911 4s or viper

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I've had a Gen II GTS for about 8 years. I bought a 911 TT and kept it for one summer and sold it. The porsche is a great car, but when you get in the viper you can't stop from smilling. Can't say the 911 turbo ever had the feeling or personality to make me feel the same way as I do with the viper.

I get a similar impression of the car. Lots of the newer performance cars have some pretty awesome technology in them, but because of that they often seem to lack some kind of X factor or soul. I had a 2000 XKR for about a year that I had a similar issue with. Had all the gadgets I've never had, looked dang ****, and was comfy and somewhat sporty to drive. In the long run it was just too boring. I got tired of the auto in a hurry and really wanted a stick and some thrill. I heard similar complaints with GT-Rs and some other cars. They're stupid fast, but so precise and technical that you don't feel like you're doing anything. They're good cars for lap times, but not necessarily for thrills. That being said there's a 911 with a 750 EVT package that I go on drives with that's nuts to try to keep up with and he has a blast whenever he drives it, lol.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SRT Viper......Enough already. You have started a bunch of threads just asking essentially the same questions. Asking for opinions and some real life feedback from owners.

When no one seems interested in your thread any longer, you then start another one, asking the same things over and over again.

Truly, action speaks louder than words. You have literally got 100's of responses to your questions.

Now go away, drive some cars and make a decision.

Let us know when you actually decided and are driving the vehicle that won your approval.

Seems like that may be a few years from now though...since you are throwing the C7 in there as a possible.

Matt

lol this is laughable. My last thread was on viper sales. This was actually the first thread I made comparing it to other cars but ok there buddy. I may have asked similar questions from multiple owners which is perfectly ok and the correct thing to do because people have different tolerances and opinions so I'd like to find out what the majority opinion is not just what 2 or 3 people have to say about something.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was my complaint about the 991S

It is a technical marvel. But it has no soul. It is too refined.

I would never say being too refined is a bad thing. The 911 4S just needed more power and it would have been perfect. I'm sure if I drove a 911 turbo S I would think it was wonderful but then it is 50k more than the viper so I"m not willing to do that.

There is probably no car more refined than a bugatti but I bet that car is a thrill to drive every time. I am not into this soul talk. Usually the higher tech you put in a car and more interventions the more power you need to keep that thrill. Or you need a way to turn them all off. But you never want a brute of a car past the 100k range. That is unacceptable. But from a couple of people that doesn't appear to be the case with this viper. It appears to be refined with a slight amount of brute which is ok if it is a tiny bit.

But not so unrefined like my car where it just gets annoying.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now your comparing Bugattis. What a joke. Your Daddy isn't going to buy you anything kid.

The only sad joke here is you and your reading comprehension. I clearly said being too refined isn't a bad thing if done properly and used the bugatti as an example. And yea your right my daddy isn't going to buy me anything, I agree with you on that.....though it's not like I need him to, to afford this car.

I hope your not someone who is like 30 and talking like this. Or someone who doesn't even have a gen V nor means to get one.

emericr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The forum members here are a rough crowd. Trust me, I was bashed hard when I debated about a Viper or a 4 door high hp saloon. Obviously, you are comparing closer competitors.
I would not spend 156K on a 911S. You will lose a lot of $$$ on that purchase. I had a 911S and sold it after one year because I hated the lack of torque. I had always been used to V8s. The only one I would go for is the GT3.
Since you stated that it will be a DD week end car, I would chose the Viper as long as you are OK with the attention. This issue actually was a negative for me on the Viper. I speed quite a bit and I would be without a license right now or driving slow which takes the whole fun out of it if I had the Viper.
The new M6 is nothing like the old one. Too much GT and luxury car. I think the new C7 is nice but I would not want a first year GM product and would have to wait for Z06/ZR1.
Have you considered the new Jag F Type?

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You still on her talking about it..Make a decision and go get a Gen.5 or get off the internet and go make some more money and get a 911 Turbo S.Both are outstanding...

commandomatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol this is laughable. My last thread was on viper sales. This was actually the first thread I made comparing it to other cars but ok there buddy. I may have asked similar questions from multiple owners which is perfectly ok and the correct thing to do because people have different tolerances and opinions so I'd like to find out what the majority opinion is not just what 2 or 3 people have to say about something.

Laughable....Yes you are right. The fact that you seem more concerned about what other people think than making your of decisions based on what is important to you....that is in fact laughable and a bit sad

You obviously have some very specific needs and requirements and that's fine but when you are asking questions like how the Gen V will perform during the winter months, with certain tires.....when no one really has had a chance to experience that (and a very low percentage of owners will even consider driving their Viper in the wintertime in those cold states) its hard to take you seriously. Guessing how the Viper will stack up against the C7/ZR1 that is not even built yet, and when it finally is, our Viper may be different from what you have available now.....again, you are getting nothing but speculation.

Spend less time on the keyboard and more time in the seat of cars that you are considering. It doesn't matter what you may have read somewhere or what 3 dozen Viper, Vette, Porsche or other gear heads are telling you.....make your own experiences and base your decision on those.

Matt

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Laughable....Yes you are right. The fact that you seem more concerned about what other people think than making your of decisions based on what is important to you....that is in fact laughable and a bit sad

You obviously have some very specific needs and requirements and that's fine but when you are asking questions like how the Gen V will perform during the winter months, with certain tires.....when no one really has had a chance to experience that (and a very low percentage of owners will even consider driving their Viper in the wintertime in those cold states) its hard to take you seriously. Guessing how the Viper will stack up against the C7/ZR1 that is not even built yet, and when it finally is, our Viper may be different from what you have available now.....again, you are getting nothing but speculation.

Spend less time on the keyboard and more time in the seat of cars that you are considering. It doesn't matter what you may have read somewhere or what 3 dozen Viper, Vette, Porsche or other gear heads are telling you.....make your own experiences and base your decision on those.

Matt

Well I want to see if the car can ride in the cold. People said the shelby can't and that was complete BS. I get better traction on my winter tires in the cold then I ever did in 100 degree weather with those crap goodyears that came on it. There is nothing wrong with driving the car in the cold (pay attention cold, not snow). And really the details I want from the current viper owners is how the car feels since I may not ever get a chance to drive in one because dealers are a$$holes. Believe me if I could drive in the car I wouldn't have to ask you all for your opinions.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wasn't Muhammad ali better?

You could argue all day about that... Define better ? Who was more intimidating ? Who was more muscular ? Who crushed his opponents ? Who was the Boxer ? Who was the puncher ? Who was the dancer ? Who was smug and who was a **** ? Both controversial. Both great in their own way but I just prefer the Tyson persona and style.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The forum members here are a rough crowd. Trust me, I was bashed hard when I debated about a Viper or a 4 door high hp saloon. Obviously, you are comparing closer competitors.
I would not spend 156K on a 911S. You will lose a lot of $$$ on that purchase. I had a 911S and sold it after one year because I hated the lack of torque. I had always been used to V8s. The only one I would go for is the GT3.
Since you stated that it will be a DD week end car, I would chose the Viper as long as you are OK with the attention. This issue actually was a negative for me on the Viper. I speed quite a bit and I would be without a license right now or driving slow which takes the whole fun out of it if I had the Viper.
The new M6 is nothing like the old one. Too much GT and luxury car. I think the new C7 is nice but I would not want a first year GM product and would have to wait for Z06/ZR1.
Have you considered the new Jag F Type?

Yea I like the new jag. But I can't get over the fact its a jaguar and their cars are sketchy to say the least. But yea the viper attention I'm ok with. It doesn't bother me. I get a lot of attention in the shelby and I am use to it. But yea after driving the 911 S I'm thinking that should be crossed off the list and replaced with used turbo S because it had zero torque and I like big torque.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jags aren't so sketchy actually. Tata has done a decent job with them and many models are now coming in awd. I personally checked out the new XKR-S (also comes in vert) and the thing is pretty bad ass. High depreciation and 100hp less than the snake for the same price though. VIPER!!!!!!!!!!

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As much as I love the Gen 4 Viper, getting a new Porsche GT3 is always on the back of my mind. What an awesome looking and performing car. Reliable too.:drive:

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jags aren't so sketchy actually. Tata has done a decent job with them and many models are now coming in awd. I personally checked out the new XKR-S (also comes in vert) and the thing is pretty bad ass. High depreciation and 100hp less than the snake for the same price though. VIPER!!!!!!!!!!

Well I'll go to a local dealer and check out the F type. At 106k fully optioned it isn't so bad. Though I really love how the viper looks way more inside and out especially that sepia interior.

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I want to see if the car can ride in the cold. People said the shelby can't and that was complete BS. I get better traction on my winter tires in the cold then I ever did in 100 degree weather with those crap goodyears that came on it. There is nothing wrong with driving the car in the cold (pay attention cold, not snow). And really the details I want from the current viper owners is how the car feels since I may not ever get a chance to drive in one because dealers are a$$holes. Believe me if I could drive in the car I wouldn't have to ask you all for your opinions.

You can go drive a Viper, they are available for rent. A Porsche dealer will let you test drive a car. You and your personallity will decide the rest. If you want a Porsche to compare to the Viper, I think your best option would be a GT3. If you don't go crazy on options they are a similar price to a GTS Viper, and are most like a Viper in personallity.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And about the sepia interior: I like it as much if not better than the Bentley interior & that's saying alot!!

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And about the sepia interior: I like it as much if not better than the Bentley interior & that's saying alot!!

I did literally go to a bentley dealer to feel the leather then go to the viper dealer to compare. They were nearly identical in quality with the bentley wrapping being slightly better. Though I'm not sure with the leather on the dash it seemed more rough than the leather on the doors and seat in the sepia interior. That is the only thing that surprises me because SRT went to ferrari to learn how to wrap properly but some of their leather was wrinkly while bentley is smooth and wrinkle free everywhere. When I sat in a black leguna leather viper it didn't have this problem. I know there is a combination of sweedish and italian leather so I'm wondering which part is sweedish and which part is the italian.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can go drive a Viper, they are available for rent. A Porsche dealer will let you test drive a car. You and your personallity will decide the rest. If you want a Porsche to compare to the Viper, I think your best option would be a GT3. If you don't go crazy on options they are a similar price to a GTS Viper, and are most like a Viper in personallity.

I can't figure out on the hertz website to see if there is one with a viper near me otherwise I'd pay like 400 dollars to drive it for the day.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
then again, the Bentley seats literally massage you (seriously):omg:

yes they do indeed. I want to know what leather they are using. There is a dealer like a 2 min walk from my work. They are bentley and rolls maybe I'll go during my lunch break and just go sit in it for 5 minutes lol.

madninjaskillz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are all over the map here. It's hard to take people seriously when they sound like scategories.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are all over the map here. It's hard to take people seriously when they sound like scategories.

Lol relax the conversation just got side tracked to bentley leather quality and how the viper is close to it. Never did I say I'm going to go buy a bentley or a rolls.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the implication seems to be that you're a wannabe. Purchase the Viper and prove them wrong!!!!

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the implication seems to be that you're a wannabe. Purchase the Viper and prove them wrong!!!!

Yea it appears to be. Unfortunately I don't have the free time in my day to argue with the disbelievers otherwise I can't work to afford the viper lol.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang