547r's

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
Re: 547r\'s

Daamn, daaaaamn!!!!!!!!! You guy's are out of control :D :D And all this over some little wheels..................................................................................... :usa:

LOL! Everyone with a VIPER is out of control...or should be! BTW, it's over BIG wheels not little ones. :D :usa:

SnakeAv8r

Viper Owner
Reaction score

DEVILDOG, you sure are a blow hard. I picture you pecking away at your computer, wearing gold chains, grumbling to yourself... "I'm gonna get these guys for all the times I got my ass beat in high school." I will give you one thing... you must have giant brass ones these days to give hennnnesee a check for more that 50 cents. I do suspect however that you suffer from "SSS" or Super Small Sausage.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

DEVILDOG, you sure are a blow hard. I picture you pecking away at your computer, wearing gold chains, grumbling to yourself... "I'm gonna get these guys for all the times I got my ass beat in high school." I will give you one thing... you must have giant brass ones these days to give hennnnesee a check for more that 50 cents. I do suspect however that you suffer from "SSS" or Super Small Sausage.

Seems like you and adam96 need to hookup as you both seem to have the same fixation. Too bad you've got nothing better to do at 11pm on a Saturday nite but peck away on your computer and think about peckers. :shocked:

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Anyway...I like the wheels on your car SnakeAV8R.
I can understand the concern about them looking more open, as well and not having as much traction as 17s or 18s, but the wheel wells on the Viper are HUGE, with nice wide fenders.

So (like the Saleen S7) I think that 20's fill the wheel wells nicely and make the Viper look like more like a racecar. Without having to be lowered 2" and scrape badly on speed bumps and driveways.

I wouldn't actually lower your car as it looks good now, but if you wanted it just a bit more hunkered down, you might try the Northwind lowered coil caps. They keep the stock springs, but lower the car 5/8".
That's what I did. :laugh:

Devildog,

If it means anything, even though your car looks like an over-the-top racer as well, I like the way it looks too.

They remind me of different concept car sketches. Wild, and outrageous, but cool.

Enjoy,
-Dean.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

Anyway...I like the wheels on your car SnakeAV8R.
I can understand the concern about them looking more open, as well and not having as much traction as 17s or 18s, but the wheel wells on the Viper are HUGE, with nice wide fenders.

So (like the Saleen S7) I think that 20's fill the wheel wells nicely and make the Viper look like more like a racecar. Without having to be lowered 2" and scrape badly on speed bumps and driveways.

I wouldn't actually lower your car as it looks good now, but if you wanted it just a bit more hunkered down, you might try the Northwind lowered coil caps. They keep the stock springs, but lower the car 5/8".
That's what I did. :laugh:

Devildog,

If it means anything, even though your car looks like an over-the-top racer as well, I like the way it looks too.

They remind me of different concept car sketches. Wild, and outrageous, but cool.

Enjoy,
-Dean.

Dean,
Thanks. Regarding the Northwind lowered coil caps a few questions:
1) What is cost including install if you didn't do yourself?
2) Where did you get them?
3) What effect if any did it have on ride characteristics ie. softer, harder, body roll in corners, any bottoming out, etc.?
4) Does it require any caster/camber changes?
5) Any other observations?

BTW, like your classy looking VIPER....matches your commentary too! That blue/silver combo is cool.
Regards,
Jim

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ben,

What kind of wheels are you running on your car? I used to own HRE 547's (on a C5) and I liked them a lot, but on a viper, I prefer your wheels over the split look of the 547's. Your look like HRE's too (with all those rivets.) Are they? What size and what do they cost?

SnakeAv8r,

I think your car looks great. Most importantly, YOU think it looks great, and really, that's all that matters. 90% of the people LOVE what I've done to my car. 10% of the people (mainly people on this board) don't care for it. Ironically, I don't mind. Actually, I'm somewhat thankful, as I won't see that many other cars set up the same. Dare to be brave. Dare to be unique. You only live once......satisfy yourself.

Happy motoring,

Ben

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

Ben,

What kind of wheels are you running on your car? I used to own HRE 547's (on a C5) and I liked them a lot, but on a viper, I prefer your wheels over the split look of the 547's. Your look like HRE's too (with all those rivets.) Are they? What size and what do they cost?

SnakeAv8r,

I think your car looks great. Most importantly, YOU think it looks great, and really, that's all that matters. 90% of the people LOVE what I've done to my car. 10% of the people (mainly people on this board) don't care for it. Ironically, I don't mind. Actually, I'm somewhat thankful, as I won't see that many other cars set up the same. Dare to be brave. Dare to be unique. You only live once......satisfy yourself.

Happy motoring,

Ben

Definitely HRE 546s. Not sure, but guessing 19".

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jim,

Regarding the Northwind lowered coil caps a few questions:
1) What is cost including install if you didn't do yourself?

My friend/mechanic and I installed them ourselves. We used a ratcheting tie strap to compress the springs with the car in the air. Then you just remove the coil caps and replace them with the shorter ones. we didn't have to pull the springs or any suspension bits. It's not exactly a simple job, but not terrible either, It took about 3 hrs for all four corners, but would have been MUCH quicker if we had a spring compressor (maybe 1Hr +).

2) Where did you get them?
Jon/Partsrack. I think that they were under $200 for all 4, but the cost of mods blurs with time. I've had mine on for almost a year.

3) What effect if any did it have on ride characteristics ie. softer, harder, body roll in corners, any bottoming out, etc.?
Being more than 1/2 inch lower, you can feel the road a bit more, but the turn-in is definitely crisper, and the overall feel is tighter. But it doesn't change the spring rates, so the ride is pretty close. Definitely no bottoming out.

4) Does it require any caster/camber changes?
Yes, there's no avoiding realignment. I'm pretty sure that the caster was the same, but the camber had to be adjusted.

5) Any other observations?
This was a in-between solution for me.
Bone stock, I could stick my hand sideways between the rear tire and the fender lip which looked like a 4WD option (or that the 18s were too small).

The other choice was the Eibach lowered springs, which have between 1 1/2 to 2" drop, and with the Viper only 5" above the ground, and occasionally scraping already, the concept of 3" ground clearance was not good. :(

You can definitely feel freeway expansion joints and potholes (so it's no Lexus) but it's not a bone-jarring ride and for the taut feel and handling ability (and looks)I like this solution best.

-Dean.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

Dean,
Thanks for the detailed response. I think your solution is a good compromise. I definitely agree with you on the wheel well gap but don't want to go larger than 18" wheels due to performance issues. Also, don't want to change to lowering springs and dropping 1-1/2" or more due to real world ride height issues and the fact that I have a GT2 front splitter. 5/8" sounds right, better look, better handling, maybe even a little less aero drag, don't mind a little firmer ride...think I'll give JonB a call. One other thought...does the non-spec alignment change cause any detrimental tire wear issues? Thanks again.
Jim

beckertb

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Superbar,

The wheels on my car are indeed HRE 546's full polish. They are not an R-model wheel (was not available at the time). 18" front/rear. Lowered with Eibachs. Tire selection is great. Handling is very good. Ride is firm, but not stiff. As mentioned, ground clearance is challenging (especially with the Autoform front splitter). Price was around $6000 for tires/wheels. I agree, HRE makes great wheels. I have 2 sets of 546's and one set of 545's on cars now.

Best regards,

Ben

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Although I dont own a Viper, I would preffer to go with 19's myself. To me the 20's are a bit to big but, they dont look bad. I like the lowered look, especially on the Viper. To me, if you go with 19's, you get the best of both worlds. You get a bigger rim size but, you can still lower the car back down an inch or so to make it look stock or even lower if you like. With the 20's, it looks like it adds a lot more height to the car and then if you lower it, it still seems to high. I have never seen 20's on a Viper in person, so Im just speculating from what I have seen in pictures. :p

Austin

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score

does the non-spec alignment change cause any detrimental tire wear issues?

There's really not a radical adjustment to the alignment needed.
In fact I think that the ACRs have even more movement range available within the car's factory specs, because it comes with an adjustable suspension.

Once the coil caps were installed, and the alignment adjusted to match the new suspension settings, everything felt very stable, and the tire wear seems the same as it was before.

-Dean.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

Dean,
Thanks, I'm going to check and see if I have 5/8" of additional clearance in/out the driveway and if so I will perform your mod for a little lower stance and filling of the wheel wells.

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score

im sittin here lookin at these pics and then at my bucket in the driveway with 547s on it and i just dont see a difference between the 547 and 547r? of course, i guess it could be the tequila

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

The 547R has a Reverse lip design. The outside of the wheel now has a flat lip creating a more open wheel and also allowing the center design ( spokes ) to extend further to the outside edge of the wheel.

SnakeAv8r

Viper Owner
Reaction score

DEVILDOG... are you at stock height? If you do the caps let us know how tough it was. We employ a few techs that have done the work on my viper but that procedure sounded difficult, and who do you trust to do the alignment?

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

DEVILDOG... are you at stock height? If you do the caps let us know how tough it was. We employ a few techs that have done the work on my viper but that procedure sounded difficult, and who do you trust to do the alignment?

SnakeAv8r,
Yes, I'm presently at stock. I was thinking of giving Bobby Archer a call. His shop is about a half hour from my house and I'm sure they could handle it correctly including appropriate alignment. I may have him adjust my Konis while I'm at it for improved handling. If I do I will post before and after pics and provide feedback on the install procedure and ride and handling impressions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine