04 SRT's NEED INFO ON THE DIFFERENTIAL

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
04 SRT\'s NEED INFO ON THE DIFFERENTIAL

Does anyone know if the diff. in the 04's are any stronger than the 03's I did hear about a pin issue some time back. If that's been improved, great, but are there anymore improvements to it? What are some good option's out there, without spending a fortune.

I will be putting down around 625 HP and running drag radials on the car. I'll be changing gears out on the car, and it would be a good time to upgrade the diff., and what about the CV shafts, is there a weakness there as the GTS's had?

Skip White

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Re: 04 SRT\'s NEED INFO ON THE DIFFERENTIAL

SKIP- Differentials are identical other than a POSSIBLE carrier pin change, dont know for sure. they LOOK the same, but looks can be decieving. At any rate, Unitrax makes a HD pin that is WAAAY stronger than anything Dodge would ever use. not too pricey, and not all that difficult to install either. let me know if you would like one of these pins....

OP
OP
S

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks Daniel, I did get in touch with Jerry at Unitrax, and he confirmed what you are saying. This cross pin issue is serious.

I have an acc. at Unitrax as I'm into the Chevy Pro Street stuff and they have been great supplier's and consultant's to me. The SRT is such a new animal, when it comes to modding, It's good to hear from people that have some insight to these things.

Skip White

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Skip-

Just so you know, dont let anyone tell you that you have to remove the differential to install the pin. Hell, you dont even need to remove the driveshaft or axles. if you support the diff and remove all mouting hardware, as well as pull and secure the e-brake lines out of the way, you can remove the rear cover and shimmy it around the ring gear. This will more than likely require 2 people, as one person needs to pull the diff towards the front of the car, and the other to CAREFULLY remove the rear cover. Be careful not to drag the sealing surface over the ring gear. The axle & driveshaft boots will make the diff want to spring back, so be careful and take your time. Make sure you use Mopar Red Axle Sealant, and Mopar Axle lube and friction modifier, just like gen 1/2. You will need a ?5/16? TWELVE point wrench to remove the retaining bolt for the carrier pin. Loctite the retaining pin upon reassembly (Loctite #242). yes, the diff's use GRAY sealant from the factory, but for some reason the gray available over the counter, even Mopar, isnt the same thing. (perhaps a way to tell if it has been pulled?)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96