Buying low mile 96/97 GTS

El Corvino

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been wanting a blue and white stripe GTS since I can remember, but school for my MSN and MBA plus finishing up another ground up build put it on the back burner. I'm wondering from experience, am I better to buy one that is mint with 2,000 - 4,000 miles, or is that going to be prone to issues if I get on it due to lack or use? Or am I better off looking for something mint with 20K - 30K miles on it? I'm not in any rush, will probably be looking to buy in about 11 months. Seems $30K - $40K is about what they are going for.

Just looking for something to play with once or twice a month. I believe the block on these years from the factory is forged, so I may hook up my buddy's nitrous system from his 2001 GTS Doug Levin build.

stranger355

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're likely going to pay a premium on a car with lower mileage, which is only good for a collector.

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't forget to check out the for sale section here from time to time. There are always some really well maintained Vipers who are looking for a new owners.

DrTaco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In 11 months just take a look at your budget and decide how much YOU want to spend and then find one to fit your budget. Remember, unless the previous owner can prove a maint. sched, you're going to need new tires and fluids. Be sure to factor all those costs in. Good luck, nothing beats a B/W

coupe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Find one with more miles... they are very robust engines and drivelines so 30-50k miles is nothing. Being that they're 16+ years old, you'll want to replace hoses, belt, etc.. anyway.

And the "forged" part is the pistons...all the way up to 1999 model year. They can take a pretty healthy dose of laughing gas but as with any power adder setup, keep the tune in mind.

Snake#36

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For a low mileage B/W GTS your going to be in the 40-50k range....they have held their value for sure....if it's one with 20+k miles on it be sure to get it up on a lift & check out the frame....if I'm not mistaken the 96-99 Vipers had a factory recall in order to strengthen the frame to prevent stress cracks .....if the car has never been tracked you should be ok......recently sold my 98 GTS that's how I know about the recall......good luck...

OP
OP
E

El Corvino

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I come from a wealthy family and have a clinical degree currently working in the ICU and the MBA is to be in hospital administration in the next few years (I have OCD and I like numbers). The 30K - 40K was just what I have seen... I'm not worried if I have to spend a bit more. My intention was to buy it to add to my current car collection. I bought 2 houses and the plan was to tear down the one and make it into a large garage. My other show/street car has about 650 miles on it over the last 2 years. It has 2 stages and made 910 RWHP on the dyno. Including the dyno runs, I have maybe sprayed 6 or 7 times in the 2 years I've had it set up. I"m more for show and just knowing I have it. I've run through 2 15 lb bottles because I like to purge the lines for fun.

So I was looking to basically buy it as a 95% collectible car, not a daily driver. The only mod I was going to do, which is easily removable, was the nitrous set up. Probably a 200 - 250 shot. If it suffered catasrophic failure, then I'd probably do a full on build. But this was just another fun care for every now and then. Mostly just to look pretty in my garage, but I wasn't sure if there would be issues with a 17 year old car with 2,000 miles mostly being a drive around the block to maintain functionality and then all of a sudden me getting on it now and then. I apologize, I'm kind of ignorant to this. I've never owned an older car and not sure what the pro's and con's I am looking at will be.

For those who say buy a well maintained with 30K miles on them, are there many out there in truly mint condition?

Anywho, My buddy's 01 GTS motor was fully built and ran 3 stages + propane for 1300 TQ and 1050 HP (roughly). I was just going to bring everything over minus the propane.
You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
E

El Corvino

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Snake#35 - I was completely unaware of this issue. I will have to research it more. Also, at 50K, I'll really have to think about if it will likely continue to hold its value or if I should just drop $65K - $70K for a 2010ish lower mile.

I really appreciate your input guys. Thanks

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
People with high mileage cars recommend buying high mileage cars. Take the high mileage is good because its being exercised with a grain of salt. When the shoe is on the other foot nearly all buyers will take a low mileage car over high mileage.

OP
OP
E

El Corvino

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hear you - I was just more or less interested if many people were having problems with buying a 16 yr old car that hasn't been used much and then getting it on the road.

Snake#36

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yep they are out there in excellent condition ....low & high mileage ....& they have held their value but instead of tearing down the house & building a garage in its place...take that money & buy you a ****** 2013...then you won't have any worries ...

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I totally agree with Snake #36......but MOST Viper owners that have any Viper takes the utmost care of them maintenance or looks wise......so I have NEVER been afraid to buy older Gen 2 Vipers...even TWIN TURBOed or S/C or stock.....low miles or high.......they are GREAT cars to own and enjoy......You will never find a low mileage 96 or 97 GTS in the $20,000 range.........Plan on more like $40,000 to $60,000.....if money is no issue buy the new 2013 GEN 2 RESTO MOD VIPER and have the cream of the crop.....even the cheaper one for high $90s and really enjoy ......my 2 cents...

Yep they are out there in excellent condition ....low & high mileage ....& they have held their value but instead of tearing down the house & building a garage in its place...take that money & buy you a ****** 2013...then you won't have any worries ...

harley56

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a '96 GTS with 3K miles and had a 98 GT2 with 1K miles. Never had a problem with either one. Buy low miles if you have 95% collectability in mind. Low miles should run $38K - $45K.

OP
OP
E

El Corvino

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Because I didn't grow up a spoiled little b**** like most people from well off families, so I don't act like money grows on trees. I work for my money till my trust fund starts in a few more years. Grandpa always said most spoiled rich kids either become drug addicts and kill themselves or get depressed for ??? and kill themselves. Growing up in SoFla, can't say I disagree. That's why it's nice to know it'll hold it's value. Sorry if my logic doesn't make sense to you. The house being torn down was an old lady's who smoked and hadn't kept with maintenance since 1975 - so it was had for rather cheap, so yea, does seem legit bro. Wasn't really interested in a new viper, just always remembered the iconic blue/white and now that I'll have the extra room, thought I'd get it.

Thanks Harley, Roy, and Snake for the input.

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Because I didn't grow up a spoiled little b**** like most people from well off families, so I don't act like money grows on trees. I work for my money till my trust fund starts in a few more years. Grandpa always said most spoiled rich kids either become drug addicts and kill themselves or get depressed for ??? and kill themselves. Growing up in SoFla, can't say I disagree. That's why it's nice to know it'll hold it's value. Sorry if my logic doesn't make sense to you. The house being torn down was an old lady's who smoked and hadn't kept with maintenance since 1975 - so it was had for rather cheap, so yea, does seem legit bro. Wasn't really interested in a new viper, just always remembered the iconic blue/white and now that I'll have the extra room, thought I'd get it.

Thanks Harley, Roy, and Snake for the input.

I bolded what clarified everything for me. Thank you.

Also being that I have a clinical degree and work in a hospital I do hope you have learned more than "what grandpa said" about mental illness, addiction and other things that affect every walk of life; rich and poor (mostly poor). Rich peole don't off themselves in record numbers due to depression and addiction like poor people do.

On topic, as long as the car is well maintained, mileage low or high won't matter. Low mileage cars that are well maintained will be driven a few miles a year to keep things in working order; along with fluid changes et. al. So buy what you can afford.

OP
OP
E

El Corvino

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea. So anyways, thanks again to the guys not on the rag who gave insightful replies.

I've learned growing up in South Florida that indeed most kids who grow up with everything given to them turn out to be useless drug addicts and a plague to society. I've also learned from traveling that this is not the case in most other places. Different culture down here.

I work the ICU. Couldn't tell you rich, poor, or in the middle. My patients are intubated and can't tell me. Haha

Last edited:

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hahaha, from what I've witnesses in life, rich people dont broadcast that they are rich. Buy low miles. Your posts sound stupid by the way

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper