1st time to redline...

SoCal Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now that my car is broken in I was able to enjoy the massive acceleration rush yesterday. Drove around Orange County with a friend going full throttle to redline in 1st and 2nd a few times. What a Rush!!! A bit scary at first as you literally have to hold on. Only problem is that you're going around 80 mph in 2nd and probably just asking for a ticket. Brakes were pretty impressive too. Now everything else I drive seems underpowered and tame. Love the Beast!!!
biggrin.gif

GaryC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am sure that I will be getting the same feeling when I get my 01 on Tuesday from Woodhouse,
biggrin.gif
. Never had a Viper before. Plan to be done with break in on Friday.
devil.gif
I have had fast cars in the past, 30 years ago, it has been long over due.
crying.gif

SamC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now that she's broken in, it's time to really get a Viper thrill. Rather than risk further tickets, you need to join us at Viper Days. The next event and first of 2002 will be in late January at Willow Springs in Lancaster, California. You will get excellent instruction and meet some great Viper drivers at the event. You will learn how to manage all that power safely and bring the snake up to speeds it was intended to be at. At the end of a weekend, you will have a Viper smile that will last for weeks.

All new Viper owners need to go to at least one Viper Days event. You will likely have such a great time that you'll keep coming back. You can learn more about Viper Days at...
www.viperdays.com

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Craig--

This "time of discovery" of your heavy-hitter vehicle is truly something you'll always remember. Believe it or not, I had mine when I went from a Ford Taurus to a 96 Z-28. I would commute in it, getting to my destination actually shaking and spun out of my head. It was a spectacular feeling.

Unfortunately, the time I had with the Z (with and without blower) at once prepared me and dilluted my first days with the Viper. I actually can remember feeling a little bit of "is that all there is"-type melencholy...the Viper had been so built up, so vaunted--make no mistake, it was a league faster than a 330 ft-lb Camaro, but I was expecting a bigger difference in the leagues.

It took me a few days to realize that where the viper REALLY takes off into another world is the crazy air above about 120 mph. There is NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING on the road today under $500K that owns the triple digit playground like Viper. I soon shamed a Diablo SV, who seemed to be the only car interested in challenging me, besides a very spunky WS-6 Pontiac. It was the WS-6, a car that would have dusted my camaro but which was utterly annihilated by the ACR, that really underscored the idea that the Viper really lives Dodge's new motto--It's "different".

So what I discovered, was that Viper underwhelmed me at first because of its tall gear ratios. First gear in the viper was like 2nd gear in my automatic camaro--maybe higher! I believe this makes the car much more usable, and thus I appreciate it. If you've ever driven a 90's Mazda RX-7 turbo, you know what I mean. First gear in that car is almost useless, the redline comes up so fast. So while you're busy shifting to second (or spinning your tires because first is so short), the Viper is long gone.

So Craig--Salud! Careful! I don't know what you've driven up to this point, but this is different...You can stack this car up in 2 seconds if you're careless...Consider your shifting style in a corner for example--you apex a cresting curve and decide to power out...but you are still turning...you upshift, but the instant you clutch, the weight begins to come off the rears, and that, coupled with you cresting a slight slope lightens the rears still more, and suddenly you are looking at the side of the road, not the center...

It happens every day. Find your friction points where there is nothing to hit! Have fun...hope to see you out there...

GaryC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sam, is this on the big track or the Streets? I have been kicking it around to go to a driving school, maybe I will wait.

Does it help if I use to race a 600hp 1300lb sprint car, I hope so, I truly miss going slideways.
biggrin.gif

Actually, I have been gone faster on water than land, 163 mph. I hope that will soon change. ;)

thanks

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gary, if you don't wanna wait till the end of Jan., some of us are going to Willow Springs (big track) on Dec. 1 & 2 for the Touring Car Club event, some will be taking the driving courses offered, if interested e-mail me.

SamC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Willow Springs is a great race track. I raced with the Touring Club and had a great time. Although I did not do the driving school, I understand they do a good job. I hope to race with the Touring Club some more next year.

Having said that, the professionalism of Viper Days is a step beyond what the Touring Club has to offer. First of all, the driver training is Viper specific. Nearly everybody is driving a Viper! The instructors will go out with you on every session until you feel confident enough to go the course alone. The driving school and instruction is included with the cost of the weekend. You will have more seat time in Viper Days as compared to the Touring Club.

Viper Days lunches, banquet, and awards are top notch. PMUM and I have been asking for more bowling-type trophies, but that is besides the point. I personally think you will enjoy the Touring Club more after having done Viper Days first. I hope to see you there.

OP
OP
S

SoCal Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys... I've been very careful with the Snake. Not really getting on the throttle until fully pointed straight. I know it bites back hard if you're careless. My other cars (01 Boxster S and 96 Z3) are much more tame.

Viper Days sounds great! Other than a helmet (which I still need to go and buy) what else does one need?

GaryC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am very interested to go to Willow in December and doing the school. What does in cost for the school and track time?

Also how much track time?

thanks guys

SamC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know what's required for the Touring Club. When I raced with them, we were a group of Vipers from the SoCal VCA. We did our own tech and may have not followed their rules.

For Viper Days, you need a Snell 95 or better helmet. I bought mine at Simpson's in Torrance. There are also some good on-line discount sites (i.e. Helmet City). If the brake fluid or clutch fluid is dirty, you will need to have them flushed. Archer Racing is at the track and can do this for a nominal fee. If you catch me between sessions, I can show you how to do this. I would recommend flushing the brakes with a high temp fluid (i.e. Motul 600) to prevent boiling it. I boiled my brake fluid on the first day of my first Viper Days. You need to wear natural fiber clothes with long sleeves and pants. You will also need driving gloves.

Gary, if you go to Willow Springs in December, you have to do Viper Days in January so you can show us the fastest line.

GaryC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sam, u 1 fun knee guy.

I can hold my own but me no fast guy, lol.

I am very willing to learn, I will follow you around,if,IF, I can keep up. Thanks for the words of encouragement.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
for viper days you will also need lots of cash...about $600.00,for 2 days, more for 3. unless skip's raising his prices for next year in that case you will need more...

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GaryC:
I am very interested to go to Willow in December and doing the school. What does in cost for the school and track time?

Also how much track time?

thanks guys

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Gary, I believe Ulysses from down your way (San Diego) is going as well as a couple of his friends. Price for 2 days (Sat. & Sun., Dec. 1 & 2) with instruction and track time is $260. It may not be as intense instruction as Viper Days but it is less the half the price. You will get around 4-6 hours of track time for the 2 days.

You can go to www.touringcarclub.com for more info. You'll need long sleeved shirt & pants, closed toed shoes, racing gloves, a Snell 85 or later helmet (95 would be best) and a FIRE EXTINGUISHER in the passanger compartment. If you are serious e-mail me a fax # and I'll fax you all the necessary forms & info.

Deadline Nov. 24th

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We were in the 100-120 range. Keep in mind that it was NOT the 6.0. The SV is a lesser Diablo, but still costs 240,000 dollars! They are going for 220,000 used.