Navy Centennial event/car show July 30 -- Need responses of those interested

Green Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

We have a very unique opportunity to help the Navy celebrate their 100th anniversary here in Washington state at Whidbey Island. :usa:

There will be a car show (actually a few different areas) near some of the vintage planes, it will allow us to make up for the *** (rootbeer) show being cancelled.

I need answers by June 2 on who might attend, this event is limited to current club members and their guests, for insurance and access reasons. We are limited to 20 cars, so please let me know soon if you are interested before it fills up.

Some additional details are below:

SATURDAY, July 30
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]General Public event hours advertised as 10:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]Ault Field
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]CoNA Flight LineRun (9:00am start)
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]Tales of Naval Aviation
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]Stephen Coonts : Author of Flight of the Intruder
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]Cory Graff: Author of The Navy in Puget Sound (invited)
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]Commander (ret.) Harry Ferrier: Battle of Midway survivor
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]Ralph Wetterhahn: Author of Bomber 31
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]Captain (ret.) John Schork: Destiny in the Pacific
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]Captain (ret.)Walt Spangenburg: Korean straight deck panther pilot
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]Rear Admiral (ret.) Lyle Bull: Viet Nam A-6 pilot
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]Pearl Harbor Survivors
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]Ready Room for event officials, participants and invited guests
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]Static displays (Vintage Aircraft, Heritage Painted Aircraft, Current Inventory)
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]SAR land rescue demonstration
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]Car Show
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]NW Ferrari Club, Delorean Club, Viper Club
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]Porsche Club, Lotus club (invited)
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]Motorcycle Rally
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]Whidbey Island Radio Control Society Aircraft demo

We We will be parked near 25 vintage planes in the SW corner of Ault field which should make for a very unique photo opportunity!

%5CDocuments%20and%20Settings%5Cjretych%5CMy%20Documents%5CPersonal%5CVCA%5C2011%20club%20stuff
Sorry the pictures of the planes they sent me didn't post...

(They are asking for a list of potential attendees including full legal names, vehicle description and license plates so that access can be arranged.)

Thanks-

James

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Green Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great responses thus far from the officers and the few people that know about it... an email notice should be going out shortly to everyone and I expect it will fill up quickly and the farmer's almanac shows the end of July is typically a dry weekend in Seattle!!

We were just informed that the passes we get will allow access to the shuttle from Ault field to the sea plane base for those that want to see the sea planes. More details as they are finalized.

OP
OP
G

Green Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you to all that responded, we broke through the 10 car barrier and I added yet another this morning.

Just a reminder the event is Saturday July 30th but we need to sign up TODAY for the passes.

I am still missing a couple of license plates from the final list so if I have emailed you asking for your license plate please get that to me today if possible.

There are still a few of the normal car show regular attendees that we have yet to RSVP (possibly due to a conflict with the Rose City Corvette events in Portland that same weekend.)

If you are interested (even as a tentative) please contact me so I can get you on the list, it does not commit you to attend but if you do not get on the list you will only get public access to the facility and miss some of the extras!

James

OP
OP
G

Green Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have the required information from everyone now and have reserved 2 extra spots until the 15th in case anyone else wants to join.

While all of the details are not 100% finalized, it does appear we will be parking very near the 25 vintage planes and will have VIP access badges that will also allow us to use the shuttle to the sea planes.

So LAST CHANCE, if you are interested in what could prove to be a very unique picture opportunity and car show, contact me today!

First two cars that respond with full name for driver & passenger plus car description + license plate will get in! Others will just have to see the pictures post-event.

Thanks again to all that helped get me the information to meet our deadline and a special thanks to Charley for following up with our membership via email!

OP
OP
G

Green Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quick reminder that this event is still on and is scheduled for Saturday. We will need to plan to arrive as a group @ Ault field, 8 am sharp so I will be looking for a place nearby for us to coordinate.

We have a dozen cars lined up and everyone with VIP access!!!

This should be a great photo opportunity to get your Viper with some vintage planes.

Please contact me with any questions-

Thanks-
James

OP
OP
G

Green Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

We just got an update from Dean "catfish" Samaniego (our contact at the Navy), he suggested we meet at a gas station about 5 minutes away from the base. Soundview Gas station at the intersection of W. Troxell Rd and 20. It has a large parking lot and is only 5 minutes North.

I have the parking/access badges and emailed them out plus will bring a hard copy for everyone just in case.
If you want to print your own just to be sure you have it, please feel free to do so, they are all separate pages in a PDF document that I emailed out earlier today, if you did not get it or had problems with it let me know.

Some frequently asked questions from the various clubs are also addressed below:

You will need the pass to gain access to the car show area/flight line access point (VIP area, not the normal public entrance for the event!)
Please place it on the right side of the vehicle's windshield. You must have a photo ID to accompany the pass.

Here are some answers to the common questions.

- Food will be available at the Seaplane Base.
- We will have transportation for Seaplane participants to go to Ault Field and back.
- Early Exits. Yes, and it doesn't have to be an emergency. There will be security patrolling the area. Just notify them and they will clear a path for you.
- Coolers are allowed. Exceptions are they must stay in the car and no glass.
- Please bring chairs as I don't know how many will be available for us.
- Ault Field participants will use the Charles Porter gate to depart.

.... I'll see everyone at the gas station at or before 7:45.

James

OP
OP
G

Green Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quick update:
The special access/parking passes that were E-mailed out will also serve as your access to the VIP area(s). Our names have been added to the official list and we will be checked against our IDs so no other credentials or passes for the Viper drivers or their guests will be required. This is great as it will save us from having to manage yet another item.

Don't forget your cameras as we will park very close to 25 vintage war birds and will have a shuttle to the area with the sea planes, lots of good photo opportunities!

James

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth