09 Viper or 09 Cayman S

hdscreens

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, GoRide if you still haven't truly driven a Viper let me give you a general idea of what it feels like. If you have been on a wooden roller coaster that is what a convertible Viper sounds and feels like. If you have been on a steel roller coaster that is what a coupe Viper sounds and feels like. Some of us are terrified of roller coasters and never,ever get on and some of us are terrified of roller coasters and continue to get on.

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I own a GT3 and an 08 Viper. I love both cars for different reasons. If I (read: me) had to pick only one...it would be the GT3. I love the smell, feel, sound, and pedigree of the Porsche. Also, driving really fast isnt as hard in the Porsche as it is in the Viper. Let me explain. In the Viper, when your doing 100 mph it sounds and feels like 150 MPH. In the Porsche, at 100 MPH your adjusting the AC and stereo and yawning. My opinions only.

Flash

wow yawning at 100mph. Sounds like its a boring ride to me. 100mph in a Viper is nothing but big smiles and adrenaline... knowing your only half way to top speed. :2tu:

My thoughts are Porsches are lame. There are so many of them on the road there really isnt anything special about them.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now I will state that I love Porsche for certain models. I mean the wife and I have a couple of Cayenne Turbos for daily driving, and out of all the daily drivers we have ever had, they are by far and away the best over Range Rovers, Fords, Jeeps, etc.. For everyday use, I could not picture us in anything else as they are very smooth, very well built and just rock solid in quality.

Now stating that, I do have to say that I took a very, very serious look at the new 911s (base up to Turbo and the GT series), the Cayman, the Boxster, etc. and I have to say that I was thouroughly disappointed in the Porsche cars. Cheap and just Mickey Mouse style of car. There was no real luxury and the quality for the price, just was not there at all. I can honestly say that I will not be owning a Porsche car anytime soon, with the exception of the new Panamerica. I am intrigued with that car and will take a serious look once one of our Cayenne's comes of warranty. even then though, I am looking at the luxury aspect, not the pure performance aspects.

In my mind, you are looking at two totally different vehicles and if you are looking for a daily driver, one that does not pound the hell out of your kidneys, etc. you are not looking at either car. Daily drivers are meant to be smooth, soft riding with decent gas mileage. Want a good daily driver, then buy a Lexus or an Infinity or an Audi. You will not regret it. Hell even a Lincoln MKX SUV is a very well built vehicle.

As far as Porsche cars, I honestly don't see why anyone buys any of them 911 or Boxster varients. The Cayennes I can fully understand having owned two for some time now, and been very impressed but the cars are cheap and gimicky for the cost. Honestly, ranking up there with some of the worst vehicles out there when comparing cost versus what you really get.

Anyway, like others, it is just my opinion and I do understand it is rather harsh, but after being blown away with the Cayennes we have, I have to say that I was extremely let down by the Porsche cars when I started to look at them.

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just went and built a fully loaded Cayman S.
Cayman S starting price= $60,200.00
Add for all available options= $65,485.00
Grand total for a fully loaded Cayman S= $125,685.00
Look on the suckers face when he realizes what he just bought for $125k= Priceless

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Absolutely!!!:2tu::usa:

I won't even let me employees park their foreign cars in front of the shop. But I'm an extremist...

Do you live in America?
Do you work in America?
Buy American:usa:
Then You can join the best damn car club in America:headbang:

Comparing the differences between a Cayman and a Viper is like comparing beer drinkers to a wine connoisseurs - IMO

One will kick your a$$ and the other will con you out of large sums of money selling you the "lifestyle", not the product.

No offense to you wine connoisseurs.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Absolutely!!!:2tu::usa:

I won't even let me employees park their foreign cars in front of the shop. But I'm an extremist...

Comparing the differences between a Cayman and a Viper is like comparing beer drinkers to a wine connoisseurs - IMO

One will kick your a$$ and the other will con you out of large sums of money selling you the "lifestyle", not the product.

No offense to you wine connoisseurs.

:usa:
:tx: beer is the wine of canned beverages :2tu:
:usa:

cheryl mccally

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have both a Cayman S and 2009 ACR. I have driven both at the track a lot and on the street a lot. I've also driven a lot in a 911 Turbo. The cars are too different to compare IMO. Both are great cars, the Porsche and the Viper, but I love the way the Viper pulls like a freight train at WOT. The Cayman S is my husbands and he loves it, the ACR is mine and I love it. I've had 4 Vipers and all have been daily drivers. I love my Viper too much to leave it at home unless it's raining. The Viper is very civil in the rain but I spend too many hours cleaning to let it get that dirty. The Viper is the most fun car to drive I've ever imagined. We have had or driven all the Exotic Sports Cars and I still love the Viper. I don't know what we will all do if they quit making our Snakes!

SSG CHIC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
These are the 2 definitive words that answer your question.

Seriously, you need to do a quick chromosome check. ;)

Come on now, boys! This chic drives a viper. I should probably check my chromosomes:D If it's not a viper, it might as well be a station wagon with the baby-on-board sticker in the window.

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now I will state that I love Porsche for certain models. I mean the wife and I have a couple of Cayenne Turbos for daily driving, and out of all the daily drivers we have ever had, they are by far and away the best over Range Rovers, Fords, Jeeps, etc.. For everyday use, I could not picture us in anything else as they are very smooth, very well built and just rock solid in quality.

Now stating that, I do have to say that I took a very, very serious look at the new 911s (base up to Turbo and the GT series), the Cayman, the Boxster, etc. and I have to say that I was thouroughly disappointed in the Porsche cars. Cheap and just Mickey Mouse style of car. There was no real luxury and the quality for the price, just was not there at all. I can honestly say that I will not be owning a Porsche car anytime soon, with the exception of the new Panamerica. I am intrigued with that car and will take a serious look once one of our Cayenne's comes of warranty. even then though, I am looking at the luxury aspect, not the pure performance aspects.

In my mind, you are looking at two totally different vehicles and if you are looking for a daily driver, one that does not pound the hell out of your kidneys, etc. you are not looking at either car. Daily drivers are meant to be smooth, soft riding with decent gas mileage. Want a good daily driver, then buy a Lexus or an Infinity or an Audi. You will not regret it. Hell even a Lincoln MKX SUV is a very well built vehicle.

As far as Porsche cars, I honestly don't see why anyone buys any of them 911 or Boxster varients. The Cayennes I can fully understand having owned two for some time now, and been very impressed but the cars are cheap and gimicky for the cost. Honestly, ranking up there with some of the worst vehicles out there when comparing cost versus what you really get.

Anyway, like others, it is just my opinion and I do understand it is rather harsh, but after being blown away with the Cayennes we have, I have to say that I was extremely let down by the Porsche cars when I started to look at them.

I can understand why you like the Cayenne, yet dislike other Porsche cars. The Cayenne is an overpriced, badge-engineered, Volkswagen Touareg.
You're not a Porsche fan, you like Vdubs.:D

Sandy G

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Viper gives me my fix! I am getting a SRT8 delivered from Bill P. at Woodhouse at 7 am this morning. Looking forward to a fun daily driver. Both for what you are going to spend.............

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Come on now, boys! This chic drives a viper. I should probably check my chromosomes:D If it's not a viper, it might as well be a station wagon with the baby-on-board sticker in the window.

You are absolutely correct. My apologies.

Is there a specific chromosome for "wimpy"?

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brad;

Well, your comments would bother me, but you are from Fort Mac. That says all I need to know.

Seriously, though I owned a Jeep SRT8 for about 14 months and have to say that it was the biggest piece of crap I have owned to date. The motor was great, the tranny and remaining driveline was very poor. Interior quality, etc. was just NOT there. 1/2 the price new or not, the SRT8 is not worth the money. Sorry, but very real world experience on that one.

I think my post was pretty clear. Obviously you have never driven a Cayenne otherwise you would not just fall back on your lame VW statement. VW built or whatever, it is an absolutely great vehicle to drive and has held up great all the years we have owned them. After 14 months my SRT8 was falling apart as the rear shock towers broke off the rear housing twice. truck has never seen off road and Jeep was going to deny me warranty on that. Just junk! Bought both of the Cayennes used, for about 15K more than a new SRT8. Well worth the money. Would I buy new for MRSP, never, but used it was one hell of a deal.

Now I am not a VW lover but can tip my hat to good engineering. Pretty sure the Veyron has some VWness in it and that doesn't seem to bother anyone dumping down that kind of coin.

I still stand buy what I said before. The Porsche cars are not worth it and the Cayenne is a diamond in the ruff for that manufacturer. If you ever get out of Fort Mac and into civilization like into Edmonton or Calgary, actually drive some of these vehicles instead of reading about them in your favorite rag. There is a big difference :).

I can give you kudos on the Viper and Hummer (H1 old school) but hows that Mitsubishi Stealth holding out for ya? Really, proud of a Mitsubishi?

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Coloviper,
I wonder if you just got a lemon (with the Jeep SRT). I've had mine for 4 months and have almost 16k miles on it (12k miles in the first 2 months). I use my Jeep as a work truck and take it off pavement almost every day. I work on cell sites. It's been thru NY winter (Kingston area ski resorts), East coast rain, OK red mud, AR mountains and south TX rocks& hills. I drive it like I stole it everywhere. I have every option but the satellite TV and to date the only issue I have had it the My-Gig head unit wigged out and Nav stopped working after 9k miles (about 6 weeks). They swapped it no questions asked. I maintain it exactly as the SRT-8 portion of the owner's manual states. I'm curious how many miles you put on it in 14 months. I should have 50-60k on it by the end of the year.

I'd put money on the Cayenne "falling apart" under the same use I put the Jeep thru. Next time you drive past a cell site/tower, look at the road that leads to it - then consider if you would take the Cayenne up it.

I will completely agree that the Cayenne is 4 times nicer on the inside than the Jeep. Of course we are probably operating in radically different environments. When I worked for national cellular service providers the Jeep Cherokee, then Grand Cherokee when they discontinued the Cherokee, was one of 3 vehicles we used for cell techs (Ford Exploder & Chevy Trailbreaker) were the other 2 "normal" options. The Jeeps had better reliability (less annual maint costs), and almost never got stuck (Exploder was 2nd & Chevy was 3rd and HORRIBLE off road). We're talking national fleets over 1000 of each.

I really think you had a lemon. If you really like the prestige of the Cayenne - the Jeep is NO comparison. Most folks, especially in the south have never seen an SRT Jeep let alone even know what it is.

Point: the Jeep SRT works very well in my environment driving to and from my many places of work ;) But like on most things, I'm the exception to the rule. Not poking at you, just sticking up for the Jeep a bit, although we don't know each other, I'm about 90% certain that your Cayennes have never seen & never will see the use my Jeep has.

Now there's always the end of the year with another 45k+ miles on the clock I may be singing a different tune...There's always karma.

OP
OP
G

GoRide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what happened to GoRide (thread author)? I think he got a headache.

Hehe, i'm right here man, there is a lot of good info and passion on this thread. Which is all good cause i made my decision on the Viper. I'm leaving in 30 mins to the auto show in Richmond to see what's going on. :drive::usa::headbang:

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now the challenge:
Getting a color scheme no one else has :)

Have fun!

Hehe, i'm right here man, there is a lot of good info and passion on this thread. Which is all good cause i made my decision on the Viper. I'm leaving in 30 mins to the auto show in Richmond to see what's going on. :drive::usa::headbang:

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fastzilla;

I could have had a lemon. It was an 07' but I had a lot of problems with it, right from day one. I looked so forward to that SRT8 Jeep and I put on 28K miles in those 14 months and drove it in and on all sorts of conditions. It just did not hold up. Everything rattled at the end, the rear shock broke off twice and after the second time Jeep thought I was offroading it and was going to refuse warranty on it further. I bought a 7 yr, 100K, $0 deductible warranty with the truck new. It didn't have a scratch on it, hence anyone could see it was well taken care of.

The power plant was great, (very ******* fuel, but great. The truck desperately needed a 6th gear in the tranny as it reved way too high at highways speeds) but the rest of the vehicle was not up to par. The paint did not even cover the body in the door frames as you could see primer all the way through the door frames but Jeep would not paint that part in the door frames, though they acknowledged it was primer and had next to no paint in the jambs. Weird and I was not goign to live long term with that kind of protection! Sorry I have owned all kinds of Jeeps over the years from J-20s to Cherokees to Grands to Laredos. The 07' Jeep SRT8 I had was by far the worse one. Beautiful to look at, but just did not hold up.

The Caynennes, we take everywhere. If going off road we put the 18" rims on, same as winter. Summer it is mainly the 20s. I have bounced the things on old logging/mining roads, etc. all over the state of Colorado and they have been rock solid still with very little creaks. The Jeep did not fair as well. It did see gravel roads and not the off-road nature the Cayenne's do.

I could just be lucky, but we have put over 45K miles on the 04 Turbo and I have put on 21K miles on my 05 Turbo X.50. It now has 52K miles. I think major probelms would have shown up already.,

Anyway I will acknowledge that it could have been a lemon, but after waiting and buy new, it was very, very disappointing experience. The Cayennes don't get babied here, but then again they are not being off-roaded all the time either.

I have been lucky with the Cayenne's too as I had a total lemon of an 03 Cayenne S. That thing was a real piece and we had a lot of problems, electrical and mechanical with that truck. The Turbo seems to be built much differently and I have not had a single problem in all those miles.