Am I the only ***** who has ever done this?

Firecat F7 Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I first got my Viper I decided to totally detail it.
I pulled the wheels off to grease the chasis and decided to clean wheel well area and also wash and wax the rims while they were off the car. When I was cleaning them I didn't realize the metal rims stuck out further than the tires. I turned the wheels upside down on my asphalt driveway to wax the inside of them and it wasn't til I was on the second wheel that I realized the outer edge of the rims were scraping the asphalt. Now it looks like I have curb rash on those 2 rims without ever hitting a curb. :eek: It isn't really bad and you cant see it unless you stare at it, but I know it is there and any knowledgeable viper owner might notice it.
Well, I learned from that experience and just a friendly reminder to any new owners or future owners to make sure you put something soft under those rims when cleaning them off the vehicle....the rims are super soft and scuff easily. In my own defense, most other wheels I have cleaned always had the rubber tire protruding past the rim. I guess I can still take some bashing for this stupidity though. :eek: :eek:

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ouch... You are not the first, and certainly will not be the last, so don't feel bad.

Um, another thing you need to know is the side sills stick out past the outer edge of the rims if you have an RT/10 side pipe car..... if you hit the curb with your rims..... you might have already hit the side pipe....

I won't even mention that the fact that the bottom edge of the front fascia is lower than the rubber of your front tires which is riding on the road. Just kidding :D but it will feel that way the first time you hear "Scraaaaaaappppppppe" when you hit a dip in the road. Heaven forbit you ever hit a *** hole LOL

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have not done that (yet), but I tell you what the ******** PUNKS THAT MOUNTED MY TIRES took my rim and bounced it on the ground like a coin and it laned face down on the cement! I will alway watch like a hawk the next time I get my tires mounted.

Edward 96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, never move/roll the car w/ the hood partially open. The front tires will hit/scuff the rear part of the wheel well.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
And never take your Viper through an automated car wash!

(Wasn't me, it was someone named Jill about 4 years ago on this board)

Steve Miehe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Firecat:

Just recently removed all of my wheels to clean out brake dust and other grime that managed to accumulate. Thought about laying the wheels down face-first but noticed that the rim appeared to protrude further than the sidewall - but really wasn't sure about that. Did the cleaning as the assembly sat on the tire itself. Glad I did......definitely feel your pain.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I scraped a curb the other day with my front right. I think I almost cryed.

2000 GTS Steel Grey
6 piston Baer claws up front, Front brakes in back, Quaife differential, GKH half shafts,
Alloy fly wheel, Short throw shifter, Polished aluminum intakes, K&N air filters,
Optima battery, Sterling silver key.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale04SS