1996 GTS - need more power, any suggestions?

Zrxpilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This has been an interesting thread to read in its entirety. Id have to believe that the concept of improving performance applies equally to someone trying to restore it. Ive got a neglected viper with 40,000 plus on it that I am trying to bring to a state of improved stock that could be driven daily if desired. 97 Gts. My first of something at all like this.

Been having a few surprises but nothing big so far. Freshening the brakes, tires, nice new tranny in it, lw flywheel, new clutch, rotors, brakes. Working my way from the bottom up. Thinking of tracking it maybe next summer. Direction of doing something like this on a budget is a little harder to come by. Think ive done a fair job so far. Got lots of time.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This has been an interesting thread to read in its entirety. Id have to believe that the concept of improving performance applies equally to someone trying to restore it. Ive got a neglected viper with 40,000 plus on it that I am trying to bring to a state of improved stock that could be driven daily if desired. 97 Gts. My first of something at all like this.

Been having a few surprises but nothing big so far. Freshening the brakes, tires, nice new tranny in it, lw flywheel, new clutch, rotors, brakes. Working my way from the bottom up. Thinking of tracking it maybe next summer. Direction of doing something like this on a budget is a little harder to come by. Think ive done a fair job so far. Got lots of time.

I'm expecting at lest 100K miles from my viper. I have a 10# Roe supercharger with large hp numbers and the car is capable of running mid 10s on pump gas with no special tires prep etc. I have 42,000mi on it now. The stock clutch was replaced at 20K but stock tranny, diff, etc. Rear axles were upgraded to 1,000hp replacements. Upgraded to 14" lightweight front brakes and lighweight rear calipers with EBC Ceramic pads. LOL, preventative maintenance. Car is in new condition ... except better.

Ted

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You basically have to decided for the most part what power level your budget will let you attain .As you can see (reading thru this thread )once you start with the various degrees (quality wise )of upgraded parts it can get expensive.Another factor is reliability once you start (modding other than simple bolt ons )the reliability can go down dramatically depending up what mods are done,who did them,who tuned the car and how your using the car .

Zrxpilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At this stage in the game the car is allready a handfull in relation to my level of experience. I would really like to avoid wrecking it.

I wish to achieve a state of tune, handling and reliability equal to or somewhat greater than oem specs. I believe that in many cases simply upgrading to newer generation components can greatly assist in achieving this goal. Knowing the weak links is my challenge. Admittedly I am going into this totally blind but my short term goal is to safely achieve the potential to hit 165 on a long course with nothing ugly happening.

So far its sitting on older ccw 335 18's all around with fresh kdw'2's. Tubular exhaust with a fresh ceramic coating, no cats, Borla all the way back from there. New trans and engine mounts, cr molly flywheel, k&n filter, fresh plugs and wires, new fluids, Eibach springs, SS brake lines, fresh rotors and pads and now going thru the front calipers (I think I can do this myself?). Ive been considering doing the 3:55 swap yet this winter but wondering if it will be a step backwards if it ever sees the track.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check out the thread (SRT FORUM )under -MY NEW LINGENFELDER MOTOR.Aries lists his build sheet for his new engine which is quite impressive .

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950