Help! Annoying gap between front bumper and hood!

SilverViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a little gap between the hood and the front bumber just besides the front driver headlight. Strangely, there is no gap on the passenger's side. I have noticed the gap on many other Vipers. Do you know how to fix it???
Thanks!

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can adjust the hood to "fit" properly. I don't know how to do it, but I know there's a few people on here that do.

snowmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trying applying even pressure on the hood when you close it. Most of the time you are just push on one side when you close the hood push with both hand in the center and push down fast.

OP
OP
S

SilverViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know the way to close it perfectly but the gap is still there. The funny thing is that I have already noticed the gap on many other Vipers (Gen I or II, it doesn't matter) and the gap is always only on one side. I am quite a perfectionist...
;)

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
Trying applying even pressure on the hood when you close it. Most of the time you are just push on one side when you close the hood push with both hand in the center and push down fast.

[/QUOTE]

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
First thing to check is if both sides of your hood are latched. You can adjust the hood latches up and down. One of mine was adjusted wrong so the passenger side was not latching. Even after I fixed that I still needed to slide the light around and up to make it look like the driver side. The lights sits on shims. Every Viper is hand made so the number and placement of the shims is different for every car. I adjusted my passenger light because I had too much hood gap on the passenger side. It takes a few hours, but it is worth it.

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi,
Do a search on "hood gap" there will be a number of posts on this...I myself have posted on this a number of times and have received good advise on how to adjust the hood/bumper.
One thing I did on mine was to actually raise one of the sides of the latch. What was happening on mine is one side latch wasnt catching until i raised it up a little,then it would catch and the hood gap was smaller.
Cheers,

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Caution, when done adjusting your hood MAKE SURE that there is sufficient room between the inner most front top of your headlight lens and the hood. Also, make sure you adjust the rubber hood stops to snug your hood against the latch. If there is not enough gap your hood can scratch the lens cover. The lens has a clear coat applied to it. Adjusting the stops ensures that the hood does not jiggle around and end up cracking or scratch the lens cover.

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aoron, can you give any advise as to how to adjust...My 96 RT has crappy gaps from the factory, I especially hate the gaps ABOVE the headlights,
do I need to remove the front fascia to do this?

Tomer

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It helps a great deal to remove the front facia when adjusting the hood(better access). Either the latches the hold down the hood need to be adjusted or the 6 mounting bolts(3 on each side) need to be loosened and hood hinges need to be reposition to your liking. Keep in mind this can be VERY difficult without help. Tomer, when I was beck there, I could have squared ya up! Next time maybe :D

Mike