Hit a bump and no speakers

eaks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey everyone.. I took my 04 srt10 into work today and on my drive home I ended up hitting a massive pothole on the highway (I was honestly worried about wrecking a tire/rim on my driver front tire). Anyways as soon as I hit the bump I lost my speakers. Adjusted volume and drove and nothing.. I tried restarting the car and still nothing. I have an aftermarket stereo but just pulled the dash and had a look (my thought was maybe the amp trigger wire came out or something). Everything seemed good there and the head unit functions as it should (but no sound from speakers). I checked fuses under the hood and didn't see anything.. I pulled the passenger seat previously and was looking at the amp does anyone know if the amp has a fuse on it?

I do hear a faint static from the speakers when I turn my key to the on position but it doesn't change at all when adjusting the volume on the head unit. I have the old stock hesd unit in storage somewhere and may throw it in this weekend to test that out but I'm pretty sure it's something else. I have been considering a stereo upgrade over the winter as well so maybe that will end up happening but I would like to make sure I know what happened (if it just killed the factory amp that's fine but i find it highly unlikely. I didn't get air or anything just a large pothole at about 115km/hr).

I'll dig into it some more this weekend if I have some time but figured I would ask here if anyone experienced anything similar previously as maybe I am looking at the wrong thing.

Thanks everyone

OP
OP
E

eaks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ill just give an update. I think the issue is in the headunit. I installed a **** controller and wideband in advanced of my paxton install this winter and maybe a metal shaving went in there and shorted something out (triggered by the bump.. I did go through the harness and ensure all pins were properly seated on both sides). I plugged the stock headunit in and everything worked perfectly so it is certianly something with the headunit. I did reinstall it and tested the rca outputs to a JBL speaker and I can now listen to music using this for the time being. I am thinking I will most likely do a full stereo upgrade this winter as well as I would rather spend the money on upgrading the speakers and sub vs buying a new headunit. I wanted to test that the actual rca outputs from the headunit worked before making this decision and it does work as verified by the JBL speaker.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeff_ATX