'94 oil pan bolts should be checked.

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
\'94 oil pan bolts should be checked.

I had to replace my battery today and while I was working on the car I decided to look under the engine. I noticed that one of my oil pan bolts was missing. I replaced it and then checked the others. Every last one of them was extremely loose. Some of them were barely finger tight. I don't know what the torque spec is on these bolts but obviously if they are loose enough to fall out, that isn't good. I tightened them up but didn't make them too tight 'cause I didn't want to strip any. The good news is that I didn't have any oil leaks.

I don't know if this happens to all Gen I's but definitely worth checking. If anyone has the torque spec on these, please post it. One of these days when I have a few hours I am going to go over the whole car and see if there are other loose bolts. I found one of the tranny housing bolts to be pretty loose too so maybe its just something that happens over time. Beats being rusted tight!

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: \'94 oil pan bolts should be checked.

I have retightened mine every winter. Noticed the same loosening issue several years back when there was a small area of oil weeping around the gasket. Tightening the screws stopped further weeping.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang