2000 ACR questions

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am approaching my 4th season with my 2000 Red ACR and have some mechanical questions. I am not very car savvy and used to have family to help with fixing the car (lost that help in my divorce). I have changed the battery, fixed the crank pulley and the car, as far as I can tell, is stock minus an exhaust. It looks like I am running custom 3in straight pipes with Megs exhaust tips and no mufflers. Stock headers and cats. I think I am overdue to change the plugs/wires just for good measure. I am noticing my drivers side window is getting very sluggish so the motor is going. My AC isn't holding the charge very well but the viper mechanic couldn't identify a leak so he just refilled it. I have a bad "squeak" when turning or backing up so I am pretty sure they are the front end sway bar end-links as the bushings are pretty beat (noticed when fixing the crank pulley (used locktight red and set for 24 hours). No more losing the serpentine belt.

I guess I am just wanting to get my viper in top fighting shape (not worried about any mods at this point). What are some general things I need to do to maintain my car. I really want to drive her this year. I also have bubbling on my left valve cover and when I get on the car, a very strange smell occurs; "engine like" however I am thinking maybe it is just from having giant straight pipes and no muffler?

I know and appreciate it is almost impossible to diagnose a car without driving it and seeing it in person but I would like to be armed with the best knowledge so I don't get ripped off when going to fix it. I at least have enough knowledge of some of the parts, where they are located and the current condition from trying to learn about my car as I go along. However, people that have tried diagnosing the condition of the car say there is no worry with the paint bubbling on the valve cover and the "smell" is normal? I don't know.

Thanks in advance.

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you not have a Viper Mechanic say, within a 100 miles or so. If so I would take it to him & just let him do an overall checkup of the car (or find someone in your VCA region & ask them who they would recommend) might help to join the club though. Good Luck! jmo

OP
OP
T

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Matt. I do have a viper mechanic in my area (metro detroit), however, I have always gotten "The car looks great to me." That isn't sufficient because I have pointed out the bushing issues of the end-links and the odd smell when I step on the gas. I just don't get why no one seems to mind it. Does anyone else run straight pipes and muffler delete and get a noxious smell when the pedal is to the floor?

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a bad "squeak" when turning on my 2000 ACR. I ended up changing out the hub and everything was back to normal. You might get some one to listen outside of the car as you drive in a circle. Hope that helps?

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the smell is only there with the windows down then it maybe the two vents on each side of the truck. Mine fell down and was allowing exhaust fumes in the cabin. If you don't know when the wires/plugs were replaced I would go ahead and do em.

OP
OP
T

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No the smell is inside the cabin. I will have it looked at again at the dealership and get plugs changed. Thanks for the replies. Any other things that should be checked or replaced on a 13 year old car?

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How old are the tires? All fluids should be changed if there is no history of it. I would also think about the forward o2 sensors since after awhile carbon builds up on them and gives inaccurate readings to the pcm.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stuff like suspension components, wheel bearings etc are not terribly Viper-tech-only territory. Take it to a reputable tuner/car builder to look over the simple stuff like that.

Is the smell potentially the sulfur-smell from the cats that sometimes happens with repeated WOT blasts?

overzealous1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I can help ya with a set of polyurethane bushings. Chances are very good they are cracked/worn and need replaced. Since you have an ACR, you would only need control arm set.