1st Car Shows Enjoyable and Disappointing

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This weekend I had the opportunity to participate in my first car shows with the Viper.

The first show was on Saturday. About 250 cars participating. A few Vettes, mostly antique cars and '70s/80's cars. (Considered "classics" I guess), and I'm the only Viper. In fact,the conversation usually goes something like, "Yeah, we had a viper her a few years ago." Something like that. Well fine. It was a beautiful day and the judging of the cars was going to be done by a hired judge. So I'm thinking it will be great. Car people know the Viper and I should do well. It was a plesent day and lots of people came by to talk about the car and enjoy it. Then the judging comes and the winners in our class were a couple of IROC-Zs. I going, "***, are you kidding me?" Oh well, so what.

Today was a bigger show. Over 500 cars and the participants judged. The weather was not as nice as the sky was cloudy all day and we even got a few sprinkles about noon. The audience flocked around my car. It was non-stop all day with lots of people crowding around the Viper asking questions and taking pictures. Definatly the most popular car in our area of the show. Once again did'nt even place in the judging.

Right now I'm thinking these were my first and probably last car shows. Maybe I'm just a little disillusioned right now. I enjoyed showing the car to the public and everyone that came by was really excited to see a real Viper. But the judging thing just ****** me off too much.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you bought a Viper for car shows sorry about the judges. Please place a picture of your viper in this thread. Also your shipping address we will get you the trophy that you deserve.

propsail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went to an ALL mopar show, and was put in the "special interest'" catagory ***!
I was the only car in that group, so I won 1st place....lol

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
first of all, go to a car show to enjoy the day and spend time with people and friends you will eventually meet. nothing more. car shows are more enjoyable that way.

a viper is a great car, and you already saw that through the publics reaction. i see it too with my car at shows. HOWEVER, just owning a viper doesnt automatically move you to first place in your class. i have been to many shows where (whatever) was a nicer car than mine and it deserved to place better. it happens. everything considered - was the IROC nicer than your car?

other lessons learned:

be prepared to get snubbed sometimes because you are perceived as a "rich guy".

small town shows sometimes favor "their own".

people sometimes show a greater appreciation for the older cars and all the work that was put into them, over a car they think was simply bought. if you are in a "MOPAR" class, you will lose to the old stuff almost everytime.

if you go to a "top (#) show, hope a large car club doesnt show up. they like to vote for each other.

oh, and dont go to corvette club-sponsored shows with a viper. :rolaugh:

seriously, go to shows to have fun. these shows are never perfect. if i win something, (like today in my fire chief car), great.

IMG_8107.jpg

if not, i spent the day relaxing, had a nice lunch, helped raise money for a good cause, and spent the day with friends.

Last edited:

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper is too intimidating by itself for the Judge's! You need to go with a few other Vipers buddies! :hug: Also next time, when the Judge comes over, palm him a portrait of the 18th President! :D

Don't give up yet, car shows can be a lot of fun! :cool:

OP
OP
S

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you bought a Viper for car shows sorry about the judges.
I didn't. Just thought I'd try it and was a bit suprised by the culture. The rest of your comments don't deserve a response.

first of all, go to a car show to enjoy the day and spend time with people and friends you will eventually meet
I did do that. Thank you, that's sound advice.

a viper is a great car, and you already saw that through the publics reaction.
good point.

HOWEVER, just owning a viper doesnt automatically move you to first place in your class.
Of course I understand this.

was the IROC nicer than your car?
I don't believe so. But that's just my opinion. :)

Thank you for all the rest of your advice as well big-n-italian.

Don't give up yet, car shows can be a lot of fun!
Well, it was enjoyable overall. A nice way to spend a day. And the public was super.

Thanks for your comments.

RobZ

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well it sounds like you know how to approach future shows. Keep going to them when time permits and if you win an award that's just a nice bonus.

Rob

Wedge500

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the nicest car in a class does not always win. I have been going to Car Shows for many years and as mentioned above its all about who you know. People will always vote for their friends, not necessarily the nicest car.

The best way to look at these Car Shows is you get to show off your car, you get to see some other cool cars and you hopefully will meet lots of nice people with a similar interest. :)

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I go to shows all the time with my 04. I don't always win and I don't always lose but, every time I go I have fun. I have placed a few times 1st in my class but the point of it all is to enjoy all the cars. Some older cars are really nice but, I talk with the owners and some just bought them. Never did a stitch of work on them and they win best of show. It's all up to the judges it's all what they like on that day. I always thought that judging should be up to the viewers and there should be lots of classes and opportunities to at least place. After all we pay to show our cars. I also like to eat hot dogs and look at all the stationary and moving eye candy. One thing about a Viper no matter where it is it turns heads.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the only reason id ever enter my car in a show is for a safe and nice parking spot. i dont wanna win or pretend i care about a trophy.

V10 PWRD

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Slysnake...I could have very easily written your story. Exact same thing happened to me in both shows I entered. Most popular car there and people flocked to it. I let kids get in the drivers seat and have their pictures taken. End of both shows no recognition at all but I had fun knowing the attention the Viper brought and the knowledge I owned a one of a kind.
Bottom line I firmly believe the Vipers are too new to draw the attention desrved. Wait till the Gen 1's are at least 20 years old and we might see some recognition.
Enjoy your car. We all own a very unique machine! :usa:

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bet you got a ton of questions about the Viper. Most people have never seen one up close and know almost nothing about them. Enjoy the attention and educate the people. How else are they to appreciate what a great car the Viper is and that the owners are friendly and a great group of people to be around?:2tu:

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most people view all high end late model cars as something that you just went and bought, not something you "built from the ground up." Of course, the same could be said for the guy next to you who stroked a check to a custom rod shop to build his fiberglass '32 highboy, but average joe's don't make that connection.

I think that has more to do with it than anything. Just enjoy the cars, company and questions...there will be plenty!

05CopperHD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't get discouraged. Go for the fun, socializing and other unique looking cars. Believe me, you will have one of the most popular cars in the show. FWIW, a buddy talked me in to entering a car show with about 250 cars participating. Short version is all the participants voted for their choice of "Best in Show". They chose my 05 Paxton Viper. Just goes to show how popular and unique the Viper is still.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trophies should only go to those owners who actually do something with their cars in terms of restorations, hot rodding, etc. To give a trophy to a car that an owner wrote a check for and did nothing but change oil and polish is not right in my mind. I have entered my show cars in many shows and could care less about the trophies or someone elses opinion. I prefer to put my car in the show but not register for prizes. That is why cruise ins are the best. Everyone has fun, gets to see the cars and no prizes. Car trophies are just a waste of money and resources.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did 2 shows this weekend. One at a Commemorative Air Force show (~60 cars), and one at a Logan's Roadhouse (~225 cars).

Both participant judging.

Won a nice Top 20 plaque at the air show, and nothing at Logan's.

Based on decent experience at this, did not expect to win at the air show, and also expected not to win at Logan's. So a nice unexpected surprise at the CAF event.

Moral of story - people at classic car shows don't give a ship about Vipers.

Moral of story II - I beat a C6 ZO6 and his GF's Stang at the CAF show. They won nothing. Double tap. Made up for Logan's.

Moral of story III - make sure the show has beer so it will have been worth it regardless of the outcome.

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did my first local car show a few months ago. I entered the future classics, 1983 and up. Only Viper in the show, the rest were Vettes, Mustangs, Camaro and a few other cars. There was even a 300C SRT8 in the group. As I was walking around looking at the other cars, I stopped and looked at a 05 Vette. One of the judges came up and told the guy he was moving him out of the future classics and into the street rod group. The owner asked why and the judge said, "you see the Viper over there." Guy said yes, judge said, "well, do you want to win something??" The owner smiled and said he understood. ;)

At the end of the day, I took first.:D:2tu:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I entered my 01 Viper year before last in the Kamloops Hot Night In the City show. Wasn't sure I'd place, but the show usually has over 400 extremely high quality cars so it's worth entering just to see all the great cars. Out of the 15 trophies, I got first in '80 to Current Collector Car and they only had that 1 trophy for about 75 cars. All brands as all car shows are based on OLD cars. Although the Viper is definitely the most popular current Collector Car, it is newer.

My driveline was heavily modified at that time and advertised at 900bhp. This year I also attended the HNITC show and have many many more modifications, but received nothing. Interesting was that they started a trophy called "Bling" which my buddies Stealth R/T won as everything in his engine compartment is polished or chromed.

I entered a local Car Show (200cars) and although I received 1st place year before last. I got seconded to a DUB 300SRT8 last year! I guess I needed a painted engine cover and TVs in my headrests??? LOL. This year I entered my 440 Resto-mod Duster. Although I did win "Best Paint Design" many years ago, I don't win trophies with my Duster as it's not a $150,000 garage/trailer queen. Musclecar classes always have a large turnout.

Car Shows are fun because there are a large collection of "CAR GUYS" there and lots of good people to talk to. The larger shows often have dances etc. Western Canada has a tradition of attending the Mission Car Show each year (I travel 1000mi. for it) because it's a Children's Hospital Charity. I believe the show only sponsors about 5 trophies as it's all about the Charity. Attendence is normally 1200-2500 cars.

I plan to load my 440 Duster into my trailer and head out to the Langley Show and shine this weekend as they normally have 2500-3500 cars parked thoughout the downtown area. Burnout contests are usually the night before. Hoping that this will sell my Duster as there could be as many as 250,000 people come and look. I don't believe that there is any trophies at this show at all. I also think of this show as a memorial to a 55 Chev friend of mine that passed on a few months ago.

Ted

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went to see a car show and was convinced to enter it by a show worker who waived me in persistently. I got parked next to an overly pimped out C5.:crazy2: I spent my time looking at the rest of cars and left before judging. That is the first and last car show I will enter. It is nice to have a show worthy ride but I enjoy driving my Viper way more than showing it.

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Coming from the 60's muscle cars I can tell you that there is a whole clique with most shows being attended by many of the same participants time after time.While the cars are gorgeous many have stopped being cars and started being reasons to go to shows I know of a number of cars that have only been driven off and on the trailer and accumulate mileage only on the way to the show.If you like shows go to them,just ignore all the crap.

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even with cruise-ins, I never park my car with the showed cars. The way I look at it is, "I didn't do anything but change the oil and put gas in it." Not really something to be proud of. I think car shows are more for classics or modified cars.

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
About car shows, there are two types, a general all type cars/truck/motorcycles, SHOULD NOT have judging, when the people arrive and register, give everyone a distinct number, then draw the amount of places numbers and give each winner a $50 dollar bill, that way you can buy a pizza on the way home OR if you want to become a "trophy-chaser" then go the next day and buy a trophy with the $50...the other type car show is when it is only for ONE type, such as corvette, or viper or 55-57 Chevy or whatever, then you can have REAL judges, that usually know their craft and can also give you pointers if you don't win any ribbons or trophies...a lot of general car shows let the city mayor or the local cheerleaders pick the car they like, and they usually go to a red mustang convertible, preferably 65-66 years...just my $.02....

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I displayed my first 2 Vipers (Gen1/2) at car shows when they were new. I purposely did NOT enter them in the judging because I know how hard lots of people work to get their cars show quality. Just because I could now afford to buy everyone's dream car doesn't qualify me to win car shows because of it.

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did not sense any sarcasm in your post...but, would you rather not be driving the thing? Who cares about car shows... :drive::drive:
This weekend I had the opportunity to participate in my first car shows with the Viper.

The first show was on Saturday. About 250 cars participating. A few Vettes, mostly antique cars and '70s/80's cars. (Considered "classics" I guess), and I'm the only Viper. In fact,the conversation usually goes something like, "Yeah, we had a viper her a few years ago." Something like that. Well fine. It was a beautiful day and the judging of the cars was going to be done by a hired judge. So I'm thinking it will be great. Car people know the Viper and I should do well. It was a plesent day and lots of people came by to talk about the car and enjoy it. Then the judging comes and the winners in our class were a couple of IROC-Zs. I going, "***, are you kidding me?" Oh well, so what.

Today was a bigger show. Over 500 cars and the participants judged. The weather was not as nice as the sky was cloudy all day and we even got a few sprinkles about noon. The audience flocked around my car. It was non-stop all day with lots of people crowding around the Viper asking questions and taking pictures. Definatly the most popular car in our area of the show. Once again did'nt even place in the judging.

Right now I'm thinking these were my first and probably last car shows. Maybe I'm just a little disillusioned right now. I enjoyed showing the car to the public and everyone that came by was really excited to see a real Viper. But the judging thing just ****** me off too much.

OP
OP
S

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by slysnake
The rest of your comments don't deserve a response.

Ouch
You know that comment was directed at the only person in this thread that felt he could use the post to try to make himself look "cool" some how. Everyone else's posts were wonderful.

I'm sorry most people read my post as crying about not winning a trophy. I guess I was just suprised and shocked at how it works. Now i know. :) LOTS of good, enjoyable responses here. Thank you all.

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Slysnake, I don't think I did it to you....I just reported about car shows....sometimes it gets old quickly if you want to become a trophy chaser....people usually have about the same three questions, how much is this worth ??, would you sell it ?? How fast does it go?? On a Viper they ask what is that plastic looking bubble in the headlights area ?? You are also there to help to protect your car as well, I went to a Dodge show once, left for the bathroom and when I returned two guys were sitting in my car acting like they were driving and trying to shift the tranny....I wish I had a stun gun then....a lot of people are nice BUT sometimes the work and detailing to make it show excellent is it really worth it ?? Back to my earlier comment, I feel that a pure car show with skilled judges is great for connecting...the other type, parking in a parking lot for an evening, there is no way for any judges to be able to compare a Viper against a 32 coupe versus a 55 chevy truck versus a ferrari...just my $.02, just draw a number out of a hat and give the people that make the show....the car owners a $50 bill and if you want trophys go the next day and get one saying best of show or prettiest of all or whatever....take care and keep the shiny side up...

jimchris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went to a local car show today and had a good time and had lots of great comments on my car. They parked a black 05 Vette next to me and the owner of that car said to me oh crap they had to put me next to a Viper. He was a real nice guy but I felt a little bad for him because all day I heard comments like I see Vettes every day and never get to see a Viper. Oh ya my wife caught a kid standing on my splitter, its pretty strong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte