2012 ZR1 sets new ring record

Vooodoo ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper ACR did "go out" on top. In 2010, nothing could beat it. Production is over. What happens after 2010 doesn't matter, and doesn't affect it having been the best for its time. This is a 2011 or 2012 ZR1, and it is the current top performer, nothing more.

I'd rather see any domestic brand on top, instead of a Nissan or import.

Production was over when the ACR set the record for MMP. The ACR-X is obviously based on the ACR, yet the Viper Cup series is still going. The Gen IV Viper is still making its mark until the Gen V arrives.

Leojmcca

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like Dodge has a reason to add some more tweaks to the 2013 car so we can take it back. Gotta love competition, that's why we have the incredible rides currently being sold at the dealerships.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Leojmcca has it all correct, the competition is just making this the true muscle car era, with machines than really are almost beyond our dreams. Kind of funny that a 2012 car barely beat our 2008, and now that a 2009 whipped up on a 2011 Vette at Miller Motorsports Park by almost 4 seconds, it keeps the fire burning. I hope this back and forth battle keeps going , as it is a sure bet that automotive engineers around the World are not all hellbent to create a better Prius!!

Ya gotta love VooodooACR too, as an ex ZR1 driver he is in the thick of it defending the ACR ---- converts are the most rabid Viper owners. Heh, he should know , as he has owned both, ha!!

46hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before everyone gets too excited about competing with the ZR1 first you have to beat the lowly Z06 which put up a time 3 secs faster than the ACR.

OP
OP
P

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before everyone gets too excited about competing with the ZR1 first you have to beat the lowly Z06 which put up a time 3 secs faster than the ACR.

So reading comprehension isn't your strong suit?
If it was three seconds faster than the ACR, it would have beat the ZR1 tme you dipshiit.

OP
OP
P

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're an idiot.
7:19 is the ZR1 time.

Read. Learn.

The most important change for the 2012 model is the available competition-orientated Michelin Pilot Sport Cup Zero Pressure tires, which helped the Z06 turn around the ‘Ring in just 7:22.68.

Feel kinda stoopid?

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Ya gotta love VooodooACR too, as an ex ZR1 driver he is in the thick of it defending the ACR ---- converts are the most rabid Viper owners. Heh, he should know , as he has owned both, ha!!

We don't, but I think you do.

Awesome job with the Z06. Gotta hand it to Chevy. Same time as the ACR with 95 less HP and no Aero.

Last edited:

troublemaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think everyone should be happy that the record keeps getting traded back and forth between two American cars. Both are amazing cars and are doing it in the backyard of those that feel American cars can't handle. This may have already been said, so if it has, it never hurts to hear it again.

OP
OP
P

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome job with the Z06. Gotta hand it to Chevy. Same time as the ACR with 95 less HP and no Aero.

Makes you wonder why someone would shell out 110K+ for a ZR1 when it's only two seconds faster over 7+ minutes
than a Z06 with performance package. That must be a 40K price difference a least? :dunno:

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone else here has caught this one IMPORTANT line in the Corvette Ring article

"However, GM noted that in 2005, the Z06 was timed from a standing start instead of the rolling start technique used on the latest Z06 and ZR1 models."

The ACR used a rolling start as well, the same BS Nissan did, so when you look at it, the champion was not much of a real champion considering

1) USE OF NON STREET TIRES
2) USE OF NEW "RING RECORD" NISSAN INSPIRED ROLLING START
3) RACE AERO

I wonder how many cars would be at 7:22 or better with the addition of all 3 of the above...

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Makes you wonder why someone would shell out 110K+ for a ZR1 when it's only two seconds faster over 7+ minutes
than a Z06 with performance package. That must be a 40K price difference a least? :dunno:

The Z06 with all the upgrades is still in the $90K range, once you include all the ZR1 parts on it. Basically it is an all-motor ZR1 at that point. They built that version specifically for the track guys. The "normal" Z06 doesn't have the carbon brakes, the splitter/skirts, mag shocks. Those are in the $65-75K range. I've also seen new ZR1s (left over inventory) in the $90s. Friend just bought one for $98K fully loaded, brand new.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone else here has caught this one IMPORTANT line in the Corvette Ring article

"However, GM noted that in 2005, the Z06 was timed from a standing start instead of the rolling start technique used on the latest Z06 and ZR1 models."

The ACR used a rolling start as well, the same BS Nissan did, so when you look at it, the champion was not much of a real champion considering

1) USE OF NON STREET TIRES
2) USE OF NEW "RING RECORD" NISSAN INSPIRED ROLLING START
3) RACE AERO

I wonder how many cars would be at 7:22 or better with the addition of all 3 of the above...

Nissan inspired rolling start?? Huh? Since when were lap records on any closed road course timed from a standing start? So is the ACR lap record at Laguna invalid then? How about Miller? :rolleyes:

OP
OP
P

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've also seen new ZR1s (left over inventory) in the $90s. Friend just bought one for $98K fully loaded, brand new.

But it wasn't a 2012 ZR1 or Z06, which is what we are talking about here.

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nissan inspired rolling start?? Huh? Since when were lap records on any closed road course timed from a standing start? So is the ACR lap record at Laguna invalid then? How about Miller? :rolleyes:

Yes, Nissan,

i believe there was a big controversy when Nissan claimed the GTR had taken over the record a few years back and it ended up that they did a rolling start vs the previously practiced standing start. I may be wrong but that explains why Chevy made the above captioned statement as well, they were being honest, otherwise one could be led to believe that the new car is 20 seconds faster than the old car, which it is not, it is because of the difference in how they did it this time.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well it looks to me like everyone sort of makes up their own rules for timing laps at the Nurburgring. Now there seems to be some question about where the lap times were started and ended. Until there is one set standard that everyone adheres to, these Ring times mean diddly to me.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well it looks to me like everyone sort of makes up their own rules for timing laps at the Nurburgring. Now there seems to be some question about where the lap times were started and ended. Until there is one set standard that everyone adheres to, these Ring times mean diddly to me.

Unless of course the Viper owns the record lap:rolleyes: Let's move on... Dodge needs to get another horse in the race or Snake I should say.

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That's exactly my issue with all the Ring records, what is the standard??

It should be set up like a race classification and have set rules, I think the earlier way of dead start was a more fair way, but i can see the point of the rolling start as well, the new gearing in the 2010 ACR would have helped there as well as the car was banging on the rev limiter as it went through the start trap area.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte