06 SRT/10 Coupe-VS-07 Shelby Mustang GT350

bloose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If this concerns you, I highly recommend an article addressing this topic written by the guy that built my 95' Mustang Cobra almost 10 years ago (my numbers are in my sig. My best is a 12.68 @ 117 with BFG DRs)

Tuning the 2007 Shelby Cobra

Here are the important bits:

"The first pull was a disappointingly low 382 RWHP and then after a 15 minute cool down, the next totally stock pull jumped right up to 407 RWHP and 425 ft lbs at peak TQ. This is all it would show totally stock."
"All it took was some additional spark and leaning out the A/F just a little, and we managed to find what we think is a very safe 475 RWHP and 450 RWTQ tune with no other changes. As I predicted from originally just looking at the tune and then applying some of the changes I felt would work, It looks as if Ford left somewhere in the neighborhood of about 85 to 90 HP untapped (at the flywheel) from just tuning alone! From previous experience we believe that the tune we've developed for the new Shelby is safe and will not detonate with 93 octane fuel."

Dyno charts included. This is probably one of the most honest evaluations of the car you will find.

bigerc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The best magazine time for the GT500 is 12.2, with an expert driver (powershifting).
But most other magazine tests have clocked the GT500 between 12.7 and 13.2 in the 1/4 mile. (Stock Gen I Viper numbers) :cool:

The Shelby essentially uses an iron block version of the Ford GT engine, and so it's going to have lots of capabilites with aftermarket mods. As with the '03-'04 Mustang Cobras they are easy and cheap to modify but they have severe traction issues without drag radials, as you would imagine. :eek:

There are apparently space issues with adding a smaller pulley, which will make simple boost mods a bit tougher.
And the heavy front weight bias and solid rear axle limit the car's handling capabilities somewhat.

I agree that the Viper needs to be moved upmarket. Not to isolate it from the Shelby GT500, which doesn't offer the balanced performance, or exclusivity, and is a 4-seat Ponycar that looks an awful LOT like the base Mustangs.

The Viper needs to have more power and lighter weight so that it can move ahead of it's real competition (European high performance cars like the Gallardo, F430, Porsche 997TT) and move it past the scope of the Z06 and base Porsche 997 which cost around the same price. :2tu:

Excellent point :2tu:

W. SKAF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok, i agree with two people here,
1- I don't care it's still a freeking Mustang and i will not drive one.

2- I'm tired of other stupid looking cars beating the Viper and specialy my friends talking trash so yes, please make a bad ass Viper just like it was in 1995 about 100 horsepower more than any other car that was out there otherwise i'm switching, when they made the Gen 1 it was so much more impressive than any other car by far and that is what i'm looking for.

bigerc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While it is disapointing to see cars (especially mustangs) beat a viper in comparos, it is even most disapointing or more frustrating to have to sit through a situation like this, where ford either sent a ringer or the cars were not driven fairly. Stock-for-stock the viper is a much better car in basically every category. Car and driver themselves have the shebly mustang losing to a standard vette in a comparo(not a Z06).

I guess it doesnt bother me because I know which is the better of the two and why, but there will be people out there that see that comparo and say, "Oh the viper cost a bijillion more dollars and a mustang can hand it to it blah blah blah..."

I also remember a post a long time back on this site. Possibly '03 maybe earlier. I forget who said it but I wish I would have saved it because someone said "Yeah it will eventually lead to viper vette comparos or even worse mustangs *cringe*." Its like a sick prophecy has been fulfilled.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still, the other side of that coin is that it's a great time for American cars! :cool:

From a 500HP Mustang to a 505HP Corvette to the actual building of the Ford GT, and hopefully soon a 625HP+ Viper. :laugh:

Competition only improves the breed. :2tu:

VNMOUS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Why can't people just appreciate the car for what it is--a nice sports car. These debates about what car is better and faster are ridiculous; this is the first and last time I ever respond to one. Get over it and be happy with the car you purchased. There will always be something newer and faster. I have always loved mustangs and have owned many over the years. Don't piss on something that benefits us all. Competition is what drives the market. As long as the Big 3 are competing to have "the king of the hill" we all win.

cbarber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If the GT500 Mustang is as fast as the claim here then it seems to me that a Ford man can go as fast as a GT40 for a lot less bucks.
CB

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I call [******] on the GT500 beating a Viper I have almost all the tests on the GT500 and it does not even come close!

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Mustang GT500 has been a disapointing car. With the regular C6 beating it in all aspects in every magazine out there. I have no doubt my Gen I could easily take it. Hopefully I will have a story soon. :2tu: