Best Gen1 Top-Window Combination?

jayriddle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My '94 RT/10 is stuck in the past. I got a free black Mopar factory hard-top when I signed up for VOI 2. It's a pain in the neck to install/remove, but it still works fine.

I also have a pair of sliding glass windows made by a company called Northwind Engineering that I purchased in 1995 for $1000. Those are still working fine, too, though I need to re-adhere the weather-stripping every year, and, well, I don't know....while they were a huge upgrade from the factory side curtains and they have served me well...they just seem old.

I've gotten a lot of life out of the Mopar Roof and the Northwind windows, but I can't help but wonder if there's a cleaner/better top/window solution out there for us Gen 1 owners.

Appearance/look is subjective, but for a car that is 27 years old, there surely must be some consensus in the forum as to the "best" top/window combination for the Gen 1's.

JayR.
1994 RT/10
127K miles
Original Owner

Last edited:

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jay, many folks like the 3 piece "Lemke" hardtop. Easily fits in the truck. Not sure if will work with the Northwind windows but if biggest concern is the bulkiness of the hardtop, that's a great solution. No longer produced but you see some for sale on the various viper sites.

DJ'sviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a autoform put on my car and I love it. I also have a top that came with the car. It is really nice but I like the look of the fast back. So with the canvas top, the cap top, convertible, and the one in photo the car has 4 different looks. I was thinking on selling my car as we are moving and will have to try and squeeze 4 cars in a three car garage. Want $40,000 for it and it has only a little over 20,000 miles on it. So if I sell the top which was around $4,200 then the price would drop on the car and probably be able to sell it faster. The top has a stand for it when you take it off. You are better off having two people put it on and off. Personally feel that it is the best solution for the car. You can see the small window for air.

Last edited:

DJ'sviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need to send the other photos. Site only takes 4. The window has a small front vent type like in old classic cars with a lock. Got caught in a heavy rain storm and they didn't leak.

You must be registered for see images attach

DJ'sviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I several different protective cases and a seat cover and valance over the passenger side. 1. Back Window 2. Front Bra with logo 3. Driver seat cover (protects from rain) 4. Passenger top so you can drive as convertible. (3. & 4.) 5 Two carry cases for the windows 6. Spare tire cover with logo. Have the short top in photo. Have stand for hard top and short cap top. See photos I was wondering if anyone else has these covers and if they came with the car or are after market.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DJ, that Autoform Top is nice.

As to you questions about parts;

1. OEM Window Bag, came with the car
2. Front Bra was an OEM Accessory
3&4 OEM 2 piece "Tonneau Cover," came with the car and also included a bag too
5. OEM Window Bag, came with the car
6. Spare Tire cover is an aftermarket accessory

Your Hardtop Stand is an OEM Accessory

DJ'sviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, I always wondered if all that came with the car or the previous owner bought it. I have all those accessories. I think the hardtop was an aftermarket. The short one. So why would they have an OEM if they didn't make it?

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The hardtop on the stand looks like an OEM Viper Hardtop. Not until 1996 was the hardtop optional for the car when new. At the 2nd Annual Dodge Viper Owners Invitational held in Monterrey CA (August'95), all Viper attendee owners were given a hardtop by Dodge fore free.

So it was around this time that Dodge began producing the hardtop. Optional on a '96 RT/10's. available as an accessory from the Dodge dealers.

ViperRed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The previous owner claims he got the hardtop and windows straight from the Dodge dealership where he bought the car from. He claims these are from mopar.

You be the judge cause till date, I don't know who made these.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The windows are definitely aftermarket. I'm sure someone here or JonB at Parts Rack would know who made/sold those windows.

The top looks OEM but a picture from the back as well as the front latches would help me more. Mike

Kurt

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
The hardtop appears to be from Mopar. The windows are definitely aftermarket, as Mike said. I believe those were manufactured by Northwind Engineering

ViperRed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The windows are definitely aftermarket. I'm sure someone here or JonB at Parts Rack would know who made/sold those windows.

The top looks OEM but a picture from the back as well as the front latches would help me more. Mike

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ViperRed, take a look at this picture, it's not mine but it is an OEM hardtop w/factory windows. Your top seems to extend more, but it's hard for me to really see your's. Take a look at this one to compare. Mike

ViperRed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It doesn't leak water so it's gotta be.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media