Questions for MD/VA/DC metro Viper Owners....

Kevin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm very excited to announce I'm the proud new owner of a super clean 14K miles Blue w/ white strips 97' Viper GTS...purchased with a few tasteful tweaks and mods already complete. :laugh: I'm had been waiting for this day for many years and wanted it only one way (the blue/white commemorative color version). I live in MD close to D.C. and was wondering where and who I can see for service, repairs and mod installations in our area. First thing I want to know is what service(s) I need to do at 14K miles? Please point me to the right shop/individual within 80miles of the DC metro area for Viper modding and service. Thank you all, and very happy/excited to be a part of this ******** community. ;)

--- Kevin D.
(Southern, MD)

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey congrats! I live in northern VA, the fairfax area.

I haven't had to get any repairs done yet so i am not sure where to take it but am curious as well.

There are alot of local guys who know their stuff and im sure could help you out or point you in the right direction

OP
OP
K

Kevin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in Southern, MD...just outside Waldorf in White Plains. ;)
--- Kev

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi kev,
I'm in Southern Md too.
Chaptico only a few miles from jeffdai.

I don't know where to tell you to go for service, but don't go to Ralph's Dodge in Prince Frederick MD.
I had trouble with them after they backed one of their company trucks into my Viper while they had it for repair.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome! And shoot me a PM for membership information. We have a lot of great events coming up. As far as dealers I can recommend Keene Dodge, north of Baltimore. And Antwerpen which is out Columbia way. The boys from N. Virginia should chime in as I know there are a couple over that way.

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's a Dodge dealer in Springfield, VA, right next to that nightmare of a construction zone where I-495 meets I-95 and I-395, etc.

Used to be called Jerry's Dodge. It's under a new name, but you can find it in the yellow pages. One of my buds lives a couple miles from that dealer, and has had their Viper Tech work on his 99 GTS (used to be my car) a couple of times. He was pleased with the work they did there. They'll do mods as well.

If you don't mind a road trip to the Va Beach area, one of my best friends is a great mechanic, and has worked on a dozen or so Vipers. He's also rebuilt half a dozen wreck/total Vipers. He's the guy I use to track prep my ACR before road course events. I give him the car for 3 or 4 days, and he brings it back ready for the track. He also track-prepped that 99 GTS mentioned above for the same track event @ VIR this past weekend.

PM me if you need more info.

Welcome to the Viper world. Those blue/white hot-cammed 97 GTS' are awesome.

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The best guy was Heffner but he moved to a warmer climate (FL) :( .

The problem with dealers in this area is your car gets the same treatment as a Dodge Neon, nothing special.

Your best option is to learn the Viper and do the work yourself. There are some highly qualified Techs on this forum that will provide expert assistance.
Chuck Tator aka The Wizard is one. :2tu:

BTW congrats on your Viper.

Peter-RedGTS'98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've done my AC repair this month at Jerry's Dodge in Springfield, VA. Ask for Jeff. I talked to him for some time and like him. I saw another Viper under his care as well.

Biff Brown

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call Jeff East at Safford Dodge in Springfield Va....703-866-1700... Them him you're a friend of "Biff's"... My # is 703-960-6682 if you need directions.... Great and knowledgable people... P.S..... All you MD boys buying hardtops should check with your Va. distributor first..:)
www.vipermania.com

OP
OP
K

Kevin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really appreciate all the suggestions. I too am wary of taking it to a dealer...unless its a dealer known for having Viper specific techs who are enthusiasts and go the extra mile for these cars and do modifications as well**
I am contemplating just doing work on it myself, as suggested. But I would still need to meet and consult with a local expert on everything first.
This car already has a really nice intake system on it already and an exhaust. I don't know as of yet who's exhaust and intake it actually is so I'll take digital pictures and post them on here as soon as I get the chance. Also you can hear what sounds like a pretty extreme lope at idle which makes my friend think it has a camshaft upgrade...which would probably mean the heads were done up too...the thing pulls REAL hard. Basically, I feel a dyno run at my friends shop locally should tell me what I wanted to know. Would just having intake, exhaust and possibly higher ratio roller/rockers be enough to make it idle like that? I know the 97's have a hotter cam but this is VERY noticeably lopey'er then my friends 2002 GTS with only a snake oil exhaust....

--- Kevin D

PS: Anyone else in NoVa or MD wanna chime in about mod shops or great service people for these cars please feel free...I will definitely follow up on the suggestions/people already mentioned too, thanks. :)

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff at Safford Dodge in Springfield has also worked on my car. I try to work on mine as much as possible, but he's a good backup.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since you are weary of taking it to the Dodge dealer, I suggest you give Bryon Mueller a call. He has done some work to mine and at leasst 2 dozen or so Vipers from other members in our area. He will be a able to guide you through your modification choices and install them. He is very detail oriented and your car will be well taken care of.

PM me if you want his contact info.

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh yeah Bryon has worked on my car too. Guess a lot of guys have worked on my car. Is that a good or bad thing?

Reaction score
...I would still need to meet and consult with a local expert on everything first.

Now...THAT is just a phone call away! Heck, even working on the POS Ranger my son drives...I can call The Wizard and his crew for a "tech assist". I'll be on my back, under a car, bluetooth headset in my ear getting guidance!! LOL!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang