94 rt won't start

Pry

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm on a side of a road and my car won't start. When I turn the key nothing happens (just the fan turns off). The starter motor won't even try to turn. It's just like when I don't fully depress the clutch but it is fully depressed. What could be the problem?

Last edited:

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a thougt. I had this problem in my 95 until I had the clutch pedal assembly replaced.

Try pressing the pedal down with your left foot and pushing it more in the passenger side direction hard. My bushing wore out on mine and did the same thing. It does exactly as described and does not hit the neutral safety switch.

ed

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did the car die while driving or were you stopped and now it won't crank up? If you were already stopped, have you checked to be sure the floormat hasn't bunched up under the clutch pedal? That would be the easiest solution. Does the clutch feel like normal? Or is it possible something in the linkage is broke? The plastic birdcages that hold the master cylinder rod to the pedal have been known to break, thus not activating the neutral safety switch when the clutch is depressed.

Just a thougt. I had this problem in my 95 until I had the clutch pedal assembly replaced.

Try pressing the pedal down with your left foot and pushing it more in the passenger side direction hard. My bushing wore out on mine and did the same thing. It does exactly as described and does not hit the neutral safety switch.

ed

I hadn't thought of that. Same thing happened to mine. Cheap fix, just a little time consuming

OP
OP
P

Pry

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thank you. The problem was with the clutch safety switch.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Too late now, but you can jump the switch so it starts without pushing on the clutch. Of course, don't have anyone in front of the car if you forget this.

R

RTED

ACELLR8 may be on the right track regarding your problem. The bushings on the clutch pedal are nylon and wear with use creating excessive side play on the pedal when depressed not allowing the the clutch safety switch to make contact. Wiggle the clutch pedal and if you feel excessive play, the bushings may need replacement. Chuck Tator from Tator Dodge helped walk me through the replacment process and provided the replacement bushings quickly. Order an extra set for the next time.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To replace the bushings the pedal swings on, you might have to remove the hydraulic clutch linkage. It's easy; insert screwdriver and twist. You cannot force the link off without damaging the plastic part.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felixagg