8 plants to shut down perminantly

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
did anyboby hear wich ones?i think i heard a not so good news- wich ones anybody know

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I could have sworn that I read(perhaps in the Detroit News) that ALL Chrysler plants are shutting down for a time:dunno:

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good question - I didn't hear that news. All I heard was that all plants are shutting down on Monday to allow this process to sink in... If CAAP is one of the plants to shut down permenantly, they'll have to finish the current run and that'll be it until a buyer (hopefully) picks it up.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe CAAP was one of the ones to be permanently shut down. Along with SHAP and Sterling Stamping among others.

btw SHAP = Sterling Heights Assembly which makes the Sebring/Avenger.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If CAAP is one of the plants to shut down permenantly, they'll have to finish the current run and that'll be it until a buyer (hopefully) picks it up.
I believe CAAP was one of the ones to be permanently shut down. Along with SHAP and Sterling Stamping among others.
Not quite true. We spoke with the plant (CAAP) earlier today and all is well. As announced yesterday, there will be several plants idled for the next 30-60 days while the bankruptcy gets fast tracked, however we don't know that Conner is one of them. Most importantly, there are NO plans to shutter it completely or until the new buyer takes over - indeed, they will be announcing a very exciting new option on the car in the next few days. Stay tuned! :2tu:

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Long Live Viper is what i am hearing from members on this forum who are in 'The Know'

Bruce

OP
OP
B

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if caap is supposed to,you know what,i dont think it will be long live the viper sorry to say,but i hope everybody is:usa: wrong but the people that say---long live the viper----

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would assume/expect all plants to go idle 30-60 days while the bankruptcy proceedings are underway. That doesn't mean plants won't open back up especially those with half-built and/or new orders to be filled a.k.a Viper/CAAP. Personally, I don't believe the issue is CAAP not opening but possibly being derailed by supplier/vendor issues. I'm certain there are many anxious suppliers that want to know they can get paid and I imagine this will also be ironed out during the bankruptcy proceedings. Besides...FIAT must realize that Viper, while a small volume production car, can fetch $$$ either by continuing production or selling the Viper line. Either way, it's CASH for Fiat.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
indeed, they will be announcing a very exciting new option on the car in the next few days. Stay tuned!
I would think people would think twice about placing an order for a new car at this point. I know I would.

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also during BK proceedings there will not be any "new" Viper owner unless a judge signs off on it. The time for getting this done was before yesterday, now on indefinite hold.

According to some bankruptcy lawyers there is no such thing as a 'surgical' (quick) bankruptcy. Don't be surprised if this drags out for quite some time (many months or more).

And yes, there will not be any Viper production (as there hasn't been anyway, CAAP was open for what, 2 weeks (Mar30-Apr10?), and only finished 12 Vipers? That's the daily run rate, to take 2 weeks to make that means they were running a skeleton crew anyway and then production shut down because of a lack of parts. I'm sure those parts were in the bin from late last year and no more will be showing up until suppliers get paid and that's not going to happen for a while.

Hopefully at the end of the court proceedings a buyer will be allowed to pick up the Viper brand and CAAP and that's probably been the "plan" for a while now (on part of the mystery buyer).

Until then, a lot of anguish and more frustation for sure (at not knowing what will happen).

-J

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey...does anyone know if the judge overseeing the bankruptcy proceedings is a Viper enthusiast? Maybe we should send him a raffle ticket to grease the skids a bit?

ViperGal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How could the judge not support amazing American Engineering and a 600hp world record holding production car that is also low emissions and had an uptick in sales! That would be un-patriotic! :drive:

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel sorry for the people in Michigan. With GM and now Chrysler shutting down for the summer there are going to be a lot of ancillary businesses hurting this year.

Lucid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Worst thing that will happen is Viper is discontinued. They'll still need to produce parts for it for years. And since vipers have a strong following companies that supply parts to us now will have the opportunity to service and work on them. Finally giving us the treatment we want, not the typical dodge treatment.

Good example is DMC Delorean Motor company.

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Latest word is that CAAP IS on the list to be shut down.

That was obvious...since they are planning on selling it off, one way or another it was going to be.

Hopefully a buyer will commit during the BK proceedings, would only make sense that they have waited until this point (to get the absolute best price), that is, if there still is anyone in the game.

-J

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If a sale of the Viper Enterprise goes through, I would expect the new owner to use a different physical plant. I do not think it would be that difficult to move the equipment currently located at CAAP to a different and more efficient location. It would also make alot of sense to do so for a number of reasons. Among them being:

1. Union employees will probably not be used and/or, in the alternative, some retired, very experienced, former Viper line employees could be hired. They would probably be thrilled to reengage. In any event, labor costs will be significantly reduced.

2. They could relocate manufacturing to a more hospitable climate where future buyers could visit and would like to visit for other reasons to sit down and, on a more customized basis, choose the way they want their Viper optioned with a number of different delivery options available.

3. If they have not considered same, they should have an advisory Board consisting of some of this sites well know tuners and a few of its Viper fanatics ( I will volunteer but not if it is in Detroit.), which on a volunteer basis, provides nonbinding input going forward.

Last edited:

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys (and gals), let's try and set the record straight and establish the sky isn't falling and the VIPER IS NOT DEAD - not by a long shot. Remember that news outlets make money by attracting readers. They attract readers with sensational stories like

OCTOMOM HAS SURPRISE NINTH BABY, NOW CALLED NINAMOM
"I guess he was just hiding there the whole time"

SWINE FLU FOUND IN DRINKING WATER
"Infected water discovered in trough at pig farm in rural Mexico"

CHRYSLER PLANT CLOSURE SPELLS END OF VIPER

"If you skip the fine print, UAW contracts, and everything else"

First, let's look at a more complete article that skips the hype and reports facts, like this one:

Chrysler to close 5 more plants; court case begins

Now, a couple quotes that are CRITICAL in this article and are facts that Left Lane chose to leave out:

1. The lead-in: "NEW YORK – Attorneys for Chrysler LLC said the company will file a motion by Saturday morning to sell substantially all of its assets to Italian automaker Fiat Group SpA, but that won't include eight plants, including five that the automaker revealed it will shutter by the end of next year."
  2. It then goes on to say, "The eight plants would be left out of a deal for Italy's Fiat to buy the U.S. carmaker's most valuable assets in bankruptcy. Instead, the "new Chrysler" would lease the plants then shutter them by December 2010."
Now, does anybody remember the "CAAP closing" thread regarding UAW negotiations? Yep, over a year and a half ago they announced that CAAP was closing and we held a moment of silence. Then we read the fine print directly from the UAW and learned that CAAP would stay open, by contract with the UAW, through the end of the current product lifecycle. Well folks, the current Viper is certified through 2010, they are already planning some different (non-certification) things for it, and will shortly announce a new option that is ready for ordering on the 2009 (two people already ordered it).

So this "closing" should come as no surprise as we learned about it almost two years ago. What we didn't know at the time was that Chrysler would offer to sell the platform to an outside buyer. We have since learned that they not only made the offer, but have at least four interested parties. And guess what? That hasn't changed a bit. People are ordering Vipers, the plant is building them, and more are to come. So, one more time with the facts:

1. This closing was already announced well over a year ago
  2. They further defined it today and are planning to close it at the end of 2010
  3. That means that not only will 2009's continue, but 2010's look like a lock
  4. They are in active discussions with potential buyers of the platform
  5. Those buyers may have the option of buying the plant or doing something else
  6. They have numerous sold orders still left to build (by contract)
  7. They continue to develop different options for the Viper - one to be announced shortly
And finally, we would politely remind everybody that the VCA has had the privilege of working directly with the manufacturer for years, as well as the owners and even a potential buyer or three. We are in discussions with all concerned parties on an almost-daily basis, including several calls today. The Viper isn't dead. The Viper isn't on its last legs. The Viper is very much alive, well, and ready to continue kicking asp!

Respectfully submitted,

Chris Marshall, National President
Marv Spatz, National Vice President
Lee Stubberfield, National Treasurer
Bobby Cerchione, National Secretary

Hans Christian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris you are the man - thanks for keeping all tha nay sayers and pessimists in check.

Full support from here and hopefully I can soon call up my good friend Bill P and order a new ACR to my existing stable!

GO VIPER!

THEMASH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
and will shortly announce a new option that is ready for ordering on the 2009 (two people already ordered it).

They continue to develop different options for the Viper - one to be announced shortly

When can we find out what this NEW option is ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi