'08 Viper has landed!

Flyntgr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My dealer shipped my new blue/white convert to my residence after dark last night, around 6p.m. So my photos are not up to par. I'll get some daylight photos today or tomorrow and post them. But this is the smoothest shifting Viper I've ever owned, including my '05 with Hurst shifter.
And all the talk about the side sills being hot are pure B.S. The ambient temp. in Louisiana was above 70 degrees, yet I put my bare leg against the side sill when the engine had reached almost 200 degrees, and the side sill only felt a little warm-absolutely NOT hot. My '05 sidesills had been hot until I put hiflo cats on it, and the hiflo's cooled them down enough. But the '08 side sills are even cooler than the '05 with hiflo's. So don't even think about changing the cats due to heat, because they are NOT hot.
This car sounds like it has catbacks, even with only 7 miles on the odometer. I drove it a total of 16 miles last night because it had rained for 15 minutes earlier in the day, and the road was a little wet. I won't open her up until I put some miles on her. The hood looks great, and the steering wheel has a carbon fibre design at the top and bottom sections.
Overall, I'm 100% satisfied that this is best driving Viper I've ever owned. I can't wait to hook up my GTech and give her a go. I won't take long getting the first 500 miles and oil change. :)

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great

I think it is evident I like blue the best.;) Good to hear about the sills.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats and yes please, pics as soon as you can . . .

Also, I posted these questions on another thread but would you mind answering the following:

First, my assumption has been that the factory oil fill is still Mobil 1 Synthetic 0w40. Is that right?

Second, what specifically does the owner's manual say for the break-in procedure?

Thanks and enjoy your new ride.

/Rich

OP
OP
F

Flyntgr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
RCL, the same Mobil one 0w-40w synthetic oil, 10 quarts with filter.
Breakin: Engine- do not exceed speed limits and do not exceed maximum rpm of 4,000, and do not reach 4K rpm until engine is warmed up-during the first 500 miles. Bill Pemberton says change oil and filter after the first 500 miles to get rid of any metal dust or shavings. Do not drive at a constant speed and do not make any full throttle starts or acceleration until after 500 miles. The next one is obvious: use the right gear for the right speed, rpm's. Avoid excessive idling, and check the oil level at every refill of gas (16 gallons). Above all, do not exceed 250 mph :).
Brakes: avoid hard braking and long (down hill on a mountain, for example) braking while the car is being broken-in.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RCL, the same Mobil one 0w-40w synthetic oil, 10 quarts with filter.
Breakin: Engine- do not exceed speed limits and do not exceed maximum rpm of 4,000, and do not reach 4K rpm until engine is warmed up-during the first 500 miles. Bill Pemberton says change oil and filter after the first 500 miles to get rid of any metal dust or shavings. Do not drive at a constant speed and do not make any full throttle starts or acceleration until after 500 miles. The next one is obvious: use the right gear for the right speed, rpm's. Avoid excessive idling, and check the oil level at every refill of gas (16 gallons). Above all, do not exceed 250 mph :).
Brakes: avoid hard braking and long (down hill on a mountain, for example) braking while the car is being broken-in.

Thank you very much. Enjoy that beast.

/Rich

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Breakin: Engine- do not exceed speed limits and do not exceed maximum rpm of 4,000, and do not reach 4K rpm until engine is warmed up-during the first 500 miles...

I've been a passenger with you driving. There is NO WAY that car stays under 4k in the first 500 miles!

congrats on the car! You deserve it after all you've been through!

Can't wait for the pics!

Anxiously awaiting...

Joseph

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Break in? Drive it like you stole it.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice pics!!!

Pictures_of_fans_car_and_exhaust_hood_061.jpg

Pictures_of_fans_car_and_exhaust_hood_060.jpg

Pictures_of_fans_car_and_exhaust_hood_059.jpg

Pictures_of_fans_car_and_exhaust_hood_058.jpg

OP
OP
F

Flyntgr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry I couldn't clean the car better, but I had **** surgery this morning, and took the photos this afternoon. My red 300G is in the background in the carport. Thanks to Joseph Dell for posting my photos from the gallery! This car is awesome, folks. Try one and you'll like it a LOT.

OP
OP
F

Flyntgr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks, everybody. I can't wait to go full bore, but that'll have to wait another 470 miles. Good luck to everyone waiting, waiting, waiting, for an '08. I guarntee you'it's worth the wait! l love it!

SRT²

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Congratulations neighbor!

Your new beast looks great! I am only a few WOT’s down the road in Baton Rouge. I will hopefully be the next one in Louisiana to get my new 08. I have a venom red vert coming from Bill at Woodhouse sometime soon. It is in “I” status now but I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will be in before Christmas.