09 ACR or Coupe

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After FINALLY selling my 08 Roadster iam ready to have Darren(BUHLER ) order me an 09 .The car will be drag raced ALOT but never roadraced. What do you think?With the money diff i can do full Ballangers ,gears and a PCM.

dtenney

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go for the Coupe and use the extra money for mods. ACR extras are not helpful in drag racing, in fact the wing creates drag you don't need and the Pilot Sport Cup tires wheelhop easily on launch. The aerorotors are just extra money when standard rotors will suffice and the KW suspension is not opitimized spring rate or damping for drag racing weight transfer.

Are you looking to move into a Coupe or did you just want a different color? Curious why you sold the 08. Because they are still plenty of 08's that can be had even cheaper than the 09's.
-David

Last edited:
OP
OP

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go for the Coupe and use the extra money for mods. ACR extras are not helpful in drag racing, in fact the wing creates drag you don't need and the Pilot Sport Cup tires wheelhop easily on launch. The aerorotors are just extra money when standard rotors will suffice and the KW suspension is not opitimized spring rate or damping for drag racing weight transfer.

Are you looking to move into a Coupe or did you just want a different color? Curious why you sold the 08. Because they are still plenty of 08's that can be had even cheaper than the 09's.
-David
The vert was nice but iam MUCH MUCH more of a coupe guy and DEFINATELY not VENOM RED The only reason i bought the VERT was the price.I paid 70 grand last June .The car had 55 miles on it when i bought it (which at the time was a great deal ).The summer ended,the market TANKED and i got tired of the color and roadster.

OP
OP

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to mention that the regular coupes are dirt cheap right now...
Darren Buhler has a few 08 Coupes left the problem is they are all Venom RED.I am thinking about the new graphite color with red stripes.

dtenney

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The vert was nice but iam MUCH MUCH more of a coupe guy and DEFINATELY not VENOM RED The only reason i bought the VERT was the price.I paid 70 grand last June .The car had 55 miles on it when i bought it (which at the time was a great deal ).The summer ended,the market TANKED and i got tired of the color and roadster.

That was a great price. I currently own an 09 ACR and I am considering buying an 08 coupe. I am wanting to build up a road course car that is not so limited production and frankly would like another Viper, but at a lower price tag. I am considering a Venom Red but prefer the SSG, of course there is a cost difference.

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad to hear you finally sold that pink elephant, lol, jk. I would buy
a coupe if your not looking to roadrace, plus the prices you can buy
one at are unreal in todays market. I would also look at used with
08's selling in the 60's . YOU KNOW THAT FOR YOURSELF. Goodluck
as I look forward to seeing your new viper.:2tu:

dtenney

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OP
OP

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad to hear you finally sold that pink elephant, lol, jk. I would buy
a coupe if your not looking to roadrace, plus the prices you can buy
one at are unreal in todays market. I would also look at used with
08's selling in the 60's . YOU KNOW THAT FOR YOURSELF. Goodluck
as I look forward to seeing your new viper.:2tu:
How are you?.No joke its just a TOUGH COLOR to move.Even priced THOUSANDS CHEAPER THAN comprable cars (mileage ,condition )it took MONTHS to sell it.(Every body i spoke to had the same reply =IF IT ONLY WASNT VENOM RED)This summer hopefully we can get together at the track as i will try to get involved with VCA NJ and promote drag racing at Englishtown like i did in the late 90s.

OP
OP

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ACR is so bad ass looking BUT in all actuality since iam not a roadracer i will not take advantage of any of the upgraded pieces on the car

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buying an ACR for "ALOT of drag racing and NEVER roadracing" is like buying an F-16 to do ALOT of taxiing up and down the runway and NEVER flown in the air. Everything that differentiates the ACR from the coupe was made specifically to extract the maximum performance on a roadcourse. Its aero mods would likely make it run down the strip slower.... Duh.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you plan on drag racing mostly, then I'd go coupe. Ever road raced before? If you have, you will find drag racing to be very boring by comparison. It pains me to say that also, because I'm a bigtime drag racing fan.

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you plan on drag racing mostly, then I'd go coupe. Ever road raced before? If you have, you will find drag racing to be very boring by comparison. It pains me to say that also, because I'm a bigtime drag racing fan.

LOL, a very true statement, however if you know how to drag race
I beg to differ with your statement. :drive::D

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ummmm...

ACR rotors and wheels are lighter than the standard coupe, and since the rotating mass is less, you are much better off from a drag racing point of view, not to mention you have coilovers to lower the car.

My idea would be to get an ACR, strip and sell all the aero equipment to someone who wants the original ACR stuff, and pocket the money. If it retails for $40k, and you sell it for $20k, you've just received a bunch of money for mods.

Stoptech Rotors ~$1,700
KW Suspension ~$3,100
ACR Bodywork ~$20,000
Sidewinders ~$3,100

The only risk I would see is that the warranty for the ACR is very easy to void, but if you are drag racing any Viper, I don't know how much that would matter.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you really wanna see an ACRs talents wasted on a dragstrip? He will have to strip all the aero off to get the best 1/4 times. He would be better to get a coupe and paint it the ACR scheme.

No of course not, and if drag racing was his focus then go coupe. But even if I had the opportunity to have an ACR, it would force me into the road racing scene. You just can't help it, right?:drive: :drive:

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ACR is currently holding its own price wise. If you do ever want to sell you should at least consider that. It might be a crime to not take the car the track for road racing festivals, but I am sure there are some ACRs that will never see a track at all.

Exactly how fast do you plan on going on the drag strip? ACR will only do 177 :D.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viperfuntime had it right, the VOI X coupe fits your needs just about perfectly.....and I'll bet you'll turn some phenomenal times.

Regards,
Aaron

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was also torn between the two when I was ready to buy. I'm at the drag strip more than the road course, even so, I'm on the street more than either. I really liked the mean stance and look of the two-tone/striped ACR's, they are very distinctive and will be a rare breed.

Jamie took his wing off his ACR and there was no improvement in the ET or trap speeds. Maybe the weight difference in the right places makes up for some of the drag within reason at drag racing speeds. The only real proven performance difference so far that the coupe has over the ACR is top speed, and I have no plans on going 200MPH.

You'll be flying after doing the headers/exhaust/ecu/gears, go for the ACR.... Even though it was $20k more than the coupe I was considering, I'm very glad I went for it.....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21