1996 B&W GTS seen by Newbie !!!! What do you guys think????

ultradriver10000

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Seriously? Who the hell changes brake/clutch fluid haha. Change you're pads and rotors as needed, change the hoses if and when they burst, change the oil ($50), check the coolant (change if required $50), maybe down the road change the rear end and tranny fluid, but my guess is that they are fine.

My old 97 Silverado's rear end and tranny fluid was never changed, ran great when I sold it at 325K.

AJ02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brake and clutch fluid attracts moisture over time and you don't want that in the system! In fact, all oil will to a degree. When it heats up and then cools down, there is a small amount of condensation. As far as the heater core---I changed mine and had the car back on the road in less than half a day. Not near as much of a job as it was in my 77 Vette.

RevHeat

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would not touch that car. Vipers were made to be driven, not to sit around for 15 years. I would not buy a 1996 GTS that had under 20k at this point in time unless you plan to make it a musem piece.

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No it's just common sense.

I have got 14000 miles on my 96 and Its in perfect condition. I Keep it in a humidity and Temperature controlled garage and drive it about 50 miles a year to keep the fluids and what not moving on the car. I also polish and wax it every year. I think the environment it is kept in and the amount of use to keep the internals ie..rubber,gaskets,seals,etc,,,is an important point to consider when making such an assumption as Revheat did above. I understand if a car is kept in a cold damp area and never driven or moved what so ever and not taken care of in that sense,then,yes I would be hesitant as well.

harley56

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Obviously different opinions, many based on one's own experience. Me, my '96 has 3,000 miles on it, when I fire it up and drive it there are zero problems. Same with my '98 GT2 that had 1,001 miles when I sold it. Zero problems in 8 years of ownership.

Before haters say they are made to be driven, I just plain am too tall for the car, legs too long, and it is not comfortable to drive. No fun taking off my shoe to put foot behind clutch and still having knee between 9 o'clock on the steering wheel and the door panel.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Personally the car sitting for a while doesn't bother me, nor
does the minor repairs. What catches my attention is the $33k
asking price with these issues - I've seen well maintained 96's
go for less. Do some shopping, you may find a better deal out
there.