96 GTS Hood Pad Grounding Straps

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone have two of these? These are the braided wire straps that run from the hood pad to the hood hinge bolts on both sides to ground the hood pad.

I ordered a new hood pad from Dodge and these did not come with it. I think they were supposed to come with the hood pad as they are not a separate orderable part.

Ground straps and hood pad were not on the car when I bought it. My Viper tech said the hood pads are often taken off to reduce weight minimally and because they dump dust on the engine when they start to deteriorate. The hood pad apparantly serves as a fire suppressent in the event of an engine fire and the engine heat does not impact hood paint.

PM me if you have a decent condition pair you will part with.

Thanks!

Don

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don, someone really told you it will save weight? :lmao:
You need to have that Dealer order you another one and if that one comes in without them, then that Dealer needs to do an MRA on the parts and contact their QC department to fix the problem!

OP
OP
S

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don, someone really told you it will save weight? :lmao:
You need to have that Dealer order you another one and if that one comes in without them, then that Dealer needs to do an MRA on the parts and contact their QC department to fix the problem!

The hood pads, clips and ground straps may save 3-4 pounds? Kind of like giving up the radio in an ACR. The local tech said he sees a lot of Vipers that have had them removed. I don't recollect seeing one dropping dust either.

I am working with the dealership on the ground straps. Not moving quickly, though.

OP
OP
S

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any luck ?

The dealer claims have ordered me a new hood pad that should have the grounding straps and when it comes in I need to bring the one they sold me without the starps back. Every time I call they say they will follow up on why it has not come in and call me back. They got the first hood pad I ordered in about three days.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The dealer claims have ordered me a new hood pad that should have the grounding straps and when it comes in I need to bring the one they sold me without the starps back. Every time I call they say they will follow up on why it has not come in and call me back. They got the first hood pad I ordered in about three days.

If you get tired of messing with them I have a pair I will give you. To make them shine like new, you might want to soak them in some (jewelry??) cleaner. They are on my 1996 hood pad.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte