No GTS????

Frank Parise

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Coupes will be produced during 2001 and 2002. The next generation Viper will be the convertible. Last week, the VCA-Arizona region met with Team Viper representatives from the Chrysler proving grounds in Phoenix. They are currently testing the prototype for the 2003 Viper which is supposed to be revealed to the VCA at VOI 7 in Detroit during the summer of 2002. It is a "true" convertible that will have "north of 500" horsepower, higher top speed, the same torsional rigidity as the current GTS, and a greatly improved drag coefficient over the dreadful .55 of the current RT/10. The convertibles will be the focus until the next generation coupe is produced. No telling when the next coupe will be made. If you want one, a 2001 is your best bet. I wouldn't count on many, if any, coupes being available or even porduced during 2002.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Frank,

Why are you saying "little or no" coupes in 2002? Wouldn't they be running the same line a CAAP? so wouldn't the mix be the same?

Frank Parise

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
To answer Joe's question about whether or not there will be coupes produced during 2002: I have no official information whatsoever. I just thought that they would be tooling up for the new Viper and they might have little production of anything during 2002. Your point is well taken about why they would produce RT/10s but not coupes. I would question how much buying demand there will be for a 2002 Viper knowing that a huge model change is about to take place, especially with the hopes of a "much improved" Viper. On the other hand, with no more coupes being produced for at least a couple of years, maybe they will decide to focus on coupes during 2001 and 2002. Maybe that's too logical?? I'm glad I don't have to make these kind of judgments for Dodge!
To respond to Jon's remarks about the .55 drag coefficient..that's the number that was quoted by Team Viper. They went on to confirm that the RT/10 is, indeed, worse aerodynamically than a Dodge Ram P/U. I believe I have seen a .45 figure for the Ram. I specifically asked the question as to whether the new Viper would be more slippery than the C5 Corvette. He pretended not to know the drag coeff. for the C5. I told him it was published at .29. He said he didn't think they would get it that low. Oh well. For reference, the GTS has a .35.
Just to clarify one other matter, our meeting took place at Bill Luke Dodge. The proving grounds in Phoenix has more security than the Hughes aircraft missile plants. I doubt we will ever be invited there, although I was fortunate enough to be included in a small visit organized by Maurice Liang a couple years ago. I doubt that will ever happen again either.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look for a GTS to arrive a few years after the RT10 model, similar to the way it happened the first time. Viper has such a low production number that they need to get as much possible exposer as possible. If they launched both models right off the bat, it would eliminate the amount of press Viper will receive over the life of the next generation Viper.

pitviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if this is true, then what car would team oreca be running in lemans and in the alms in 2002? a racing version of the convertable, like what was run (not by oreca) in le mans in like 93 or 94 (the neon orange one)? or will it be a true next gen gts-r (or gts-r/t)? if they have the gts-r/t ready to race by 2002, why couldn't they feasibly develop the new gts right along side?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qdog