08' Viper, Gallardo, or keep what I have?

schackman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: 08\' Viper, Gallardo, or keep what I have?

what are some of the maintenance costs in dollars with this car? i remember seeing some ugly figures way back when concerning the diablo. are the costs about the same?

what does a new clutch cost and how often is it replaced? how much are brake pads? the nearest lambo dealership to jeff and i is a (3) hour drive away. how does jeff get the car serviced? is the clutch in a gallardo a cable like the diablo or is it hydraulic? i helped jeff put together a lift in his garage and discovered to my dissapointment how strong jeff is. :rolleyes: LOL therefore i am concerned about jeff being able to even PUSH IN the clutch.
You must be registered for see images

all kidding aside, i would love to hear the answers to these questions if anyone knows. i think jeff needs to know in order to make the right decision, and i am very curious.

To answer your questions.
The last Diablo I had was a 1994 SE30 with 1600 original miles when I bought it. The car was showroom new, but as with many Diablos, it just wasnt driven. When I got the car, I drove it! It was then that all the seals, gaskets and common settling issues arose out of the previous owner NOT DRIVING IT. An entire engine out service, seals, gaskets, brakes, cosmetics ect, ect cost $20,000 at Nelson Lamborghini. IF the car had been driven and maintained while being driven (oil changes, inspections ect..) This would not have been an issue. Regardless the car was a 14 year old cream puff that drove like hell after she was put back in service. YOU HAVE TO DRIVE THESE CARS!!!

Now, onto the Gallardo. Along with the Diablo and others it is a great misconception :shocked: that these cars are costly to maintain WHEN BEING DRIVEN. DRIVEN and properly serviced....not Museum pieces...
In the case of the Gallardo. 1st oil change @ 7,000 miles. Inspection of fluids belts ect.
My car has an E-Gear F1 Paddle set up. The brakes are Brembo 8 piston Front / 4 Piston Rear.
You dont do anything differnt in the Gallardo as you would a Viper or anyother car. Put Gas in, check the oil, wash and wax it, keep proper tire PSI...THATS IT.
There is no secret serviceing or costly repairs UNLESS you beat the [*****] out it, dont check fluids and all in all just dont take care of it.. LIKE ANY OTHER CAR.

On another note, the Gallardo is much more civillized abnd refined with more technology and advancements than the outgoing Diablo and the Murci as well.

As for parts, Parts is Parts. My car is under warranty as it is brand new. But just like Harley Davidson and even Viper...Lambo, Ferrari you pay for the name when it comes to needing something.

The Gallardo will only need in its life...Oil, Brake Pads, and some other fluids when applicable in the service guidlines...THATS IT. IF you drag race it, Launch the car at every stop light, redline it, You will have more issues than normal but not anymore than any other car. Lamborghini has come leaps and bounds in service and realiability in the past 6 years.

From Roanoke Ill, My best guess for service would be Fox Valley Motorcars AKA: Lamborghini Chicago, or Nelson Lamborghini in Marysville OH,
You wont find a dealer/service for Lambo as close as you would the next Dodge dealer, But once your hooked in with fine service people...your golden.

Thats it! :cool: Nothing special :2tu:

SM

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Keep what you have AND get the Gallardo. That's one **** beast compared to the Murcielago which is hideous in my opinion. Too bad they don't put that intoxicating V12 in the Gallardo!

--------------

Keith
(soon to be "Back In Black")

'97 Red/Black Stripe GTS - sold
'99 Black/Cognac GTS - arriving in May
'70 El Camino SS

NoRice

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I have been seriously contemplating gettign rid of the Viper and picking up a used Gallardo. I love the Gallardo in the ragtop version. To me the Gallardo looks stunning compared to the Murci roadster, which imo should not be a roadster at all. Even with the Gallardo top up, it still looks stunning. Performance isn't in the Viper territory but still nothing to look over. The Gallardo has some mods you can do to it to bump HP up, and if you really want to bump it up, send it over to Heffner for the TT system. :)

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Here's one optioned out exactly like I want in the color I want for a very reasonable price, and some extra aftermarket goodies to boot.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Gallardo-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Nice choice. Looks great. When looking for a Gallardo, always check for the Clutch precentage. The E Gear is a great option but because they are so smooth, the clutch wears a lot faster. With 11K miles and no mention of the clutch, the clutch might be close to gone. They typically last around 10K - 15K miles and a bit more if all highway driving. Just my two cents. GOOD LUCK EITHER WAY!

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

There isn't a lambo built that I'd trade my GTS in for,
but I'm a die-hard. Between the two, if you actually drive
your car the SRT will be much easier (cheaper) to maintain
and modifiy. My personal choice would be to keep what you
have as it gets harder every year to find decent Gen1/2s
will known histories.

Murcielago Roadster in Orange on Orange with E Gear!! :D

radta7

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I love the Murci!!! One of their best cars ever!!!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The Murci is the best Lambo ever. I've been in one around Sebring. They fly!

S

sachin

This is the best deal you can get right now. Reputable dealer from Lambo Power

www.CATSEXOTICS.COM
1866-LAMBORGHINI

06 Gallardo 6 speed, 5300 miles, $167g's! FUll warranty etc. Definetely worth checking out.

schackman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

www.CATSEXOTICS.COM
1866-LAMBORGHINI

06 Gallardo 6 speed, 5300 miles, $167g's! FUll warranty etc. Definetely worth checking out.

I know Roy well. He sold me my 94' SE30 and I am also over @ L-Power.

I have seen that car there for a while, and in person when it was at Nelson Lamborghini.....the reason the price keeps dropping is because of the interior color and partially the exterior....there has been discussion of that on the sites. But, VERY<VERY nice Gallardo for the price.

Mine has been listed there and also was just lowered on price....$189,888

It is currently the most optioned and CHEAPEST 2006 E-gear on the site :2tu:

That price is a steal and as close to new as anyone can get with those options :headbang:

ViperCorp

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My Diablo has been more reliable than both Viper's I've owned. So the maintenaince headache that everyone wants to believe is a fallacy created by people who just want to justify not owning one.

New Model Years are even more reliable.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My Diablo has been more reliable than both Viper's I've owned. So the maintenaince headache that everyone wants to believe is a fallacy created by people who just want to justify not owning one.

New Model Years are even more reliable.

I can't speak for anyone else but for me the maintenance headache would refer to expense not reliability. Doesn't the Murci have CF rotors? $$$.

Like most people I look at a $300,000 car and figure parts must be pricey. Labor not so much. I would think most skilled tuners could work on them. Maybe I'm wrong. Dunno.

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I drove a Gallardo and a Ferrari F430 back to back this past summer. Both are amazing cars, and different. If I had to pick one on the spot, to own and drive, $$ being equal, I would of probably picked the Lambo. Ferrari sound was intoxicating, but the Lambo somehow felt more solid, especially over 100 mph.

I live less than 20 miles from one of the largest (perhaps largest) Lamborghini dealers in the US. I was there less than a month ago and they had approx. 15 NEW cars plus multiple used vehicles in there showroom, all Lambo. Love the cars, the potential maintenance scares the crap out of me. Tech tells me that a clutch change is scheduled at 40 shop hours @ $115.00/hr, plus parts. Ouch!

I totally agree with Chuck a few posts up. Countach was the sh*t in its day but is very dated now. Look at one in real life (not a pic) and you'll see what I mean. Diablo forward are much more timeless. My $.02

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score

lambo, I'd do it in a minute if I had the money.

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score

In looking at the original question asked, I would have a hard time going from both a ROE 1998 GTS and a 1993 to trade in for just 1 car. My suggestion would to pick your favorite to keep and get either the Gallardo or 2008 Viper.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Here's my opinion.
It's not possible to decide between the gallardo and the '08 until that 600hp beast comes out. It's pretty obvious the performance is going to be truely awesome, but what other changes are to be made, and how they enhance the performance of the Viper is still up in the air.

Personally, I do not love the looks of the Gallardo. I do love the sound of it with a Heffner TT though!
But then again, I've tried the SRT10 and really don't love the looks of it either!

The fact is you can get a Gallardo and always sell it and pick up a Heffner TT '08 Viper if the Gallardo doesn't do you right! :headbang:

So I say buy the Gallardo from SM. He's a Valpo guy! So he's got to be OK. (Even though his cars are all garage queens! :D )

Personally though, if I was going to spend $200k on a Car it would be a Ford GT with Heffner TTs attached! But that's just me!

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

www.CATSEXOTICS.COM
1866-LAMBORGHINI

I know Roy well. He sold me my 94' SE30 and I am also over @ L-Power.

I have seen that car there for a while, and in person when it was at Nelson Lamborghini.....the reason the price keeps dropping is because of the interior color and partially the exterior....there has been discussion of that on the sites. But, VERY<VERY nice Gallardo for the price.

Mine has been listed there and also was just lowered on price....$189,888

It is currently the most optioned and CHEAPEST 2006 E-gear on the site :2tu:

That price is a steal and as close to new as anyone can get with those options :headbang:

Love the exterior but that interior is horrible.

schackman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Here's my opinion.
It's not possible to decide between the gallardo and the '08 until that 600hp beast comes out. It's pretty obvious the performance is going to be truely awesome, but what other changes are to be made, and how they enhance the performance of the Viper is still up in the air.

Personally, I do not love the looks of the Gallardo. I do love the sound of it with a Heffner TT though!
But then again, I've tried the SRT10 and really don't love the looks of it either!

The fact is you can get a Gallardo and always sell it and pick up a Heffner TT '08 Viper if the Gallardo doesn't do you right! :headbang:

So I say buy the Gallardo from SM. He's a Valpo guy! So he's got to be OK. (Even though his cars are all garage queens! :D )

Personally though, if I was going to spend $200k on a Car it would be a Ford GT with Heffner TTs attached! But that's just me!

Case,

Ahh. Nice to put a person with the post. I met you at the BMV while I was tagging my Gallardo a few months back. Nice Guy. :2tu:

Be easy on me with the garage queens..... ;)

That is one reason I am thinning out some cars. Not enough time to drive them all.

My problem is that every time I turn around I get an Idea for another car or project.

Shoot me a email. If youve never driven the 2006 Gallardo...Its an excillerating ride. Come by anytime.

SM

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Case,

Ahh. Nice to put a person with the post. I met you at the BMV while I was tagging my Gallardo a few months back. Nice Guy. :2tu:

Be easy on me with the garage queens..... ;)

That is one reason I am thinning out some cars. Not enough time to drive them all.

My problem is that every time I turn around I get an Idea for another car or project.

Shoot me a email. If youve never driven the 2006 Gallardo...Its an excillerating ride. Come by anytime.

SM

SM, I will have to take you up on that offer!

You have some very nice cars! It's tough this time of year to see them just sit there. Although, the weather has been incredible so far this winter.

We'll hook up.

Casey

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'd buy the Ford GT

+1.......oh wait i already bought one, lol

personally i would rather have an 08 viper than a gallardo.

if i had the dough i would buy a saleen S7 twin turbo. :usa:

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

2004 model year....and its already had its engine REPLACED.

I was thinking the same thing but at least it has a warranty. Perfect car for someone that wants a new engine but not new car price. If something goes wrong then the warranty will cover it. Nice car for someone to own for a year or so.

OP
OP
J

jdoc7

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I'd buy the Ford GT
I'm really considering this too. The more I read about these cars and the more I browse through Ford GT Forum.com, the more appealing the GT is. It's styling is already timeless. Decisions, decisions. I've contacted a dealer to see what we can work out. I'll keep you posted. As for the Gallardo, I think I'm gonna stay with good'ole American! Now can I change the title of this thread to " 08' Viper or Ford GT? " ;)

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score

now there, is a GREAT car jeff!! (SO JEALOUS!!)

i am VERY HAPPY for you my friend! :2tu:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala