08 Won't fill-up with gas

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a nice feature with $4+ gas, but it is a bit annoying if I wanna actually drive the car. The car simply won't fill up, the pump just stops (like it thinks it's full). I CAN get it to fill if I pull the pump lever up about 1/4", but it goes soooo slooooww, and is such a pain in my hand, that I can't make it more than 5 minutes or so, and I end up with about 4 gallons in.

This has been happening since day 1, but has gotten a lot worse. I have yet to fill up the car past 3/4 of a tank.

I did a search, it looks like I'm alone. Variables: Tried multiple gas stations, I have 3 of these, so I doubt it's stupid Viper user error. I have 560 miles.

Just got the Bellangers on, but I can't get more than 4 gallons in the car, so the fun factor simply isn't there yet (it seems faster, a bit louder too).

VENUM INJECTION

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the same prob. with my 2008 coupe. I finally just found a good angle so it would fill faster. If you find any other more official reason why it is weird let me know. At least we are not alone right?

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I've had this issue on and off with my 2004 and 2006 cars.

I have found that if I go directly to the gas station from home and the car is cool, it fills up much better than when it's hot. Cool days are also better.

Likely a vent issue of some sort as stated above.

I've also been told that some gas stations don't clean their filtration system frequently enough and this is a cause for the problem.

I have found through trial and error that some gas stations will allow me to fill my tank almost every time while some others are, well a pain to deal with as you state.

Maybe the Wizard or Daniel Lesser will know what's going on.

Good luck,

Dan

Need1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you try turning the gas pump 180 degrees? I had that problem with my Aston and had to pump it that way all the time, haven't had that issue with the '08 yet though...

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is most likely the station you are using, not the car. The Shell by my house is very finicky and clicks off the pump constantly, and I can never get more than 3/4 of a tank in the car there. Just about any other gas station works just fine though.

OP
OP
N

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I've gone directly to the gas station while cool (no choice really, as it's always out of gas). I've tried 3 different stations, so they could all the same problems... I will try the 180 degree bit (never tried that one, nor have I tried altering any angle, good idea) along with a 4th station, also will await Chuck's analysis.

I guess I'm not alone afterall... But its painful to have to fill up everytime I drive this, since I can't get past 2-3 gallons anymore...

ViperGal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it is so you fill up as often as you would have with the 06 so you feel right at home... nah... I do like and notice the better mileage though - weird!

OP
OP
N

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup, tried every angle and a new gas station (station #4). I spent 12 minutes filling up, and got about 3/4. A 90 degree left allowed me to get it to about 1/2" on the fill lever, so that improved filling time about about 20%. Joy... Chuck, please let us know!!!
Greg

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same problem on my 06' Coupe. Pull out the gas filler and just put the tip in far enough to hold it so it just catches enough to hold it in there. Then squeeze the trigger to the lowest setting, lock that setting (can in Colorado anyway) and let it pump full on the slowest setting.

It is a vent issue AND an angle issue. The splash back in the filler tube neck makes the pump handle think it is full. Not sure there is too much you can do about it. By doing this, you eliminate both issues. Pump slow allows for proper venting and change the filler handle angle as explained. Problem will go away.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have an 08 coming in next week with the SAME problem! A clogged vent sounds likely? I will let you all know what I find after I check it out. :cool:
Not sure if Dan has come across this yet?

Nope, I have not run into that yet here.

They should be extremely close to if not identical to the 03-06 cars, so it is unlikely it is a design change causing the issue. I would expect to see either a kinked/plugged filler hose, or the same cause occuring to a vent tube at the filler or evap canister area. Last, perhaps a sticky anti-liquid/rollover valve in the tank assembly.

I have noticed that this seems to be an issue primarily seen on the coupes, so it may be worth a look- it could be something as simple as a common assembly error that kinks the hoses in the coupes.

Either way, it shouldnt be too hard to figure out.

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny... I've had a few 1998's and one of them was the same way. It always gave me fits when trying to fill up. I know it's not a 08, but seems to be an issue with some Vipers and not others.

viperman303

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Coloviper found the solution. Just drove an 08 Very Orange from Wooodhouse to Montana 1167 (four fillups). When the fuel is going into a warm tank, have to pull the dispenser out of the filler neck just enuf for the fuel to flow. My motor home will do the same thing.

Kmrumedy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had this issue at the beggining of this season (1997 GTS). I posted the issue on the Gen 2 forum. I got this answer from Tom and it worked. I just changed gas stations. But you mentioned that you have tried this already. I posted on some other forums and got the same answer. You are not alone!

The nozzle at the station has a small hole at the tip. This is used to sense vapor and foam rising in the vehicle's filler tube. After the nozzle tip gets beat up enough from being put into gas tanks or returned to the pump, the hole is smaller and system is more sensitive to shutting off. It may all be a defective nozzle.

You can rotate the nozzle 90 degrees while you fill - sometimes that positions the hole more favorably. As mentioned above, a different pump or station is a very good suggestion.

VIPER 93

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Coloviper found the solution. Just drove an 08 Very Orange from Wooodhouse to Montana 1167 (four fillups). When the fuel is going into a warm tank, have to pull the dispenser out of the filler neck just enuf for the fuel to flow. My motor home will do the same thing.
Welcome to the orange club!

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder if this is an issue with the new pumps being developed. I had the same issue just recently at a shell station that had all new pumps. I couldn't get 10 cents of gas. I thought it was that pump. Went the next and had the same issue. Went to a station down the road and no problem. Maybe the new pumps are more sensitive than they used to be.

Luna C

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Interesting. I had the same problem the other day filling up. Ambient temp was about 82. Morning fill up @ Shell on the way to Dyno the car (Vert). Filled at that statio numerous times previously with no problem. Noticed the fuel gauge at about 7/8th after cutoff. Have about 2200 miles on the car, first time it has done that.

Gisler

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Had the same problem with my 04 SRT, colder day are better, but finally got it right, First open the lid and let it open for a couple of minutes, then put the filling thing in 180° turned around as deep as possible then it works just fine. The hotter it is, the longer you should wait until you start filling up.

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got home (UK) from Tators.. He asked for some assistance:lmao: here are the findings:omg::omg::omg:.....

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So that means that everyone that has the problem has a kink in the hose? That must be a factory problem?

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So that means that everyone that has the problem has a kink in the hose? That must be a factory problem?

It may be? You'll need to get the right rear wheel off and then take out the push-pins holding the inner fender well/skirt on and you will be looking right at it. If it is the same as what we found today you will need a new piece of 5/16 fuel hose 4" long.

Thanks Baz! How was your flight back over? I liked the color scheme on your new jet! :2tu:

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad you liked it Chuck....
Sorry it was only a flying visit i had to get back to pick Shelby up from Pre school.....

Those 08's look awsome.....

Joshua

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just wanted to post a quick note up here thanking Chuck and Rob at Tator's Dodge for fixing the fuel problem for me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery