96 GTS PRICING

SnakeBolt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok guys, question, i think i might as well wait a little longer and get a 96 gts instead of a 94-95 rt/10 b/c of a lot of things. what is a good price for them.... this will become real feasible if i can get one for 40-42k....can that happen....what about in 8-12months when i do it, will they be a little lower then b/c of the 03 srt.....i know i'll prob pay about 9k more for the 96gts than the gen 1 rt/10 but i think its worth it..........

bill

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you look HARD and have patience, you WILL find a 97 or 97 GTS for 39k to 45k, period. Someone asking 45k for a GTS is a prime candidate to offer 40 to 42k for it. Asking price and SELLING price are two different matters. If someone won't bargain, they don't want to sell their car bad enough. People that WANT to sell, WILL bargain. You're probably going to find the mileage to be around 25k to 50k. But that shouldn't worry you, that'll be JUST broken in..

Good Luck!

Gerald

Acatala7

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dude, 40-42k for a 96 GTS? not unless it's in really bad shape, stolen, or the owner happens to be high on crack at the moment of the transaction. Expect to pay mid to low 50s for a good one.You may want to consider saving more money or at least waiting till buying a Viper isn't such a finacial sacrifice.You can't always get what you want.......but if you try sometimes..oh nevermind

Viablo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Snakebolt,

This weekend i went to the NYC auto show and saw the new viper for the second time. This time it was not roped off and i was able to examine it real close. From the looks alone i think the older body style is waaay more aggressive looking and has a more stunning appearence. So i don't know if the 03 is going to affect the pricing of the older models.

BTW i felt the same way about the Lamborghini Murcielago. It is also more refined than the Diablo and has a less aggressive appearence. It seems that these cars are getting rounder or smoother looking. I guess you could say that they are more 'gentlemanly looking.'

monnieh

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I sat in the new lambo just a couple of months ago, guy only wanted $290K for it (used).

I have a RT/10 97 with 34K miles on it, but I would really rather have a GTS I think.

Do you think asking $47K is resonable? I would grade the car a in "very good" condition.

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow! I myself have never seen any 96/97 GTS for $39K - $45K. If you can find it that low, well, good luck.

I'd say mid $50's right about now. Just my opinion based on what I've seen advertised.

OP
OP
S

SnakeBolt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
um, didn't dan cragin have a customer who got a divorce or something and had to sell his gts for like 45k....what i am saying is, i think i can find one, i'll just be patient.....oh.....actala.....the reason i am having to wait is so that it wont be a sacrafice....i said i can get a 94 in a couple months, or wait a few more and get a gts, dont always assume just because someone has to save money to get something that its a huge financial burden.....i choose to save money so it wont be......

excuse me, dan's customers car was 50k.....still, thats a 97, what i mean is, they are out there
bill

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My $.02
smile.gif

For some reason the 96/97 don't seem to be depreciating at all! If you look at the price difference between a 00 & 99 or between a 99 & 98 you get the impression the 97 & 96 should be significantly lower than they sell for
confused.gif
The blue/white GTS even seems to command a premium over an equal condition 98 Anyway this is what it seems like to me. Holding you breath to ****** up a cheap ($40K) 96 GTS would seem futile as it don't seem that they will be in that price range for a very long time, if ever. Now I'm sure you could find a high mileage or rebuilt GTS for that price if you look hard enough.

ndvipergtsr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have seen no less than six 96-97 GTS,S in the past month for less than 44k now you know these are not showroom new cars but doesn,t mean their clapped out beaters either. I know of a 96 GTS with 50k miles for sale right now for 39,900.00 it,s on Auto trader if you want to call the guy, but their out there and if your willing to have one with some miles you can get a steal, showroom car sales in CA had a 97 red/gold wheel car with 55k supposedly mint and sold for 35k yes 35k. I called the tech who worked on this one and he confirmed it was very well taken care of but someone else beat me to it. Just be careful and never never buy sight unseen. Jerry

RECOIL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can get one any day of the week for less than 50k, just not from some of the dealers.

I'm still amazed at guys who want 59k for for a 98/99. I sold my 00 GTS with upgrades for 57k and it took months to find a buyer.

I'm looking at a 99 ACR for 49,995 right now - low miles.

Steve

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my advice....

don't blow all your $$ on the car, it will break your heart when you have to sell it later. A guy in my town (about 25 years old) bought a used 94 RT/10 last year for 72K canadian (didn't know anything) and drove it for 2 weeks till we got snow. Well spring is here and guess what's for sale cheap because someone blew all their $$$ on a car. I know it's tempting (I know I woud be) but it's not going to be fun selling it if something comes up and you have to part with it.

But if you have the $$ to throw around by a means buy it, just don't break the bank.

Craig

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think for that price you have to look at higher miles and "good condition". You could always get lucky and find a 'Steal' for the price you mentioned, but I doubt it! I continuously look for the 'steal' that will force me to buy another one, but haven't found it yet!
I agree with Gerald 100%, negotiate hard!
Here's one for you though!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1816857416

Good luck!

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have seen PLENTY of 96 GTS with high mileage for low 40's..
Just look around.. you'll catch 'em..

Gerald

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RECOIL:
I'm still amazed at guys who want 59k for for a 98/99. I sold my 00 GTS with upgrades for 57k and it took months to find a buyer.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When I took my car in for service the other day, someone associated with the dealership (part-owner?) had just got a 98 gts at auction for $58.5K?! And they thought it was a good deal!
laugh.gif
I didn't bother to correct them...

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well didn't find any '96 with high milage but here are a couple 97's. One only has 23K miles. for $45,000

1997 DODGE Viper, GTS, red, with black leather int., 6 spd., factory air, pw, ps, p/locks, tilt, cruise, CD, adult driven, meticulously maintained, garaged with cover, showroom condition, 23k mi., $45,900, 904-363-0694.

http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/vdetail.jtmpl?car_id=90712661&dealer_id=&certified=n&max_price=49000&start_year=1997&end_year=1998&address=34688&search_type=used&make=DODGE&mode l=VIPER&min_price=35000&distance=any&advcd_on=n&advanced=n&color=&car_year=1997&ac_afflt=none

1997 Dodge Viper
1997 DODGE VIPER - GTS, red/black leather, warr good until Sept 21, 2003, all maint paperwork avail, $45,000, call 602-989-2581,
$45000

http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/vdetail.jtmpl?car_id=89392756&dealer_id=&certified=n&max_price=49000&start_year=1997&end_year=1998&address=34688&search_type=used&make=DODGE&mode l=VIPER&min_price=35000&distance=any&advcd_on=n&advanced=n&color=&car_year=1998&ac_afflt=none

artman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RECOIL:
You can get one any day of the week for less than 50k, just not from some of the dealers.

I'm looking at a 99 ACR for 49,995 right now - low miles.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let me know if that deal falls through. What is it's mileage? I'll take that '99 ACR for $50k if never wrecked and in excellent condition in a heartbeat.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think one of the keys is to try and get a warranty on the car - preferably a factory or factory-backed extended warranty. A friend of mine bought a '96 that originally sold for $92,000 (gouged for one of the first coupes). He bought it for $57,000 in 1998. He was very excited and didn't think much about the warranty. Soon afterwards he found that the engine had been blown and then rebuilt by the Chevy dealership that had it - thereby voiding the warranty. Nor could he buy an extended warranty because the vehicle had already been red-flagged for a non-Arrow rebuild. If the car had any problems he was going to have to pay. Bottom line: While you might be able to find a clean '96 for the low 40's, if you end up having to rebuild the motor out of warranty you could end up with a $50K car anyway. You get what you pay for...

Chris

Eddie N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow bonkers, and that car is saphire blue (NICE)... that picture doesnt really show any damage, but why the hell do you think it has a salvage title? it only has 1500 miles on it and its a 2001... surely to fix that car wouldnt cost 40k..

my only guess is that someone starting rebuilding it, then gave up and decided to sell out.

- eddie -

Eddie N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
theres a smacked up black 00 GTS with 3000 miles for 35k on autotrader.. it doesnt really look too bad.. it still has a good title as well..

i know the hoods are expensive, but you can probably find one on another wrecked car that was rear ended... or just call john hennessey, he will probably sell you a new hood cheap
laugh.gif
..the car is located in miami.. if i wasnt a poor farm worker i would call..
smile.gif

- eddie -

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Chris - If your friend didn't ask about the warranty then he' S.O.L. If it was implied he can force the Chevy dealership to pay for damages.

Eddie - $40k is common but I'm finding a lot of wrecked cars in the low-mid thirties all over the place. I find it hysterical that the blue GTS with the missing headlight
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1816820908&r=0&t=0

is well over the $40k original asking price from the salvage yard selling it.
http://www.economynj.com/cars.htm

No one truly ever researches these cars.

ndvipergtsr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
MichaelP, The ad i was Talking about was on there the other day the guy,s phone # is 412-812-7269(Mike) car is in PA and has 51k miles and claims new tires and 50k service.Price is 39,900.00. Hope this helps your search. Jerry

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960