1998 viper rt/10 pcm questions/wiring diagram

NSviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hello, my dad's just getting his car ready for the summer here in NS. and when he started the car today, he noticed the battery was charging up to 16v on the volt meter, and then noticed that the pcm/powerd distrubution box was getting very warm, the car cut out on him, and he had to boost it to get it to run again. my question is, are there any ideas of what could cause this? from my knowladge i have of electronics and the charging system, i am thinking that it could be the EVR (electronic voltage regulator) in the PCM causing it to over charge and shut off. if anyone has any other ideas, suggestions would be greatly appreachiated. Also if anyone knows where to get a wiring diagram/schematic for the PCM i would love to take a look at it to see if i can narrow down the problem a little better. Thanks.

BLK04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The battery condition is what controls the rate of charge by the pcm , normal charge rates run from 13.7 to 14.9 volts . I would say your battery is bad or discharged going by the 16volt reference (not sure how accurate factory guages are ) either charge or replace the battery & I am guessing your problem will go away.....if recharging , use a battery charger, the alternator is not designed to charge a dead battery ,only maintain the charge .
Say hello to your dad for me, we met in Moncton last summer @ the Atlantic Nationals & he let my son sit in the ACR ( guess my 04 vert isn't up to ***** )
Hope this helps

OP
OP
N

NSviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi, I remember you Brent ? and your son. Glad to see you on the Forum. Thank you for your advice. I did replace the battery, and the gauge stayed at around the 14 volt mark for a while, then went up to the 16 volt mark on the guage. On a different note, Rick and I are going to see if we can put some cruises together,maybe even get to run on a private runway. If you are interested let me know and I will keep you updated. There may be a few of us go up to the speed show in Moncton at the beginning of April.... if the weather is good.
Cheers, Shaun

BLK04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Shaun
Keep me in the loop for sure , Ryan still has the grin on his face from sitting in the ACR ..must have something to do with being King of the Ring , not many now 16 year olds can say that....see ya in the spring,Brent