752 WHP & 767 TRQ 2002 Viper with Paxton

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's up guys! Just got back from taking my car to 3SX in Charlotte NC. Have not had much sleep so if something does not make sense please ask me what I mean... Chris Hill and John at 3SX are great guys! They know what they are talking about and were willing to answer all of my questions. If you are located in that area I would highly recommend them! I went there to get a dyno tune on my 2002 Paxton with a built engine by UGR. Car was not running good before this tune. They did 4 pulls. After each pull they would play with the tune(just like any dyno tune..). When they tried to do the 5th pull the car started running like crap. The check engine light came on and it threw a 304 (misfire) code and 1296 (air fuel metering) code. I think the problem I have is the air fuel metering code. Seems like it is going into a limp mode and the car will not run right until I burn the excess fuel by running it on the highway. Anyways they stopped at this and said that we need to figure out what is causing the 1296 code. Any ideas? Ok here are a few pictures. Only have the one 752WHP sheet but will have more later. Let me know what you think!!! :headbang:

This was the second pull. It needs more work as you can see(too lean)...
picture.php

This was on the way down with my Dads 09 Vette. :nono:
picture.php

The car sitting on their AWD dyno...:2tu:
picture.php

Last edited:

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A/F seems a bit lean to me from 2250 on. Not sure on Paxton, but I'd assume it still needs to be below 12 making that much HP. 12.5 is probably borderline safe. Anybody else:dunno:

Pretty dang good numbers though.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im thinking the numbers are LOW. a built engine, paxton should be over 800 IMO. and safely too.

remind me, what fuel system is on this car ? UGR used to do custom setups.

OP
OP
J

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes one that pull it was to lean. They were dialing it in then the car started to throw that code.

It's running on the split second. This is all I know about the car right now. I did a carfax to find the last owners name but the VCA carfax did not show me any info(names) of previous owners. I am going to call the dealer that I bought this from next week to see if I can get a name and then call up Proline to see if I can get a build sheet. The car has fuel rails, aeromotive external fuel pump(not sure which one but I will see if I can find any pumpers on it), and aeromotive regulator.

(This is what UGR told me. Not sure if they got this from the build sheet or just off the top of their memory. I would think it would be more detailed if they were taking this info from the build sheet...

- Paxton Supercharger
- Pulley upgrade
- Ported cylinder heads
- Forged rods and pistons
- 8:1 compression
- I recal it having either 55lb or 65lb injectors with upgraded fuel pumps ( No notes on the pumps )

OP
OP
J

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im willing to bet at some point you will wanna change that out for an IN tank setup.

Yea, I say I will have to do that sometime down the road. Maybe next winter time.

Can anyone help me with this check engine code 1296? My manual says it is a No 5 Volts to MAP Sensor and the description is Loss of a 5 Volt feed to the MAP Sensor has been detected. :dunno:

JohnnyBravo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im thinking the numbers are LOW. a built engine, paxton should be over 800 IMO. and safely too.

remind me, what fuel system is on this car ? UGR used to do custom setups.

Yes one that pull it was to lean. They were dialing it in then the car started to throw that code.

It's running on the split second. This is all I know about the car right now. I did a carfax to find the last owners name but the VCA carfax did not show me any info(names) of previous owners. I am going to call the dealer that I bought this from next week to see if I can get a name and then call up Proline to see if I can get a build sheet. The car has fuel rails, aeromotive external fuel pump(not sure which one but I will see if I can find any pumpers on it), and aeromotive regulator.

(This is what UGR told me. Not sure if they got this from the build sheet or just off the top of their memory. I would think it would be more detailed if they were taking this info from the build sheet...

- Paxton Supercharger
- Pulley upgrade
- Ported cylinder heads
- Forged rods and pistons
- 8:1 compression
- I recal it having either 55lb or 65lb injectors with upgraded fuel pumps ( No notes on the pumps )

I'm not sure when UGR would have installed that setup, because I know that they haven't used a Split Second box or external fuel pumps for over two years. Maybe they built the motor and someone else installed the Paxton.

My car has a UGR built motor and Paxton setup and makes over 900 rwhp and runs extremely rich. My air/fuel is 10.1:1 at WOT, which is why I'm having them re-tune it for me.

I have an AEM and 3 in-tank fuel pumps on my UGR setup and it was done in 2008.

I'm sure your tuner is competent, but if you're already in Charlotte, NC, I don't know why you wouldn't just let Underground Racing look the car over for you and re-tune it for you. I ship my car all the way from Kansas to NC for them to work on mine. That's how much I trust them with my car.

OP
OP
J

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really am not sure when they did it. I think it was back in 06 or 07 but am not sure. I wanted to have UGR to do the dyno tune but they told me it was a 2 month wait!!!! Kind of got the feeling they did not want to deal with me. I could not wait 2 months so I contacted 3sx. Like I said I really do not know much about this car at all. I am learning new stuff about this every time I work on it. ha Really wish UGR would be willing to work on it. Would be nice as I know they know what they are doing! Sounds like you have a animal on your hands! Wish mine was making those numbers...

JohnnyBravo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Johnny, what PSI are you running? I'm at 9psi on those pulls...

That's about all mine makes, too. I've seen the same pulley make 16 psi on a stock motor. On my motor with the ported heads, ported intake, it only makes about 9-10 psi at peak hp.

I wish I could make 15 psi with this blower. :)

JohnnyBravo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
johnny has some strikers or SERIOUS head work though...

mine makes 13-14psi at peak.

Boost is 10 psi at peak hp. I have seen it creep to around 12 psi right around redline, but the hp is already falling off by then. I've never been able to hit anything more than 12 psi. Unfortunately, there are no smaller pulleys. I'd LOVE to see 15+ psi on my motor.

Jeff Mory stage III heads, extrude honed intake, good cam, etc, etc, all make for a motor that flows really well.

I couldn't be happier with the work UGR did for me.

To me, it's worth the wait to get in to see them.

1fast400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Them not seeing you has nothing to do with not wanting to do the work. Drive by their shop, there are 20+ cars getting full builds in there. Only so many employee's.

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really am not sure when they did it. I think it was back in 06 or 07 but am not sure. I wanted to have UGR to do the dyno tune but they told me it was a 2 month wait!!!! quote]

When someone tells me they have a two month wait, I tell them to hire more people.

1fast400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really am not sure when they did it. I think it was back in 06 or 07 but am not sure. I wanted to have UGR to do the dyno tune but they told me it was a 2 month wait!!!! quote]

When someone tells me they have a two month wait, I tell them to hire more people.

Considering the size of their business 3-4 years ago and the size of it now, I'd say their business model is working just fine. Especially in this economy. There is a reason UGR customers are loyalist. It isn't because the service is bad or the work is crappy.

99VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That is an educated response. Maybe you should do a little research on Underground before you pop off like you know what you are talking about; because, it's obvious that you don't.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wanted to say I think nothing bad of UGR. I just think they are very busy and did not have time to deal with me. Sometimes that does happen. Would love to have them tune my car and will still keep calling to see if I get lucky and get a open spot.

ACRSNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's amazing how the Viper just makes the 'Vette vanish when parked next to it.

Not true, I can see it right there next to the Viper. Its yellow with chrome rims. Very nice I might add. ;)