ZR1...I doubt it they will change anything for 2010, that is if they decide to keep the ZR1 for a second year...

Well with the C7 now put on hold indefinitely, and essentially putting the Vette in the same situation as the Viper.

So in that case I would expect GM to do a similar thing that DC did to the Viper and make incremental improvements to the C6 chassis. The easiest of which would be the tires.

For this reason, I still think the ZR-1 will stick around for a few more years as well in limited production. Just a guess on the ZR1 though.

Latest word though is that this isnt true, that ring season is over, and GM hasnt returned since Mero drove the car. But I guess we'll know for sure if a video surfaces or not.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ZR1 is only down .3 seconds and they are still on RUNFLATS, laugh as you may but that is very impressive.

Ugly car, but fast. :D

These arent typical runflats. They are more like the GT-R's tires, only not as soft as Rcompounds or able to be run at slick type tire pressures (29-32 hot) like the GT-R.

There is a new era in runflats. The sidewalls are hard like semi slick and slick tires and they make the tread special for the car.

The MPSC would be faster, but those special PS2's arent the crap that comes on the earlier Vipers and the Z06.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't see a guy going by Mopar426 being a Vette "fan-boi". Pretty silly statement. I swear some guys here are just so blind loyal they appear ignorant on a website. Why is it so hard for some people to accept that others respect various brands and enjoy more cars than just the Viper? We are all here because we like our Vipers, we aren't here to bash all the other brands.

Tony

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No need to send the Viper ACR to the re-Ring, until it is required. 0.3 sec ahead is still ahead. Will we not be happy unless the Viper wins by a country mile everytime? 1 sec, 3 sec, 10 secs. ahead is ahead. Geez these are all very, very fast cars and all beautiful in their own right, well except for the tupperware hood that is. It is dying for an old 67 427' Vette hood scoop to bolt overtop the plexiglass.

IF the ZR1 comes up with a btter time and Viper feels it needs to defend itself, than send it there with a better driver and a set of gears if that is allowed. Until then there is no need.

Rear gears are a must for the Viper though. Best thing I ever did was bolt 3.55s to mine. What do I care if I cna hit warp drive with 3.07s if I hit it only twice in it's life. The shorter gears are more useful. IMHO

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everywhere Ive read said it has the same 3.07 as the regular Viper. From my understanding that gearing was chosen for gas milage purposes to avoid a higher gas guzzler tax. My feeling on the ACR is that its pretty much a streetlegal racecar so who cares about gas mileage. It should have it own appropriate gearing to make the most of its downforce enhanced performance.

http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-srt10-coupe-discussions/607996-vca-srt-very-proud-present.html

thanks for the well needed correction. You are right, gearing is the same...just the aero's that keep the viper not only planted to the ground, but also with less top speed...

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Fair enough... My guess is they have an exclusive deal with the current tire manufacturer.

mcar00

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Time for the ACR to get its own gearing imho....Thats all it needs.

Has anyone ever done any testing on a road course to see if a more aggresive rear gear ratio would decrease lap times? Is it possible that the additional shifting and possible lack of traction would offset the benefits of say a 3.42 ratio? Anyone with a competition coupe ever tried it and, if so, what was the outcome? Or is the real issue just the 5th gear ratio which needs to be changed?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang