Who hauls their toddlers in the Viper?

artman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a two and three year old whom I often want to take with me in the Viper (gives wife a small break from one child and I get to go cruising
smile.gif
). We have six different car seats, booster seats, tried them all and none of them fit properly/safely to my liking in the pass. seat. All are too wide or do not angle properly. If anyone has ideas or a compatible product that work pls post details. Thanxs.

NascarDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Artman,
I think Partsrack has a carseat that comes with a build in kid size 5pt harness. I think Ben had some pictures of his under the topic "too cute" or something like that. Do a search and you'll find it.
I've got an Eddie Bauer car seat that fits great and I take my 2 year old with me (he loves the wind and the sounds).

Dave

pj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used to take my 2-year old all over the place. She loved the wind blowing on her as we drove around. She also enjoyed waving at everyone who was looking her way (obviously thinking they were looking at her!)

I used some padding under the back of the seat to make the seat work for me.

Make sure you turn OFF your airbags!

Brad Manhattan Beach

Viper Owner
Reaction score
All 3 of my kids (9, 5 and 3 years old) love riding in the Viper. My 3 year old boy actually believes that it is his GTS, and he is just letting me borrow it. He rides around waving to people like he's riding on a parade float...LOL.

I had to add my passenger side airbag cut-off switch, but it was well worth it. I am really glad that hey all enjoy the Viper. Their friends are always talking about it at school, so they know what its like getting the extra attention because its a Viper.

Brad

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My son is only 7 months so he hasn't been around in the Viper yet! I can't wait to get it out when I get home in a couple weeks!
I plan on getting the seat Dave mentioned w/5pt harness. Tom Shapiro has one and it is awesome! I'm not sure where he picked it up though.
Repeat of what Michael said, airbag OFF!!

GONABITE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My girlfriends 4 year old daughter always asks if I can come pick her up in the "fast car" and pretty good to she knows when it is raining she does not get picked up in the "fast car". When I got it she told me to watch out for the cops. Pretty funny if you ask me that a 4 year old can tell a fast car and knowa about the cops.

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ANyone have a significant other who says that for the RT, it ain't safe for the kids? My wife is pretty sure having the kids in a vert is not safe...And with the sticker on my car stating that the sport bar is NOT a roll bar, I understand her position...

Help me, my 13 month old really wants to ride in my 96 RT (at least I would like to think so)

Tomer

Brad Manhattan Beach

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tomer:

I would agree with your wife if you weren't using a car seat. The truth is that you can find several wrecks on this board where the RT's have stayed intact in a rollover situation. If your kid is properly secured into the car seat (and the seat is secured properly into the passenger seat), it should be very safe for you both.

Seeing that you have a '96 RT, I would assume that you do not have an passenger airbag shut-off switch. This would be more of a concern to me (regarding your kid's safety) than the car seat. My GTS did not come with this switch and I needed to upgrade the switch and dashboard. The airbags being used in these earlier Vipers are Gen 1 airbags that have proven to be fatal in accidents where children were sitting in the front seats of other cars. They are basically small rocket propelled devices.

Please look into the airbag cut-off switch if you haven't made the change already. You can do a search on this BB to find all of the details on it.

Take care and I hope that this helps.

Brad

Reaction score
My son will be 3 in June and has been riding in Vipers from 8 weeks old.

I presently use the Simpson Child car seat. I have not found a seat that fits any car to my liking. To secure the seat I put as much pressure as possible and pull ******* the shoulder strap. The strap must be pulled straight or the belt hardware will bind. I feed the tether strap through the hole in the head support down to my side 5 point belt. The tether clip is attached to the 5 point harness hardware. The seat is pretty secure. A rolled bath towel between the 2 seats (Viper/Child) in the area where the back and bottom cushion meet, helps firm up the child seat.

Always remember to turn off the passenger air bag.

OP
OP
A

artman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good stuff. Yes, the little ones love the Viper. I have the Simpson car seat mentioned above. It was narrow enough, but I could not get it tight; will try it again. Trying to be as diligent just like you all. Thanxs for all the comments.

Dr Roof

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2 year old cries everytime the car leaves the garage if he can't go with me. He loves this car!!! He is just asking now where is daddy's car???? I must say i miss it real bad myself!

David

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm pleased to see how many of us have 2 year olds (or thereabouts). I've yet to take my daughter in the Viper. Seeing that everyone else does, is giving me incentive. It seems that the choice of "fitting" car seats is one from Jon B or the Eddie Bauer. Is this the one? (Hope so since it will match the Sapphire Blue).
ebcarseat.jpg

Two cars...of course...two carseats!!! (sheesh)

AndyR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2 year old Max loves riding in both our Viper and Prowler. He knows which is which and calls them by name.
Max1.jpg

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, I got the JonB / Teamtech seat. My 3-year-old son Nick loves it and loves riding in the car. My 8-month-old daughter Olivia still gets the standard backward-facing child seat, which also works.
You must be registered for see images

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by treynor:
Yep, I got the JonB / Teamtech seat. My 3-year-old son Nick loves it and loves riding in the car. My 8-month-old daughter Olivia still gets the standard backward-facing child seat, which also works.
You must be registered for see images

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ben:

Is that the "stock" harness? Does it come in alternative colors? GREAT looking seat!

BTW, I think your son would prefer the other seat....the one behind the steering wheel.
smile.gif

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ordered my seat through Parts Rack -- TeamTech will do the harness in whatever color you want. Since my RT already had yellow 5-points for the adult occupants, yellow kid-seat straps were a no-brainer.

And yes, Nick will soon enough figure out that the real fun is had in the driver's seat
smile.gif

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting that Jon B's been mentioned something like 5 times in this thread and he has NOT posted?! He's usually on top of this stuff. I should have gotten an automatic e-mail by now with the available colors and pricing etc.
laugh.gif
Can't believe I'M going to have to cantact HIM!

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, the search key is a terrible thang to waste!

From this OLD post, does anyone currently use the Eddie Bauer seat, and can someone provide
a more specific name of the seat? I saw an Eddie Bauer seat that looks like its the most narrow
of all, but its a "booster" seat, and I understand they don't provide as much protection as the
convertible seats...But the convertibles, all require the HUGE base which won't fit into my
narrow 96 RT seats...

We wasted 2 hours at Baby's R US on Saturday, all in a failed attempt to get my 2.25 year old
into the Viper...He says, "I yike it". Lets make noise Daddy! We need to get out of our driveway
and down the road :D

Thanks in advance
Tomer

SneakyPete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mines 5 years old now and rides every weekend.

On the 2001 turned the air disable switch. in the 1997 pull both air bag fuses so their are no accidental deaths from a fairly minor accident.

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On weekends my Viper has a child seat in ti more often than not. I have been driving my daughter in it since she was a few months old and she is now almost 3 years. I use a Britex Roundabout which fits well. I just pull the airbag fuses which disables both airbags.

My daughter has named the Viper "raa raa rumm" ....

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Jeff! So i guess that seat does not have a wide flat base? My 96 RT/10 does not
have any airbags, so I don't have to worry about that!

Tomer

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow....old post! I actually bought the Teamtech seat. Works fine, but what a PIA to secure into the seat. For me, it's often enough to discourage a ride with my daughter. :(

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CitySnake, do you know what base seat Team Tech used? I was told it might be a COSCO brand. I love the idea
of having them do custom colours, but my 96 RT/10 has more narrow seats that your car, so I want to be sure
it fits without smashing the side bolsters too much.

thx
Tomer

Gheijos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Out in Elburn, IL at a diner off Rt 47 I ran into a sweet looking GTS
that had a baby seat. So I park near by and had some Ice Cream at
the mom/pop shop next door. See the owner buckle the kid in and then
I see his wife hop into her Porche parked next to him with there other
kid. It must be nice.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 5 year old rides all the time (as the Viper is my everyday car).... I found a booster seat which fits very well in the 1996 seats.

He weighs almost 70lbs, so the booster seat works well.

Funny, the wife was reluctant to let him ride in the 1969 Mach I that we own (I had to install shoulder harness seat belts to get her approval)..... but she never balked at him riding in the Viper.

Tomer...... keep the shiny side up... and there should be no worries!!

Lance