Rebuild old motor or replace with new crate motor???

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First I would like to thank everyone who reponded to my cry for help regarding Dodge taking 12 weeks to rebuild my motor because of their factory defect. One of the replys I received stated I might be able to turn the screws on them and have them put in a new crate motor instead of rebuilding the motor already in it. It's a 2000 with 9,000 miles, rebuild the motor at least 12 weeks, crate motor 5 weeks and to top it off they won't give me a loaner car (is that fair?). So I would be interested in hearing any pros and cons to which way should go, Dodge is NOT being very cooperative.

Thanks Ron (SoCal Rebell)

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The disadvantage to getting a new crate motor is that the serial numbers now would not match. Resale wise, it would devaluate the car.

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron,

I think I e-mailed you exactly the same comment Ulysses made above. I think having a rebuilt motor will also de-value the car. For every speed freak like you or me out there who might pay a premium for a rebuilt motor that is stronger than stock, there are probably 5-10 other prospective buyers who place a higher premium on how original and trouble-free the car is.

I think your number one choice should be lemon law, if it applies to you. Otherwise, bite the bullet and wait the 12 weeks for the rebuild. And I agree, not getting a loaner is extra-crappy.

Maybe you should've bought a Vette instead? The only problems that the 2001 C5s routinely have are: sticking brakes (happened to me), failing active handling sensors (I got a warning message once, but it has gone away now....likely to reappear, I bet), excessive oil consumption, and steering column lock. The latter is particularly amusing. You know how the steering column locks up if you turn the wheel without the key in the ignition? Well, sometimes this happens permanently on the C5, even with the key in the ignition. Great, huh? But at least I haven't heard of any recall-type motor problems....

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron, I also had my motor rebuilt early last spring luckely there weren't many in the que before mine when it showed up at Arrow. I can't say if it is any more powerful but it is fresh. Only nagging problem has been power steering pumps. Never had a problem with my original one and have replaced it twice this summer. I'm getting pretty good at changing them out though.:cry

Frank Parise

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
It shouldn't take 12 weeks. Mine was done in less than 6 weeks. I purchased a crate motor to have as a spare before my original motor was rebuilt. I never missed a race.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine