My New Car (with pics!)

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
To all you jerks who said "it's not meant to be" and "you'll find a better one" when the deal with mdurbahn and the bee fell through...f**k you guys...you were right :D

If you recall back when I posted about what I wanted in a GTS, Taximan and I got into a little ******* match. I said "here is my wish list" and he sarcastically said "good luck." We bickered briefly but he is obviously more mature than I am and PM'd me to squash that. We talked a little back and forth and all was good...THEN he sent me this:

1998 Dodge Viper in North Aurora, IL 60542: Coupe Details - 265557524 - AutoTrader.com

I'm like "it's nice but it's way out of my price range." He told me to email them and see what they said. To my surprise the seller emailed me back that day to say "I'm calling you tonight. We'll work something out." Long story short, we did.

I got a hold of the shop that did the build and he had limited information, but what he recalled off the top of his head:

• Roe blower (10 lbs)
• 30 over bored and stroked bottom end with Diamond pistons/rods
• Jesel rockers
• SVS headers/full exhaust/no cats
• Boosted Pump
• VEC 2
• Accufab throttle bodies
• 670 to the ground on last tune (11.5/1 AFR in Chicago; getting it tuned for Tejas next week)

Some of you saw that Marty B sold his car. I had the pleasure of meeting him on Saturday morning. He showed up and asked my sales guy about my car and I was like "sh*t, he's gonna steal it from me." He introduced himself and I let out a sigh of relief. Eddie (fastzilla) bought Marty's car and we roadtripped 1200 miles back to Austin. Eddie got the full Gen. I experience, complete with rain and a not-quite-weatherproof top and a sunburned left arm. The only incidents to speak of were Eddie's getting pulled over in the wee hours for no plates and the Okie's messing with us up and down the toll roads (pacing us in our blind spots for 10-15 minutes at a time, hitting us constantly with radar/laser). That, and 1/2 my NACA duct flew off in the first 100 miles while I simultaneously threw 4 engine codes. A.R.T is going to look at that this week. My hood also wouldn't close all the way (as you can see in the Autozone pic) but I got the latch adjusted and it's solid now.

The verdict? I love it :D I'm getting used to the full-size steering wheel (my RT had a small one) and the adjustable gas pedal was ENTIRELY too close. With that much power to the ground, having an ill-placed gas pedal was interesting to say the least...especially in the rain. This thing has power on demand at any RPM in any gear. It's an obnoxious amount of power and will take some getting used to, but I love it. 1 of 21 in this color in 1998 according to the registry, and it's a paint scheme that won't show fine scratches like my red RT did. I don't know if there was a more perfect car out there for me. This one is a dream come true.

Without further ado, a few pics from the trek:

It starts raining on us before we leave Aurora:
You must be registered for see images

The pair parked outside IHOP, waiting for the clouds to part:

Pic of half my NACA duct gone; it came off in the middle of a 4-lane highway in the rain. We weren't able to find it:

We met my family in St. Louis for the best pizza ever, Imo's:

Filling up in the 'Lou:

A half-assed shot at dusk of Eddie on I-44 in Missouri:

Filling up again in Joplin. Note: I got almost 20mpg when I took it easy, but we still stopped every 250 miles anyway. Not bad!

Back in Texas, getting the codes read. I had a rich code (understandably), a "not getting up to operating temp" code (understandable), a crank sensor code and one more for good measure (I forget what it was).

I committed bug genocide in Missouri and Oklahoma. I'll bill you guys later for this service:

Right before the first wash:

After the rinse but before any in-depth cleaning:

Geoff at Ogden was the sh*t when it came to the car. It's by far the best dealership buying experience I've ever had. Driving with Eddie was a blast and meeting Marty was a treat. Great car, great experience!

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here are some pics from the classified ad. Forgot to mention: Clean title and 23k miles.

I don't think I'm a fan of the finish on the blower/valve covers and will probably go back to stock valve covers at some point and have it all powdercoated, but the first order of business is getting it tuned for Texas.

OP
OP
J

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
BTW, you know the pedal adjustment knob is right on the lower dash panel right?

Is it a knob? I found a thread a while back that said you had to remove the knee bolster and it seemed more involved than I had time for on the trip. If it's that simple I'm going to kick myself (as soon as I can feel my leg again).

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yep, reach under the steering wheel, past the vent hole and there will be a knob that you turn to adjust the pedal height

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think I'm a fan of the finish on the blower/valve covers and will probably go back to stock valve covers at some point and have it all powdercoated, but the first order of business is getting it tuned for Texas.

yes please
those VCs are hideous
get the VCs and intake tubes powered coated to match, maybe blue :2tu:

OP
OP
J

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
yes please
those VCs are hideous
get the VCs and intake tubes powered coated to match, maybe blue :2tu:

I was thinking the same thing...with the logos on the VCs brushed and the silver Roe graphics. Also need some blue AB wires and blue smooth tubes to match.

I wish I knew the knob was that easy to adjust...I feel like an idiot. At least I can say "WELL ON MY GEN. I..." and try and plead ignorance that way. That the first order of business when I get home today. Thanks, guys!

OP
OP
J

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jason, I am glad your Happy with the car. Well Bought.

I have to give a very, VERY large credit to you, my man. I wouldn't have even called if you didn't suggest it. I never scroll that far down on the Autotrader ads because I always ruled out anything above $35k because I figured they wouldn't budge. So a HUUUUUUUUUGE thanks to you, Taximan. I can say without doubt that that car would NOT be in my garage without your PM. Thanks, man.

martyb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, did you and Eddie have a chance to line up for a few roll ons on the long trip home Jason?

Car looks great, it was nice to meet you, and I am jealous that you both got to enjoy a long road trip.

OP
OP
J

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So, did you and Eddie have a chance to line up for a few roll ons on the long trip home Jason?

Car looks great, it was nice to meet you, and I am jealous that you both got to enjoy a long road trip.

Eddie and I didn't line them up. We had rain for a good distance and I'm not that comfortable with the car yet. I need to get the pedal in the right place and get it tuned before romping on it. It's going to be a blast when I get a feel for the power...that thing is absolutely nuts, man.

It's rare that someone from the SAME city is flying to the SAME city the SAME weekend to buy a VIPER with the SAME mods/power AND drive it back. I'm really happy we did it, though; it was a great experience.

Eddie is going to enjoy the hell out of your car; it's perfect for him. He's a true gearhead and thought his ACR was too refined, so that beast of a Gen. I has found a good home.

I think selling a car you love is a lot like giving away your daughter's hand in marriage. I had the weirdest feeling in the pit of my stomach as I watched my car drive away, even though I knew I wanted to sell it. No worries, Marty; Eddie is going to take good care of 'er!

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You bought a lot of car for the money. That was a good deal at $40K, but sounds like you did much better, congrats Jason! Also those VC are not cheap. Over $1000 when they could be bought :eek:

OP
OP
J

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You bought a lot of car for the money. That was a good deal at $40K, but sounds like you did much better, congrats Jason! Also those VC are not cheap. Over $1000 when they could be bought :eek:

I keep pinching myself. I refused to admit it was happening and didn't tell many people because I didn't want to jinx it. I'm still expecting for something to happen and for it to be taken away because it seems just too good to be true. Hopefully this wears off soon so I can fully enjoy it.

Well, if anyone likes the valve covers let me know. I kept trying to find where I'd seen them before but couldn't. It's a little much bling for me; I'd rather powdercoat the Roe and stock VCs. I'd be willing to work something out if someone wanted them.

Thanks to all with the well-wishing! I'm still beside myself.

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jason was the iron man and pushed it all the way to Austin Sat night/Sun morning. I wimped out and stayed in Norman, OK - you can tell I was tired stopping there being a die hard UT guy! That GTS is just awesome - sounds good, freakin fast. Had a few long hair, curvy fans follow us off the highway to a gas station to take photos by Jason's GTS - great way to start the trip! I feel horrible about your Naca vent Jason... I was glad to get out of IL mainly because of all the rain - I had my 10yr old on towel duty so it worked out.

We did get one little sprint in MO. Much fun - cars ran pretty even from 2nd to deep into 4th. This was by no means a line up and 3 honks but surreal and the velocities achieved in a matter of seconds. Jason hit it first then I reacted - I couldn't see his face but I wall just giggling and hanging on.

One for the books. Fly and drive is the only way to go!

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate those valve covers, but if your willing to sell them cheap, I'm looking into doing some experiments with some covers but I need an aluminum set like those. PM me if your interested. They are going to have an ugly fate, but I'd rather cut those up than a set of stockers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drock187