3.73 Gear and S/C Combo

SNKVENOM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi All,
I have a stock 98 Rt/10 with hi flow cats and Random Catbacks. I would like to SC the car and deciding between Roe and Paxton. I known this has been beaten to death but here is my concern. This car was originally purchased at Fitzgerald Dodge and apparently as an after the sale but at the dealership mod. They loved to do a computer upgrade and change the gears to 3.73. When talking to JonB and mentioned the dealership where the car was purchased he quoted what modifications were done not even knowing me.
My question is after about $2600 in mods. it would be a shame to remove them. What setup would be the way to go. Roe has huge low-end torque combined with the gears ???? Go Paxton and the gears will help in the low end and the Paxton on the higher end???? Or just change gears? Plus does anyone out there know what a computer upgrade entailed at Fitzgerald?

Thanks

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi All,
I have a stock 98 Rt/10 with hi flow cats and Random Catbacks. I would like to SC the car and deciding between Roe and Paxton. I known this has been beaten to death but here is my concern. This car was originally purchased at Fitzgerald Dodge and apparently as an after the sale but at the dealership mod. They loved to do a computer upgrade and change the gears to 3.73. When talking to JonB and mentioned the dealership where the car was purchased he quoted what modifications were done not even knowing me.
My question is after about $2600 in mods. it would be a shame to remove them. What setup would be the way to go. Roe has huge low-end torque combined with the gears ???? Go Paxton and the gears will help in the low end and the Paxton on the higher end???? Or just change gears? Plus does anyone out there know what a computer upgrade entailed at Fitzgerald?

Thanks

fitzgerald - we use to call them fitzripoff! They are no more! You'll be lucky if those so called mods are even in there! They where almost as bad as that clown in TX!:omg: If they did someting to the PCM you will have a hard time tuning with a VECIII?

Plum is right, get rid of the gears and go with a Roe blower!
Okay fire suite on - paxton is junk!:eater:

OP
OP
S

SNKVENOM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Wizard. I have always wondered what they could have done as a computer upgrade.

OP
OP
S

SNKVENOM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Now you have me wondering if the gears are 3.73. This is my first viper (had it about 3 mo.) the car pulls very hard in first and when I hit second I found out real early if I go WOT the car could go sideways. This may sound stupid but how can I tell if there are 3.73 in the rear end besides a white Sales sheet that says so. I have shifted to 6 th. Gear at about 70 mph and it feels sluggish. I would have thought with 3.73’s 6th.gear would have been mores responsive?

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This may sound stupid but how can I tell if there are 3.73 in the rear end besides a white Sales sheet that says so.
Jack up rear, rotate tires and count how many times driveshaft rotates per each one rotation of the tire. If it is only three times you have stock gears.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rear gear ratio is evidenced by a stamped metal plate attached to pumpkin. Should be easy to find with a flashlight.

If it is not there, not too hard to count the rotations.

To answer your original question, Paxton is much easier on geared cars and it will spool up rapidly with 3:73's. Whether you can keep it on the road is another question. Get ready to shift rapidly.
With Roe the reaction to a floored pedal will be even more violent. These things come on "right now".

3:73's with any supercharger is indeed a wild ride.

OP
OP
S

SNKVENOM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. Tonight will be a late one. Will have time to check tomorrow.Hope tag is right. don't know if I can count that high.

Thanks

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forget the tach. Put the car in 1st gear and run it up (safely and slowly) to the redline. Can you hit 55mph? If so, it is stock gears. If not, it isn't.

Last edited:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the tag wont be a certain answer either way. like JD said.

best is to spin the driveshaft and count the revolutions or the 55mph thing will help too

OKViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you need them, I have stock 3.07 gears in PERFECT condition that I want to sell. PM if interested...

Knight Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
First thing to do is make sure you are getting good traction, if your still wearing the stock Pilot sports you definitely wont be! Figure out with SC you want to run then drive your car and if you do have the taller gear and don't like it go back to the stock setup. I have a 10psi Roe car, 3:55 gears, ps2's no traction issues and love it.

OP
OP
S

SNKVENOM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I do still have stock pilot sports. I am changing them out be for S/C is installed. I really like the Roe. I am in manufacturing and the Quality of the Roe is just outstanding on top of its great looks. I have only heard great thing about the reliability and consistency of Roe’s product. I just figured that with the power so strong on the lower end with a Roe combined with those gears (still have to check tonight) would absolutely nuke whatever tires I had.

OP
OP
S

SNKVENOM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well for all of you that gave suggestions on how to check rear gear ratio, trying to lift this car is a real trip. I even bought a new 3-ton floor jack to lift it up. Yea right. Could not get close to the rear end with it. It even hits the side sills about a .100 to high. So went with plan “B” drive to 55. Took 1st. gear fairly slow all the way up about 45 and then hit the rev. limiter that was a real joy also. So I guess 45MPH=about 6000 rpm roughly. So base on what you guy said they are not stock. Whether they are 3.73 I do not know.
Thanks to all that gave suggestions. So if I change these gears out back to stock or what other ratio for S/C.

Knight Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I really like the Roe. I am in manufacturing and the Quality of the Roe is just outstanding on top of its great looks. I have only heard great thing about the reliability and consistency of Roe’s product. I just figured that with the power so strong on the lower end with a Roe combined with those gears (still have to check tonight) would absolutely nuke whatever tires I had.

A picture is worth a thousand words

Diamondback_016.jpg

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well for all of you that gave suggestions on how to check rear gear ratio, trying to lift this car is a real trip. I even bought a new 3-ton floor jack to lift it up. Yea right. Could not get close to the rear end with it. It even hits the side sills about a .100 to high. So went with plan “B” drive to 55. Took 1st. gear fairly slow all the way up about 45 and then hit the rev. limiter that was a real joy also. So I guess 45MPH=about 6000 rpm roughly. So base on what you guy said they are not stock. Whether they are 3.73 I do not know.
Thanks to all that gave suggestions. So if I change these gears out back to stock or what other ratio for S/C.

Well there is an easier way.

Measure your rear tire diameter by marking the bottom of the sidewall and the ground below it, then rolling the car forward one tire rotation to where the mark on the tire is pointing at the ground again, and make another mark on the the ground. Divide the measured distance between the marks on the ground by 3.14159, that's your tire diameter (TD).

Take the car for a drive, and note the RPM at any convenient MPH in 4th gear. Plug those two numbers and your TD into their respective spots in the formula below to calculate your gear ratio

RPM x TD
------------- = GR
MPH x 336

-------------------------------
For sale:
Chrome ACR wheels
New SVS short shifter

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members