160 Degree Thermostat?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think there would be much advantage to 160 thermostat.

If you want to run cooler then you need to install a larger radiator.

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you think that a 160 thermostat will do?

A thermostat purpose is NOT to lower the max temperature of the engine but to control the MINIMUM temperature of the engine.

So the problem that you are trying to solve with a 160 thermostat, is that your engine run too hot when it'cold?

i am not trying to be funny here, but too many peoples believe that the thermostat rating control the max.temperature of the engine or that a lower rated thermostat will lower it.

What control the max temperature is the BTU (British Termal Unit)
capacity of the cooling system.

If you add air flow or a bigger/better radiator or sometime a more efficient water pump,you increase the BTU capacity and consequently the system can remove more heat and the car run cooler.

The reason that some tuners or after market performance kit or "chips" tell you to use a lower rated thermostat, have nothing to do with max temperature but is a way to richen the A/F (air/fuel) ratio at low to moderate engine temperature since the engine computer will read the coolant temp and a "colder" engine need more fuel than a "hotter" engine.

Luc.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sheyster:
I know there is a 180 degree stat. Is a 160 degree stat. available and from who? Thanks in advance. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry for the late reply!

After several talks w/ Team V and tuners and end-users, a 160o is not a good idea. Luc 'splained some of the reasons, but the simple answer is:

The coolant DUMPS too often, and never has time to absorb enough heat from the motor, making the radiator exchange rate less efficient. So, the motor could even run warmer w/ a 160 ! Not Broke? Don't Fix !