1999 Vs. 2000 performance question-

Daddy Long Stroke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, I know the 96-99's have forged pistons, and the 2000-200?'s have cast pistons(Not sure on the SRT-10'S).

Is that the only difference in internals?

If I plan to supercharge or low-budget twin turbo (low budget being the $10,000 systems that will soon be offered) and want the RWHP to be in the 600-750 range, how important do the cast-vs. forged piston role play in your opinion? I have my eye on a 2000, but not ready to go internal yet. That can get expensive. Should I be looking exclusively for a 1999 (or older) GTS?

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
boost, you should do forged..

NA, either one will work great, with a slight advantage to the 1999 for the 708 cam.

If you do 2000, you might as well do 2001 and at least get ABS out of the deal. 2000 in my opinion is the least desirable of all Gen II years, it doesnt have forged, and it doesnt have ABS.

Jon

OP
OP
D

Daddy Long Stroke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2003 up SRT-10's, forged or cast pistons?
I'm still deciding on which car to get (gen 2 or 3). Very tough decision!

OP
OP
D

Daddy Long Stroke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Cast pistons. I just dont get it. Not in a Viper. I believe I read somewhere on one of the boards that someone was making 700+ rwhp with the stock cast pistons, but man can that get expensive if the tune isn't just right. Fixing broken engines is not so fun.

Oh well, may make my decision a little easier!

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Keep the boost at Paxton "stock" levels, i.e. max 7 to 8 psi and have the car professionally tuned and you shouldn't have a problem with the Paxton on an SRT-10 or a Gen II with Cast pistons.

I have over 6000 miles on mine and no issues .... yet. Doesn't burn oil. Gets reasonalbe mileage, 13 around town, 18 on the road. Very driveable. Lots of power.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Although mostly ignored by enthusiasts. The pistons are actually hypereutectic (high silicone content) which makes them stronger than standard cast pistons. Also notable is that these pistons are lighter and use a longer rod than 99 and earlier cars. The longer rod is probably the reason the pistons seem less durable, as the ring package is closer to the top of the piston. In a mid performance naturally aspirated car this is actually the preferred set up. Most will disagree since thats what their buddy said. Forged pistons are great because they allow some room for tuning mistakes and the occasional tank of bad gas.

OP
OP
D

Daddy Long Stroke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper X- which car do you like better stock for stock? Is the SRT-10 a much better car? or "more refined"? If you had to have just one, which would you lean towards? This question goes out to any who have had or driven both gen 2 and 3-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kodiakleather