20"-22" inch wheel options w/lowering?

J P Jones

Enthusiast
Reaction score
20\"-22\" inch wheel options w/lowering?

Gentlemen & Ladies:

Has anyone put bigger wheels and tire combos on their SRTs yet? If so, or if anyone knows what combo, please share offsets, lowering instructions, etc.... I'm sure there aren't any RFT combos that are bigger.

Thank you much,

J P

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: 20\"-22\" inch wheel options w/lowering?

Just 20's have been put on, that we know of anyway. Thats probably as big as you would want to put on. Although the wheel wells need to be filled, you dont want the rim to be TO big. Also, I believe that 20's are the biggest size that you can get in a 13 inch width for the rear. Just my $.02.

Austin

kenvw

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: 20

I am changing my gears to 3:55 and adding 130 hp. I was thinking with this amount of torque now available it would be a good idea going to a larger wheel (20") and tire. With this size tire I should be gaining further distance with each revolution therefore getting me from point a to b in a faster time. I think the gear ratio of the car now is to weak imho but with the few upgrades of the gears and hp was anticapating a much stronger pull. Anyway input would be appreciated. I would like to know what others think. Also I believe that the larger wheel will fill in the wheel area with a better look.

unclgreggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have 19F and 20R on my srt. Car is fine. I am waiting for the Moton adjustable suspension to be delivered (Jon B, any news?). As soon as I get the suspension the car will be slammed to the ground. Once I do that and my drilled rotors, I will post some feedback and pics for you if you want.

CitySnake - if you read this, let me have it, I deserve it!

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score

With this size tire I should be gaining further distance with each revolution therefore getting me from point a to b in a faster time.
If you have two cars travelling at the same speed going from same point A to same point B, they will get there at the same time. No matter what size tires/wheels/gears/power. If I was travelling in my Mazda 323 with 95lb/ft, 82 hp, and 14" wheels with 195/60 tires at 60 MPH, wouldn't I get there the same time as you in a Viper with say 950 lb/ft, 850 hp, 20" wheels with 315/30 rear tires if I stayed the same distance behind you the entire time both cars travelling 60 MPH?

The only way your "theory" would be correct is if the drivers watched the speedometer and your Viper with 20" wheels was not recalibrated.

kenvw

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Yes, exact same speed per any car will get you there at the same time that is obvious. However, I stated that each revolution of the tire if bigger will roll you a further distance each time, so therefore at 5000 rpms the larger tire will cover a longer distance. If the car has enough torque and geared right sometimes a larger wheel can be used to get you from point a to b in a shorter amount of time. Again I think it is a matter of preference and what is enough torque verses speed. So the trick is to size up the tire and gear ratio with the engine to give the best pull and cover the distance in the shortest amount of time. I am no expert on that exact formula and that was why I posted the idea. However, I still believe that my original observation was correct.

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What you're saying is that if two Vipers, one with stock wheels, one with 20s were travelling at 5k RPMs in the same gear, then the Viper with 20s would be faster getting there. True. But that's not real world. Normally people measure their speed by MPH, not RPMs, so I don't understand what you're trying to say with I'll get there faster if I have dubs on my Viper and I go 5k RPMs compared to your 5k RPMs. 20s only work on changing looks and gear ratio. Hence top speed and speed at RPMs, not speed limits. Wheel size doesn't decrease time it takes to get from point A to point B traveling same speed as any other car, like you said.

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You're scaring me Gerald. hahaha You can also check out 310 Motoring. They were featured in Automobile Wheel and Tire Guide. They have wheels for high dollar sedans, coupes (Ferraris, Porsches, a stock RT/10 in the photo at the shop), and SUVs. This is also where a few celebs and pro sports players go. www.310motoring.com

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Knvw, if you're going to put a 3.55 in the car and you're going to up mod the engine 130 HP, then you should be ok. That one inch will put you back close to the 3.07, or a little above that. The car is allready overgeared but with the Gen three power increase and the 130 you are going to add, well I think you should have one very long winded super car. As far as the coment on rotating mass, well that is a factor. I hope you like the way it looks, plus you should have a traction factor on good roads. The extra rotating mass is pretty bad though, more weight and diameter, on all four wheels, must be equel to around 30 or 40 HP, just a guess. As for lowering the car, I done mine around a half inch, looks great. You need to go done around one full inch since you raised the rooling diameter one inch, that raised the car a half inch. Add another half to that and you got it. I think the car looks great this way.

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

"What you're saying is that if two Vipers, one with stock wheels, one with 20s were travelling at 5k RPMs in the same gear, then the Viper with 20s would be faster getting there. True"

Remeber that 20" is the wheel size not the overall tire diameter. Depending on the tire size, 20" wheels could have a smaller tire diameter than even a 15" wheel.

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ok, you got me there Jeff. I was automatically thinking compact car size tires. Not anything like non-stock truck tires or "swampers". So if you took the 20" wheel with 1" sidewalls, you come to a total diameter of 22". If you take my 14" wheels I had on my Mazda with 3.5" tire sidewall height, I had a rolling diameter of 21". For the 15" wheels to match the 22" diameter, you'd need 3.5" sidewalls. That's about right for a good assumption on stock tires for any regular stock Honda, etc.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If the profile is lower than the oem setup, yes you would be back to the same, but the oem tire is very low pro. to start with, I sure would not want it any lower. Then you would have a traction loss factor, and it might just look a little bit bony looking on there. I like a nice balance of tire and wheel to got with the car. overall rolling size is going to increase if you put a tire on there with the same sidwall hight.

Do you have have a good clutch in mind, you shure will need it, even with lower gears. j

skip White

OP
OP
J

J P Jones

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey...what's up with the stereo typical racist remarks at the beginning of my post. Just because u want to know about bigger wheels doesn't mean you're ghetto. You're more ghetto if you make ignorant rants like that then if you'd put 30 inch spinners on your car. I thought people on this site were of a higher intelligence level. Wow.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

Hey...what's up with the stereo typical racist remarks at the beginning of my post. Just because u want to know about bigger wheels doesn't mean you're ghetto. You're more ghetto if you make ignorant rants like that then if you'd put 30 inch spinners on your car. I thought people on this site were of a higher intelligence level. Wow.

And I thought most VIPER owners had above average "taste". :smirk: It's nothing to do with race but cultural preference. I don't like Eminem either. Fact is putting 22" wheels on a SRT is tastless and is counter to performance which is what a sports car is all about. You want to defend your tasteless poser decision try to make a better arguement than an inappropriate racist comment. :smirk:

OP
OP
J

J P Jones

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Those who have a big ricer wing on there cars probably don't need to speak of taste. Saying you don't like Eminem is fine, saying that Eminem is ghetto is probably another...I think. I respect your opinion on taste, but in the future you should disdain from using derogatory epithets to describe your choice in taste.

That being said...I just want to go 19-20 instead of 18-19...and I know there's some zany wheel combos out there that I'd just like to see. Just like there's some zany exterior options that I see you enjoy as well.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think the 20" and 19" wheels on the SRT-10 Viper will look great. Personally, I'd pick HRE 847R's (if they fit).

-Dean.