ZR1 goes AGAIN to the 'ring... and yet can't beat the ACR's time

lankhoss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
18" + 19" wheel combo with a better set of tires would do WONDERS for the ZR1.

Now, please race both at the track on the same day with the same driver :)

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Morons? I disagree. There is plenty of evidence on the value of top Ring times in regard to car sales. GM has a lot of money wrapped up in the Vette--Lutz would be a ***** to let it lose its value and concede top American sports car to the Viper. I am sure all the car mags that rely on GM for revenue have been pounding for a redo. They have at least leveled the playing field, maybe ZR1 production will go forward. With the competition comes improvement. Look at BMW and MB. Our Vipers will improve due to the competition. Anyway, if you are a Viper kind of guy, you prob aren't into the so-called refinement of the ZR1. They are apples and oranges, and as long as they stay that way, there is room for both in the garage. Let's hope GM feels the same way, if they take over (or the Viper will be sacrificed to boost the Vette). Just my 2c.

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Morons? I disagree. There is plenty of evidence on the value of top Ring times in regard to car sales. GM has a lot of money wrapped up in the Vette--Lutz would be a ***** to let it lose its value and concede top American sports car to the Viper. I am sure all the car mags that rely on GM for revenue have been pounding for a redo. They have at least leveled the playing field, maybe ZR1 production will go forward. With the competition comes improvement. Look at BMW and MB. Our Vipers will improve due to the competition. Anyway, if you are a Viper kind of guy, you prob aren't into the so-called refinement of the ZR1. They are apples and oranges, and as long as they stay that way, there is room for both in the garage. Let's hope GM feels the same way, if they take over (or the Viper will be sacrificed to boost the Vette). Just my 2c.

Well said. Next year I hope to have a ZR1, ACR and GT-R in the garage...to me, that would be the perfect garage... :dunno:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think you misunderstood my intent. The GM/Chrysler merger negotiations started quite some time ago. The deal is a go. It will happen. Spending the money to ship the car and the people over there to do the test again was a waste of money in light of the fact that both cars will soon be produced by the same company. Both cars are limited production vehicles. Both cars are halo cars. Perhaps the use of the word "morons" was a bit too strong but when a company is bleeding one billion dollars a month and vette sales are way down, which they are, the decision to do the retest was, from my point of view, ridiculous. Particularly in view of the fact that they failed in their mission. There is an old litigator's rule: never ask the question unless you know what the answer is going to be.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you misunderstood my intent. The GM/Chrysler merger negotiations started quite some time ago. The deal is a go. It will happen. Spending the money to ship the car and the people over there to do the test again was a waste of money in light of the fact that both cars will soon be produced by the same company. Both cars are limited production vehicles. Both cars are halo cars. Perhaps the use of the word "morons" was a bit too strong but when a company is bleeding one billion dollars a month and vette sales are way down, which they are, the decision to do the retest was, from my point of view, ridiculous. Particularly in view of the fact that they failed in their mission. There is an old litigator's rule: never ask the question unless you know what the answer is going to be.
All GM needs to do is find $10 billion.
I'm sure there are plenty of lending institutions willing to toss that out.
:D

Love ya Bob, but I don't see the finances being possible.

vipeuup

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What a shame :lmao:. All those trys and still 2nd place. while SRT did it in just a few laps.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fair enough... My guess is they have an exclusive deal with the current tire manufacturer.

Well they just started a deal with Michelin and the ZR-1 tires are already available specifically for the C5 and C6 now. Which is what prompted me to suggest Michelin since they make the MPSC as well.

Goodyear just cant hang in performance.

18" + 19" wheel combo with a better set of tires would do WONDERS for the ZR1.

Now, please race both at the track on the same day with the same driver :)

I agree, I cant beleive Edmunds skipped the ACR to compare the ZR-1 with the GT-R when we all knew what would happen. But considering Edmunds man love for the GT-R it doesnt surprise me.

I would bet that GM DID NOT want an ACR present at the early tests though because the ZR-1 could already be having it's behind served up so it's beneficial for GM for that to wait and it may be in the writing that an ACR not be included in the tests.

At least for now. :D

But man will that be good when it does happen!!!!!!! I think this new unconfirmed ring time is just to liven up the battle. Whoever does it first better be GREAT, and not have some scrub drivers.

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone ever done any testing on a road course to see if a more aggresive rear gear ratio would decrease lap times? Is it possible that the additional shifting and possible lack of traction would offset the benefits of say a 3.42 ratio? Anyone with a competition coupe ever tried it and, if so, what was the outcome? Or is the real issue just the 5th gear ratio which needs to be changed?

I changed the rear end gears in my Comp Coupe a few months ago thinking it would be faster. After going from 3.07's to 3.33's, my car actually turned lap times at Thunderhill @ two seconds SLOWER! Another friend with a CC also changed gear sets and slowed down as well. I was running the full course in the 1.56's, and now struggle to break 1.58's! It is due to extra shifting and a new found lack of traction coming out of some of the slower turns. Over the winter I am going back the the original gears. In theory it would seem you would get out of the corners faster...but a lack of traction and extra shifting works the opposite.And yes, 5th needs to be changed. There is a legal update for 5th gear in World Challenge but I have not had any reason to use it before the gearset change at any west coast track. Brian Barnes CC#64

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone keeps talking about poor gear ratios. Poor driver. Poor shifting. Whatever yada yada yada. Our 100k car is a world ****** period! Dodge must have done a lot of things right to better the times of Porsche, Maserati, Ferrari, Bugatti ect. Even with those companies seemingly limitless budgets, they continue to jockey for second place. In comparison to those mentioned cars, the manual gearbox in the ACR is archaic,( I love grabbing gears), but there are a lot less chances for shifting errors when using some paddles. Smaller gears = more shifting= more chances for mistakes. One a limited budget, the SRT team did a phenomenal job creating a car that is unparalleled by the competition. Oh yeah the driver wasn't half bad either. :usa:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All GM needs to do is find $10 billion.
I'm sure there are plenty of lending institutions willing to toss that out.
:D
Love ya Bob, but I don't see the finances being possible.

They have requested the funds from the government ( See entry from Drudge Report yesterday) and the government will provide them either in the form of a guarantee issued to a third party lender or directly. President Bush and Congress are publicly in favor of the deal. There is already 25 billion authorized for the big three from prior legislation. The government could also choose to use TARP funds or enact additional legislation. Read the articles in the Wall Street Journal that have appeared over the last few days. The deal will occur.

mcar00

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I changed the rear end gears in my Comp Coupe a few months ago thinking it would be faster. After going from 3.07's to 3.33's, my car actually turned lap times at Thunderhill @ two seconds SLOWER! Another friend with a CC also changed gear sets and slowed down as well. I was running the full course in the 1.56's, and now struggle to break 1.58's! It is due to extra shifting and a new found lack of traction coming out of some of the slower turns. Over the winter I am going back the the original gears. In theory it would seem you would get out of the corners faster...but a lack of traction and extra shifting works the opposite.And yes, 5th needs to be changed. There is a legal update for 5th gear in World Challenge but I have not had any reason to use it before the gearset change at any west coast track. Brian Barnes CC#64

Great information. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Mike

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone also keeps talking about the many mistakes the driver in the ACR made. Has anyone actually driven at the ring? Better yet...I challenge ANYONE to find a near perfect pass on the ring. NOBODY is going to achieve perfection on EVERY corner, on EVERY shift of a 7 minute timed event...

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They have requested the funds from the government ( See entry from Drudge Report yesterday) and the government will provide them either in the form of a guarantee issued to a third party lender or directly. President Bush and Congress are publicly in favor of the deal. There is already 25 billion authorized for the big three from prior legislation. The government could also choose to use TARP funds or enact additional legislation. Read the articles in the Wall Street Journal that have appeared over the last few days. The deal will occur.

And after that, does GM just let the Vette remain the chick car while having the Viper as its supercar? Or does it sell the Viper line? Or does it just drop the Viper?

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
One a limited budget, the SRT team did a phenomenal job creating a car that is unparalleled by the competition. Oh yeah the driver wasn't half bad either. :usa:

100% correct!

Driver/Pilot Tom Coronel did an excellent job and deserves our support for never being in an ACR before the runs.

Heck, he's still Number 1.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Worst news I've heard all week.

After the last year and a half, I've become totally disenchanted with all media outlets.
I'm almost at the point where I have to actually go to where the story is and see *** is *really* happening.

Now, if I had an ACR....(keeping it on topic..heh heh).....I'd be able to get to those locations quicker than if I'm in a plastic car with a hood design borrowed off the 'Lightning' car from the movie "Grease". :D

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone also keeps talking about the many mistakes the driver in the ACR made. Has anyone actually driven at the ring? Better yet...I challenge ANYONE to find a near perfect pass on the ring. NOBODY is going to achieve perfection on EVERY corner, on EVERY shift of a 7 minute timed event...

What everyone is saying is that the Viper hasnt been driven to it's full potential. I dont care who you are, or what race team, even to F1, you arent going to get the best from your car in 4 laps on one day with a driver new to the car.

Banging off the rev limiter for a large part of the lap is a result of them not having the weeks it took to analyze some practice laps and try shifting in some of those spots, or give the driver more familiarity with the car to explore it's limits and use his input to set the car up more precisely.

In any form of auto competition 1 day and 4 laps is simply not enough to extrapolate the full potential of the car. The GT-R video is as close to a perfect lap as I've seen, but again that's paddle shifting with a guy that had a year of testing to run. Give the ACR that type of dedication and see if several seconds dont dissapear from the time.

But for get in and go, to spank EVERYONE, yes amazing, but just the tip of the iceburg.

fastandloud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After lurking a couple of vette forums, it appears that this story was fabricated. At least that's what the Chevy boys appear to be thinking..

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There seems to be some serious question as to the accuracy of this whole event.

lankhoss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After lurking a couple of vette forums, it appears that this story was fabricated. At least that's what the Chevy boys appear to be thinking..

Ha ha, you'd think if they were gonna make a story up, it'd AT LEAST have a better time than its competitor ;-)

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What everyone is saying is that the Viper hasnt been driven to it's full potential. I dont care who you are, or what race team, even to F1, you arent going to get the best from your car in 4 laps on one day with a driver new to the car.

Banging off the rev limiter for a large part of the lap is a result of them not having the weeks it took to analyze some practice laps and try shifting in some of those spots, or give the driver more familiarity with the car to explore it's limits and use his input to set the car up more precisely.

In any form of auto competition 1 day and 4 laps is simply not enough to extrapolate the full potential of the car. The GT-R video is as close to a perfect lap as I've seen, but again that's paddle shifting with a guy that had a year of testing to run. Give the ACR that type of dedication and see if several seconds dont dissapear from the time.

But for get in and go, to spank EVERYONE, yes amazing, but just the tip of the iceburg.

Completely agree. Not to mention the amount of times the suspension bottomed out and banged badly....If the ACR had the R&D and development on that track that both the Vette and GTR had it would be totally unbeatable for quite a while as far as production street legal racers go. As it is its still faster than everything at the moment.

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sometimes you loose time shifting gears...you are better off to let the limiter hit.

If what you are saying is correct, who's fault is it then? That is like the excuse GM boys use about the tires...the ZR1 ran on runflats...boohooo...the ACR did not have the right driver...boohooo. It is what it is.

And if you consider the GT-R an almost perfect drive...:rolaugh: - come on...there were a dozen spots where he lost tons of time...

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree shifting that late into the turns would most likely upsest the balance of the car.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Several sources including someone with a direct contact to GM have said this never happened.
Even on corvetteforum.com they are downplaying it.

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It has been confirmed to be a hoax. Sources say that this ugly rumor began from the basement of a weeping corvulva troll and gained momentum among related, biased bed-wetters. In other words, if you can't beat them on the track, whip them on the net.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sometimes you loose time shifting gears...you are better off to let the limiter hit.

If what you are saying is correct, who's fault is it then? That is like the excuse GM boys use about the tires...the ZR1 ran on runflats...boohooo...the ACR did not have the right driver...boohooo. It is what it is.

And if you consider the GT-R an almost perfect drive...:rolaugh: - come on...there were a dozen spots where he lost tons of time...

No one is at fault. They just ran for one day on their own accord, because that's all they needed to "win" but the fact remains that many seconds will come out if they spent more time there testing. That is a FACT.

Another FACT:

The guy who drove the GT-R said he didnt think any more time could be gained in that car. He's a former F1 driver and factory driver for Nissan. I will gladly take his opinion over yours in regards to the GT-R lap. Besides that, they had 4 test drivers there for a year and a half, and that was the fastest they got. So it's as close to perfect as we'll see at the least. You can point out the dozen spots where he lost tons of time when you're ready, but you wont find anyone to agree with you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang