1996 Indy 500 Video

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone know of a source to get a copy of the 1996 Indy 500 on video or DVD? Indy Museum Gift shop says they have last year and highlights of 50's and 60's. They have no source for 1996.

Anyone out there with a VHS copy?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Anyone know of a source to get a copy of the 1996 Indy 500 on video or DVD? Indy Museum Gift shop says they have last year and highlights of 50's and 60's. They have no source for 1996. Anyone out there with a VHS copy?

I have a TON of Viper Pace Car memorabilia, inclding a home-made VHS (somewhere) of that rain-marred televised race. I have license plates, pins, drivers-suit patches, decals, press-packages, dealer bags and more. Boxes full.

Call me if you are patient, and prepared to wrest anything above from my hoarding fingers

OP
OP
S

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe because of the Viper GTS that was the pace car for that race? It could help that he has a B/W GTS himself.

You got it! I always heard the original 96 GTS pace car had a hole cut through the top. I was wondering if you could see that. Watching Indy in 96 was what made me want to own a 96 GTS. Only 12 years later, I got one.

OP
OP
S

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a TON of Viper Pace Car memorabilia, inclding a home-made VHS (somewhere) of that rain-marred televised race. I have license plates, pins, drivers-suit patches, decals, press-packages, dealer bags and more. Boxes full.

Call me if you are patient, and prepared to wrest anything above from my hoarding fingers

I already bought the Indy decals from you and got the keychain, patches, pins etc.

I might need a licence frame and the windshield banner if you have those.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You got it! I always heard the original 96 GTS pace car had a hole cut through the top. I was wondering if you could see that. Watching Indy in 96 was what made me want to own a 96 GTS. Only 12 years later, I got one.

The actual pace car did have a sunroof.

I have pictures of it that I took during qualifying and the race. (but they are in a box somewhere in my basement)

I also fell deep in lust for the GTS that weekend. :2tu:

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
he is a pic of me after being driven around the track by Lynn St.James(female Indy driver) in the pace car

pace.jpg

OP
OP
S

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The actual pace car did have a sunroof.

I have pictures of it that I took during qualifying and the race. (but they are in a box somewhere in my basement)

I also fell deep in lust for the GTS that weekend. :2tu:

Any idea why they cut the hole in the roof? No camera mounts or anything of that like apparent on the race day video. Must have been really far back on the top as the front half is pretty clear in some of the pics. Must have been a good reason to take a sawzall to a perfectly good car.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
actually the hole(sunroof) was mostly in the middle and was done for photography purposes. there were two(2) GTS's that were there for pace car purposes the actual car that paced the race was the only one with the sunroof. this car now resides in CAAP, the othere was there as a spare incase of some sort of malfuntion.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chad, you are just missing a hot blonde in the picture. I am a bit disappointed.

Rev

Don't be so jaded. That is history you're looking at. Not the car, but the fact I posted a photo of me and a Viper and you can actually see the Viper :D Juli would be proud :rolaugh:

(off the record, a hot blonde really would've improved the photo, but I don't think CAAP would've gone for the "can she sit on the hood?" question :lmao:)

OP
OP
S

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a pic of me sitting in the car at CAAP (while making engine noises :D ) You can see the sunroof is slid back in this pic

You must be registered for see images attach

Great picture. You could probably pick up twice as many ****** girls with a GTS with a sunroof! LOL

OP
OP
S

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder if they did this just to get some flow through ventilation so Mr. Lutz did not expire during his pace car duties. I read that they normally remove the A/C from pace cars for some reason (condensation drips on the track?).

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The removable roof panel was OUT during the race. The open roof port is required for the USAC-IRL observer (also called "The Hand" in pace-car lingo) as well as race control video feed. MOST PACE CARS in IRL, CART, NASCAR, etc are T-tops, Verts, or *******. If radios FAIL the only comm to the polesitters or point-bys is VERBAL and HAND GESTURES.

There were 2 "outfitted" GTS Pace Cars, one still at Indy and one at CAAP. There were 2 OTHER NORMAL GTSs there that day for PR, as well as "Official Vehicles and Trucks 80 INDY RAMS, 30 Stratus and 5 StealthTTs. These Dodges had E-crew, parade and princess and VIP duties... all paid by Dodge.

I think you CAN buy a 1996 Race Program with nice story and photos

I was able to sit with Bob Lutz and OPC Pace/Race driver Johnny Rutherford (4-time winner?) at dinner before the race......At that time, retired JR was responsible for the Pace car crew and training. They BOTH autographed my PACECAR license plate ! I was hyperventellatin!!!! I also won a Dodge contest that earned me a ride in that OPC with Bob Lutz. About 25% of VOI attendees got to do a couple paced laps at IMS before or after the race. QUITE A SIGHT I will never forget....

ps.... note my AVTAR please<<<<<< Thanks to Biggie

Last edited:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I wonder if they did this just to get some flow through ventilation so Mr. Lutz did not expire during his pace car duties. I read that they normally remove the A/C from pace cars for some reason (condensation drips on the track?).

Lutz comfort? LOL !! He still crams his USMC 6'2" frame into his Copter and his 2-seat fighter and does not get ill.........not to mention his ZR1 and Soltice! back in 1996 he could have done it with the HEATER ON

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte