18" fronts/17" rears????

MULE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
18\" fronts/17\" rears????

Larger front wheels makes for a quiker steer, not much front tire roll. But the back tires you want more tire hight for more grip comming out of a turn. On the Vipers you have so much tork that is is easy to brake the rear tires loose.

The above is from someone selling 18" front wheels. I have never heard of this, so what do you road racers think. I would think if the rear tire needs more revolutions the easier it would be lose the rear, but hey I'm a rookie. What do you experienced think?

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: 18

The biggest advantage I can think of is being able to run 14" rotors. I would jump on 18" wheels in the 1996-1998 style in a minute. I don't really like the stock 18" and the aftermarkets are not better looking enough for me to justify the cost.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This is the combo I ran on my '00 RT/10 with Hoosier R3S03 tires. I ran a 305 front tire on an 18 x 12 rim, this makes the car turn better and I had the full Stoptech Big Brake system, you need the 18s up front to fit the 14.2" rotors. The reason for 17 x 13 rears (with a 335 tire) was a better "slip angle", actually 16" would work better but then you're locked into Goodyears on the rear.

OP
OP
M

MULE

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Socal Rebell?????
Do you post on the NASA forums? I believe the Socal Rebell on NASA drives a Viper. Viperize on the NASA forum is selling these wheels. They are Purner wheels. I checked out the clearance on my car, and since I put the Eibachs on I don't think I can fit 18s. Viperize is from Murrieta,CA, maybe you know him?

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mule,
I am the one that inquired on these rims, and no Doubt SoCal is one in the same, NASA and here. Do you run any events in NASA???

Isnt Murrieta in Georgia?

OP
OP
M

MULE

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I bought my car last fall, started running with NASA through a friend this spring. So far, Mid-Ohio, Beaverun, Gingerman. I will be going back to Beaverun in Sept and that will be the last event of the year for me. I warped my front rotor at Gingerman a couple of weeks ago (see my thread on help with calipers any help would be appreciated).
I am in the process of installing slotted rotors. I think the closest track to Virginia would be Summit Point? My region runs there I think twice a year. I didn't make the trip this year, maybe next year.

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Virginia would be VIR, one heck of a track.
Summitt Point is in WV, but is the same drive for me (approx 4 hours).

What class do you run in NASA? Vette/Viper, or that VXXX class (dont remember what the ***'x are)

OP
OP
M

MULE

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Are you kidding, I just started and don't have a competition license yet. I run HPDE 2. When I do get my license I plan on running VVC, and the good thing is I am the only Vette or Viper in our region. There was a guy named Frank who ran at Mid-Ohio in a '95 "full race" Viper, but I haven't seen him since. The bad thing is I will be getting my butt kicked by Mustangs running AIX for a while. I met and spoke to Steve Dreyer of Autoform at Gingerman a couple of weeks ago. He said he was scouting the NASA series as a possible league to try and bring some Vipers into since the VRL was dwindling due to the production of the Comp Coupe. He had some interesting stuff to say, but I told him that Vipers are so expensive to prep for 'serious' tracking that one is better off just buying the Comp Coupe already set up. I don't think he liked the fact that all race groups were on the track at the same time, but I think if there were enough cars (like more vettes and vipers) NASA would split the groups accordingly. Oh well, I'm just having a lot of fun for now.

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If you ever plan on hitting Summit or VIR, let me know, would like to run a HPDE there sometime...have done the VRL, tracktime, carguys thing there. Never done a NASA event yet. Just got my comp license approval couple months ago (havent sent it in tho).

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hi Mule, yes I am the same "SoCal Rebell" as on the NASA forum as well as many other boards. I got hooked up with them when I ran the Open Track Challenge sanctioned by SoCal NASA. I do believe you can run an 18" up front even in a lowered car, the diameter is the same as a 17" just a little less sidewall. I've run 335/18s up front on a Gen 2. If interested a buddy of mine is selling a 4 wheel set of Purners, 2-18 x 12s & 2-17 x 13s, good price at $1,500 + shipping. Please advise if interested and I will forward you his email.