2002 RT/10 Steering Cap

Viper 55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does this year Viper or the Gen 2 have a problem with the power steering cap vibrating loose all the time?

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was told by the salesman that sold me my 2001 RT/10 to check the power steering cap every time that I had the hood open. He said that there was a known issue with it vibrating loose. Although it hasn't happened to me yet.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does this year Viper or the Gen 2 have a problem with the power steering cap vibrating loose all the time?

I lost the p.s. cap on my '99 after 4 laps on the road course. After that, I clamped a piece of 3/8" fuel line about 12" long to the ****** on the cap, bent it so it was pointing down, and zip tied it in place. Or you could go the expensive route and buy one of the fancy chrome ones.

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my 94 does not loosen but my 2002 will with out the clamp and stainless tube.

Last edited:

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I snug my cap with a pipe wrench. It scars the cap a bit but that doesn't bother me.

I used to use a pair of 440 Channel locks until I bought the fix. The short answer is yes...you need to be concerned. I lost my cap in 2000 when the car was only a few months old. An old Artic Cat snowmachine gas cap fit quite nicely till the new one came.

Steve

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What fix, the tube?

Yeah, the tube. It was a guy from our club that made it, so I supported his effort. Cheap enough and looks good. As you likely know, you can easily make something similar. All it takes is to add a little more weight to the cap ...hanging down the side to overcome whatever small force tends to turn them off. That's how the tube works.

Steve

emo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I pick up a vented tube from a VCA member named Craig "95Viper" back in Dec. 08 for $20.00 shipped to my door.
Checkout his web site Hipoengineering.com

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I quit making them but have some remaining for club members. As before send a check for $20 to HiPo Engineering 7990 Sandmar Lane, Davisburg, MI 48350 and I'll ship a kit out.

OP
OP
V

Viper 55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got my "vented tube" from HiPo Engineering, fast install with easy to follow directions and looks great under the hood. Thanks 95Viper!!
One less thing to worry about.