2005 Viper too cheap

rblong

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok folks, I am hesitant to even post this but in case it is as represented I need some help. I found a 05 Viper, one owner, 13000 miles, black - SUPPOSEDLY super clean with clear title. They are asking $53,900 - yea - that is what I said to them - why (since what it seems I have been seeing is that they are at $60K or better). They said they know the market is soft and want to sell it. It is at a broker here in DFW. I am going to look at it tomorrow and IF, I mean IF it looks as they say I want to take to a good place in DFW and have it looked over by a pro. Where should I go? I will do a Carfax on it, but from what I have read here it may not mean much.

I know that if it looks to good to be true it usually is, but I gotta go look at it anyway.

Any help would be appreciated

Bruce

trainville

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
That's a good deal, but not too cheap to be ureasonable. I've been looking at 03, 04, and 05 SRT10's and find the cheapest to all be around 54k or 55k. Nothing much below that. That's a good deal and maybe you DO need to jump on it. He's right - the market for Gen III's is soft right now and prices are fairly reasonable.

That WOULD be a great deal, but I would really be worrying if he wanted 42k for it. Some people are just willing to take it in the shorts to get out from under payments, Lease, etc. Have someone check it out in person for sure!

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's got 13k miles, which makes it a good deal, but not a steal.

If you want a steal shoot me a PM and we can talk about a 2004 with under 5k miles.

JackKodesh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Model year comes less into play with the viper...the '03s get less because of upgrades since..but '04 '05s are usually on par and really the MILEAGE is what the value of the car is based on...13k on an '05 is relatively high...but since you have warranty left I would say that's a good deal you are getting...not a steal..but good deal.

It's also black...that's a harder color to move and be sure to check the finish of it in sunlight. If it was red or yellow the asking price would be higher...just more popular colors

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my search for an '06 coupe, I came across a number of '05 convertibles w/3,500 to 5,000 miles for $58. Before you buy a 13K car take a look, that's alot of miles

Mike

JackKodesh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is that a lot of miles in Texas? I'm assuming you can drive it all year yound there...correct?

If you're in the Northeast you really only get like 7 Months of available driving...since it gets so cold..and snow/weather conditions.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's alot of miles for depreciation. Late model vipers that drive 10-12K year are usually leased where the owner probably is going to walk away and move on at the end. Personally I consider 3K a year average viper miles. Cars that aveage 3K a year are worth 10% or 20% more than 10K year cars. If miles don't matter, look at the pricing on 3 year old's w/30K plus miles, there give-a-ways

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's alot of miles for depreciation. Late model vipers that drive 10-12K year are usually leased where the owner probably is going to walk away and move on at the end. Personally I consider 3K a year average viper miles. Cars that aveage 3K a year are worth 10% or 20% more than 10K year cars. If miles don't matter, look at the pricing on 3 year old's w/30K plus miles, there give-a-ways

That is your 2 cents.

Mine is, that 3k a year is not average miles for a viper, its considerably more for true Viper enthusiasts who enjoy their cars. And your assertion that 10-12k Miles a year is usually leased is also off (IMO), as we have had the pleasure of owning 3 vipers, all bought new, never leased, and everyone averaging 15K miles a year. I'd rather not "stereo type" vipers, as we have PLENTY of owners on this site that REALLLLLY rack up the miles on these amazing cars.

Jon

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that is NOT a lot of miles.

For the Viper community? uhhhh YEH, haha. no one seems to drive these cars, what a shame.

go check it out-if it shows clean, go for it.

Life is short, drive as much Viper as you can afford.

JackKodesh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
13k a year may be on the high side...but 3k miles a year? I easily put that on in 3 months in the summer if not more...and come to think of it I would be in the 13k if not more range if I lived in a climate that would allow it.

I simply do not understand owning a car you do not use....why save it for the next guy...sure it may depreciate a LITTLE bit more....but you're also ENJOYING IT A LOT MORE...for the money you have put into it.

I would rather loose $10k more...and have 10x more time in the viper than pocket $10k and have missed out on that time in my life.

And what's $10k anyway...when on a nice day a ride in the SRT is simply priceless

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
13k a year may be on the high side...but 3k miles a year? I easily put that on in 3 months in the summer if not more...and come to think of it I would be in the 13k if not more range if I lived in a climate that would allow it.

I simply do not understand owning a car you do not use....why save it for the next guy...sure it may depreciate a LITTLE bit more....but you're also ENJOYING IT A LOT MORE...for the money you have put into it.

I would rather loose $10k more...and have 10x more time in the viper than pocket $10k and have missed out on that time in my life.

And what's $10k anyway...when on a nice day a ride in the SRT is simply priceless
Couldnt have put it better, even though I tried above :)
:2tu:

OP
OP
R

rblong

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well I went and checked/drove it today. My first Viper drive - pretty cool. It felt very strange, but all cars do the first time you drive them. Felt good and tight and quick. I did not get to play too much because it was 3:30 in Dallas and there ain't too much clear space anywhere around there at that time.

It appeared stock, had some curb rash on the right rear wheel (that sucked). Paint looked good. It had not been cleaned up very well - I mean it had not been cleaned deeply - still had brake dust on inside of wheels and some bug guts on the front. They had just brought it back from the dealership and had the drivers side kidney pad replaced, a couple pieces of dash plastic replaced and was waiting on the main plastic piece in the center of the dash because it looked like the guy that drove it put his thumb on the dash when he was pushing the start button and it wore a place. It had almost 17,000 miles not 13,000. Everyhting else looked very good.

It came from a guy in Midland, and if you know that area you can drive a lot of miles getting anywhere, but due to the pad being worn out and probable scuffs in the dash plastic parts I think he was probably in and out of it alot.

I can see what you guys are talking about as far as seat lowering kit - I would definately need it. I would also think that it is fairly common to have to replace the driver side entry kindey pad? We had the top up so you had to rub against it pretty hard to get seated.

Part of me wanted to buy it and just drive it away, but it is the first one I have looked at and driven. I did not like they said 13,000 and then it had over 16,000, you would also think a "Broker" would have had it detailed to the max to try and turn it - I don't know - I think at this point,or at least for this moment I want to keep looking - but damn it will be hard -it is there for the taking.

As far as yearly driving mileage - I manage to put 5000-6000 miles a year on my AC Cobra Roadster and it is loud, stinky, hot and scares the liquids out of you every time time you drive it. Something as cushy as a Viper with it's A/C, radio, quiet exhaust I can see driving a lot more than that!!!

Man - this is fun though!!!!

Bruce

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SRT-10 convertibles have taken a beating in value in the past six months. $53.9K is not too cheap. Frankly, with very slow sales in the auto market now, the sellers will probably be ecstatic to get close to that for the car.

13K miles? That's not much, if it's all street-driven. Maybe higher than the many garage queens you see advertised, but not enough to make any quality difference.

Locally, there was a wrecked '04 that sold at salvage auction for $31K. Looked like a $10 - 15K fix (cheaper if the buyer goes the bondo/ghetto fix route), and it'll have a branded title after repaired. So, someone's going to have $46K (or more) in a salvage history SRT-10. I wish I had known before it sold...it would have been a good cheap starting point to build a track car.

I bet you could pick up that 2005 you mentioned for closer to $50K. Around $35K less than the MSRP last year? Go for it. And DRIVE it!

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A black 2003 with under 8800 miles sold for $49,301 on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...359892&rd=1,1

The BUYER gave positive feedback so I'm betting he actually got the car.

I'm not selling so the low values don't bother me.

I don't understand why ANYONE would buy a used Z06 when Viper CONVERTIBLES are such deals. (Some people like myself, will pay a hefty premium to be the actual first owner of a car.)

With the latest Z06s are stickered higher than what new SRT-10 convertibles are selling for, I can't really imagine why anyone would buy a new one either.

I know a Z06 is a little quicker, but getting a CLEARLY better looking, more exotic, CONVERTIBLE Viper is a much better value if you are driving for enjoyment.......

OP
OP
R

rblong

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I been watching e-bay and have no problems buying from there. The last car (I should say play toy) I bought from e-bay I put a maximum bid on it and had to go out of town. When I got back it did not meet reserve. I called the guy and the reserve was like $30 more than the highest bidder and well below my max. I called him, paid what he needed for it and 2 years later I still have a great car at about 15K less than what it could be sold for. It was the same time of year - really slow for cars.

We "specialty" car people you run into a lot of good people and can usually work out a deal. The seller just wants some decent cash and know you will enjoy it.

I have given many a good deal to the right people, and never regret it. This is the time to sell off some stuff and get some new stuff. Heck, I got a saleboat for sell that someone will get a good deal on cause I don't need it and that is how it should be.

As far as the Z06, I am not a Corvette person and already have another car to beat them!

It is all good - but I will be glad when I run across the right one!

Bruce

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to high with mileage. Ask any of the NY members. Most of us have over 10K on our cars and many of them are over 20K. I know Dimitrios is at around 50K and I just hit 40K today. 40029 to be exact!

Custom Builder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All these guys saying 15-20K isn't high miles for a Viper are the same ones who when buying wouldn't even look at anything with those miles. It is a buyers market on any Viper with over 10K miles. Sure they're just as reliable as just about any car to 100K miles, but the Viper is still somewhat of an exotic and miles kill any and all exotics resale value. Many people buy them just to go to car shows or drink a beer while staring at it in the garage. Don't let the folks with high mileage cars tell you it doesn't matter, it definately does.

S

sachin

Well yesterday a brand new 05 SRT-10 Convert sold for $68000 Canadian.... that is around 59g's US for a brand new car. With 13000 miles and being in the US that price seems right on.

OP
OP
R

rblong

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am definately passing on this one. I get the feeling the miles on it are rough miles. It had a lot more wear on the discs than I have on a couple other cars I have with more miles. Something just doesn't seem right with this.

Thanks for everyones help.

TBarrow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My wife bought me a 03 red vert and delivered it to me on 9-5-06. It had 9500 miles on it, a Corsa Track Exhaust, and she gave 49,000 for it. She had it sent over for a PPI and it came out with flying colors.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All these guys saying 15-20K isn't high miles for a Viper are the same ones who when buying wouldn't even look at anything with those miles. It is a buyers market on any Viper with over 10K miles. Sure they're just as reliable as just about any car to 100K miles, but the Viper is still somewhat of an exotic and miles kill any and all exotics resale value. Many people buy them just to go to car shows or drink a beer while staring at it in the garage. Don't let the folks with high mileage cars tell you it doesn't matter, it definately does.

As long as the car is in good condition, I could care less about the mileage on the vehicle. I looked at several Vipers with over 10K miles when looking but none of them were in good condition. If it was in good condition I could care less. Mileage is no a big issue as long as the car checks out and the interior and exterior are in good condition.

99RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score

IMO, it really only matters if your goal is to sell the car for profit, and that may be a looong time before a Viper gets to that stage. It seems that too many Viper guys are worried about "preserving" their cars for future owners, and for what??? Maybe ten grand more? And very few memories of having fun with the car... Sad that the classic muscle car market (read: Barrett Jackson)has worked it's way into so many other areas of the car hobby.
I sold a '70 V-code 440+6 4-spd shaker 'Cuda project car last summer and bought a '99 RT10 with 12K on it. I have NO intentions of keeping the mileage low for some other guy. The 'Cuda had over 100k on it and had a bit of rust and old body damage, it sold for more than most guys on this board paid for their RT10/GTS/SRT10's. Oh, the 'Cuda was in non-running condition(in fact, the engine was out). Nobody was ever concerned about keeping the miles off and pampering it, that's for sure:)
If a car is destined to be a collectible, it will be worth money regardless of mileage. There will be too many low mileage Vipers to make them special. The point is, have fun with the car while you own it. :2tu:

56LesPaul

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: 2005 Viper too cheap *DELETED*

Post deleted by Lee00blacksilverGTS

crayne hurst

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a ford gt,Love it so much.Only have room for three cars,So i sold one of the two vipers and got another ford gt.It was 03 for 45,000 it had 15k on it.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wow, you are quite the expert... NOT...

While I have bought all 3 vipers brand new, I do have a little experience selling "a high milage viper" And I'll tell you what, the guy was extremely please with the condition of the car, and it was solid in and out. Actually better then stock, curtisy of Dodge/Arrow. Sorry, real world experience for me has shown that Vipers with milage are still quite valuable and some can out perform "low milage" ones with no cost to the owner. I have personally looked at many higher milage vipers, because most of the time, it means mods... free mods :) anyways enjoying your viper buying experience, and I'll enjoy my buying and selling.

Jon