Chrome 5 Spokes

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got my 5 spokes back from Cal Chrome. They really look good.

I did pick up some used HRE 547's in very good shape so I could still drive the Viper while the 5 spokes were being chromed. I like these wheels especially the 3" lip on the rear. They are a very high polished wheel with clear coat and they look just like chrome.

Here are a few pics of the chrome 5 spoke and the HRE split spokes that are on the Viper now. Which wheels do you like the best?

The last 2 pics are the Viper with the polished 5 spokes before they were sent to Cal Chrome. I don't want to put the Chrome 5 spokes on till I make up my mind which wheels I want on the Viper.

DSCF1189_edited-1.jpg

DSCF0010_edited-3.jpg
DSCF0029_edited-1.jpg
100_2462.JPG
100_2346_edited-1.jpg

Last edited:

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
both look good to me.. SAY, can you weigh the 5 spoke on the bathroom scales so we can have some idea of how much weight the chroming process adds.. thanks

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hiss;

I like the chromed 5 spokes but then again I like factory looking wheels. What I love about the factory 5 spokes is the spoke goes all the way out to the outer edge of the rim. It makes it look bigger than it really is. On your car, I think it would be the way to go.

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think the 5 spoke look the best in the pics above.

What tires is that on the HRE's PS2? Looks like way to much sidewall on the back if you ask me.
Those are 19's or 20's on the back (HRE's)

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Michelin 19" Sport Cups on the rear. Had these on both sets of wheels. Good sticky tire in warmer weather.

I think the chromed 5 spokes will look great on the Viper. I am from the old school I do like chrome wheels. The HRE's do look very good on the Viper and they also set out about 3/4" more than the 5 spokes. Not for sure but I believe they weigh less. Again I do like a the lip on the HRE

Woodhouse installed the HRE wheels for me-I sent the Viper to them for a little warranty work and some new mods. While the Viper was at Woodhouse I sent them the HRE wheels for installation and they sent the 5 spokes to Cal chrome for me.

Ill weigh the one in the pic but I do not have good accurate scales. Only opened one box - the 18" front. Cal chrome really did a great job and really packs them well. Ill have good shipping boxes.

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hiss, chrome 5 spokes all the way, they look great. Hopefully I'll send mine in some time. Take care......

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HRE's all the way. I'm partial. I love mine. So much better than stock. If you sell either set let me know. Have another Viper project on the way.

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Appreciate the comments.

For more $ I could of had the inside barrel chromed as well but as mentioned on another thread this is done mostly to show cars.

The main reason I sent the wheels to Cal Chrome was curb rash. Chroming will take care of curb rash so no addition expense was involved to take care of the rash. I can't say enough about the quality of work done by Cal Chrome. Actual chroming was 750$ for the 4 wheels-100$ for caps plus shipping to and from.

Here is a pic of the inner barrel

DSCF1208_edited-1.jpg

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just my opinion but I think the HRE's look much much better. The five spokes look okay but kind of standard.

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wallbanger

Does Cal Chrome do this or did you have it done by someone else? Seems like it would not be to hard a project especially with the wheels off the Viper. If I keep the 5 spokes I will see what I can do.

Your chromed H wheels really look great on your Viper. After seeing your H wheels I had to have my 5 spokes chromed.

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Darbgnik-I believe you like the 5 spokes:D

BTW-Don't know how much this will enter in on my decision to sale but my better half likes the HRE's the best. If I keep the 5 spokes I may get a :spank:. You know at my age I may just enjoy this sale.;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John - didn't think about looking into this option.

So far about even on which wheel.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the HRE's were 20's I'd easily say keep those, but with those being 19's I like the stock five spoke better except for the fact that the stock wheels tuck under the fenders too much.....hmm....???

flip a coin :) they both look good

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hiss, unfortunately with aftermarket wheels, they look small in stock sizes. That wheel design would look good if it was larger, but the 5 spokes look better if you are going to stick with stock sizes. Chrome 5 spokes all the way.

AZViper08

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, I never thought about doing chrome on the factory 5 spokes. Looks great! I agree with other posts that say HRE's in 19"/20" or keep factory chromes.

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If the HRE's were 20's I'd easily say keep those, but with those being 19's I like the stock five spoke better except for the fact that the stock wheels tuck under the fenders too much.....hmm....???

flip a coin :) they both look good

I completely agree, its the stock sizes that are not making those HRE's look great.

I would put the new 5 spokes on and sell the HRE's

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i actually think the 5 spoke look better on the gen 1 & 2, they seem to be in demand in europe when i was selling mine

NEW_RIMS_009.jpg

NEW_RIMS_003.jpg

NEW_RIMS_005.jpg

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like the pics-the black GTS really looks good with the 5 spokes

I think my chromed 5 spokes will even look better on my blue coupe than the stock polished clear coat.

Here is a crazy pic I took-BLING.

Hey Illsmoq-no tucking under the fender in this pic. You are right though-the 5 spoke is more tucked under the fender than the HRE. Mark at Woodhouse, who changed the rims for me, pointed this out. This is even more evident looking at the HRE rims in person.

I hate to think about changing the rims out-no one around this area can do it without putting on a few scratches-they say they can -but it has not turned out this way. Might be able to get it done in Louisville-near 100 miles away.

DSCF1211_edited-1.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960